Board logo

cam belt cover.
YOUSAY54 - 4/2/19 at 02:49 PM

Hi All have a 1600 pinto in my car with no cambelt cover, what I want to know is 1.6 and 2.0 cover the same size? and do I have to remove anything around the water pump area to fit, thanks for any help,

rusty nuts - 4/2/19 at 05:06 PM

Might be better posting in the wanted section ? I,ve seen one for sale in the last couple of days but have cleared my browsing history, it may have been on Facebook in the kitcar and parts for sale/wanted site?

jollygreengiant - 4/2/19 at 05:12 PM

1.6 and 2.0 cam covers are NOT the same size, unless it is the 1.6Emax then that IS the same size. In the early days they used to stamp 1.6 on the 1.6 cam covers and 2.0 on the 2.0 cam covers (centre of bit that covers the cam sprocket). The difference is in the height of the block. 1.6Emax and 2.0 used the same block (same crank just smaller pistons for the 1.6Emax).
no you don't need to undo anything around the water pump. One pump bolt should be longer than the others, this is what the cam cover engages onto at the water pump, the one bolt at the bottom of the cover, one below the cam pulley (engages into another longer bolt that secures the tensioner and a third(/fourth) bolt to the side(s) of the cam pulley. (all from memory as its been a year or two since I played with these).

YOUSAY54 - 5/2/19 at 03:07 PM

Thanks for the info, going to leave as is no cover, just have to watch my hands etc

James - 6/2/19 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YOUSAY54
Thanks for the info, going to leave as is no cover, just have to watch my hands etc

Having found a stone sitting in the 'v' between the belt and the oil pump pulley can I suggest you fit the cover!

God knows what this would've done to the engine if it'd gone any further!!!

Cheers,
James

jollygreengiant - 6/2/19 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Having found a stone sitting in the 'v' between the belt and the oil pump pulley can I suggest you fit the cover!

Cheers,
James

Why worry, I have never heard of a Pinto clattering it's valves when the belt goes. When we used them in Cortina's for taxi's they never used to fit the covers, always carried a spare belt (and tools to do the job, which was not many) in the boot. Drive the cars until the belt broke then replace it at the road side and carry on working. It used to only take about 20 minutes.

mcerd1 - 6/2/19 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Cheers,
James

Why worry, I have never heard of a Pinto clattering it's valves when the belt goes. When we used them in Cortina's for taxi's they never used to fit the covers, always carried a spare belt (and tools to do the job, which was not many) in the boot. Drive the cars until the belt broke then replace it at the road side and carry on working. It used to only take about 20 minutes.

^^ I though it was only the std. 2.0 one thats a non-interference engine - the others aren't so safe

rusty nuts - 7/2/19 at 08:00 AM

I’ve had a couple of Pinto lumps bend valves over the years, can’t remember what size engines though,

40inches - 7/2/19 at 09:35 AM

Not cheap, but cheaper than a replacement engine/ repair I suppose?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=+pinto+cam+belt+cover&_sacat=0