Board logo

Anyone used classic mini front and rear subframes / suspension in their locost ?
bennjamin - 27/10/16 at 08:43 PM

Hey everyone

Just a quick question - has anyone used classic mini front and or rear subframes and suspension for their locost ?
I ask for a few reasons - ease and price of parts the main but in my particular case the mini has almost dead on tracking , wheel base and vehicle weight vs the car
I am using. Plus , the rear frame can be used with a RWD trailing arm kit. ( for example there are mini kits with utilise this)

Of course it will not be a bolt not affair but hey - if it can suit and I'm it changing the overall geometry why not ? You tell me hahahhaha !

mike.williams1 - 28/10/16 at 08:12 AM

Can,t see why not after all that is what the MGF uses

mark chandler - 28/10/16 at 08:49 AM

http://www.midascars.co.uk/

Very popular in the 70's by a various manufacturers

trextr7monkey - 28/10/16 at 11:27 AM

Scamp kit car. Looked like a tank drove like a train. Just lacked a bit of stream lining and a few ccs!

Minicooper - 28/10/16 at 11:57 AM

MGF uses a slightly modded metro frame, which can be fitted to a mini, I know as I have one on mine but it makes the track at least 4 inches wider than a standard mini

quote:
Originally posted by mike.williams1
Can,t see why not after all that is what the MGF uses

rash12 - 28/10/16 at 12:25 PM

i believe the old gtm used two mini front sumbrames which would give you the ability to use engine front or rear in a locost type kit maybe ?? the gtm locked the steering arms with adjustable tie rods at the rear i think

ken555 - 28/10/16 at 08:16 PM

GTM/COX have been doing it since 1967

owelly - 28/10/16 at 08:26 PM

Quite a few kit cars have used the Mini running gear in the past but a Locost?! I can't see it working in a 7eveny type car.

bennjamin - 29/10/16 at 01:11 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys -

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Quite a few kit cars have used the Mini running gear in the past but a Locost?! I can't see it working in a 7eveny type car.

Yeah you are right - i bring up the mini as the existing body and chassis i am using has almost dead on tracking and wheel base , plus there is RWD conversion kits for the mini which i can then use in place of my rear (lack of) drive train.

Ferg - 14/11/16 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ken555
GTM/COX have been doing it since 1967

Is that my picture? :-)