Board logo

MK Indy R Newcomer
Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 12:07 PM

Hi guys

Just joined and getting an MK Indy R made by the guys at Maltby.

Will be ready late feb but as I said in piston heads that day connot come quick enough!

Would love to hear about these cars as i have no experience whatsoever apart from a good old donunt session on the MK Car park last week.

Are there any pointers i should know about when driving these cars as i took the shortcut route and didn't build myself so will be less familiar than most who have.

Look forward to some advice and hope there will be some meets or kit track days in the near future.

Dan

Mark G - 4/1/09 at 12:14 PM

Congrats, I'm sure you can't wait. I know I'm looking forward to when I get mine on the road and I've had it for nearly a year.

What engine have you gone for?

daniel mason - 4/1/09 at 12:16 PM

Im in same boat mate.Just bought my stuart taylor zx9r a few months ago and its amazing!
I have had 2 300 bhp imprezas and an evo 8,and this thing will destroy them up to about 100 mph. after that the others take over. What engine are you putting in it?

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 12:34 PM

Jeez

Didn't realize that they would be quicker than tuned scooby's and skylines etc other than straight off the mark!!!

Thats the missus banned then before i even get it.

Its all black getting a GSX1000R lump, willwood4 pots with mintex pads, Cobra seats, carbon side panels, cossy lsd, and power commander which mk say should be around 185bhp.

Sorry but i have no pics yet other than my old M3

Those pics look good of both cars which is making me want mine now now now!!!

daniel mason - 4/1/09 at 12:46 PM

I would imagine that an evo 8 like my old one would do 0-100 mph in about 13 secs, but with 185 bhp and prob less than 500 kgs with the carbon fibre bits you may have around 370 bhp/ton and that is a hell of a lot. 0-100 in less then 10 secs should be no problem at all.

A1 - 4/1/09 at 01:07 PM

sounds nice!!
the only thing id say about driving it is be careful on slippy stuff!! ( )
apart from that, mines really really easy to drive...
what tyres/wheels you putting on?

lococost - 4/1/09 at 01:08 PM

Grats mate!

I build a gixxer type R too, it just passed its SVA test. If you're looking for some inspiration, I have a build site (press the
button below)

Hellfire - 4/1/09 at 01:39 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'd say 185bhp is a bit optimistic from a standard GSX1000R with a PC. Still be plenty powerful enough though and should be capable of doing a standing quarter mile in less than 13 secs.

Phil

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 01:43 PM

The missus is defo banned!!

Will be running r888's all round on 15" team dynamics and was thinking about maybe getting slicks and another set but way down the line yet!

Mark G - 4/1/09 at 01:52 PM

sounds like you'll have one helluva car!

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 02:00 PM

That looks nice in green!

How long did it take to build phil?

Do any of you guys go to track days or are they more for summer driving?

Think i will only be for the odd day on the road and as many track days as my wallet...(and missus) can handle!!

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 02:04 PM

Sorry got names mixed mean't Mark.

Like the Yellow too Phil!

Your very local to the Unit then?

Cant be far for spares!

You say they are only 160bhp? You know more than me as i am only going o the MK Guys....still a rocket though i reckon!

Hellfire - 4/1/09 at 02:09 PM

Yeah, MK's unit is about 5 minutes away from me. We've done a few trackdays. There's some footage on our website.

Phil

Jon Ison - 4/1/09 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Old Banger
Sorry got names mixed meant Mark.

Like the Yellow too Phil!

Your very local to the Unit then?

Cant be far for spares!

You say they are only 160bhp? You know more than me as i am only going o the MK Guys....still a rocket though i reckon!

Found your way here then....... ?

Watch it there are some well dodgy geezers about.........

Sounds to me as your in for one hell of a shock when you hit the loud pedal, the tin tops mentioned above are mobile chicanes on track........

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 02:31 PM

Fair play fella that teeside autodrome looks like a nice tight track to have a play on.

I have always previously gone to bigger tracks having an M3 but that would have struggled on there!

Have you been to Donington in your BEC?

Hellfire - 4/1/09 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Have you been to Donington in your BEC?

With a drive by noise limit of 98db we'd be black flagged for sure, so no, never done Donington. Cadwell is my favourite track

Phil

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 02:45 PM

Well guy let me know when the next meet track day you will al be attending after early march when the car shall be picked up and tested?

How loud would you say that the GSX1000R lump would be on a drive by?

Would have to look into getting some extra silencing for donny as i love it there!

paulmw - 4/1/09 at 03:35 PM

It may look a bit like mine. Its got a similar spec to yours but with an 07 ZX10R. Not much on the road can beat it even with my pathetic driving ability. You will have a blast when its ready. Rescued attachment DSCN0350.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0350.JPG

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
It may look a bit like mine. Its got a similar spec to yours but with an 07 ZX10R. Not much on the road can beat it even with my pathetic driving ability. You will have a blast when its ready.

Oh my God.....sooo glad i chose black now!

Why did you have to show me that now?????

This is gonna be the longest 2 months ever!

Sweet car Paul.

adithorp - 4/1/09 at 06:36 PM

On a tight track you'll leave most tin-tops standing. On Anglesey I lapped a new Impeza Sti twice in 20 mins and pulled away from an Audi R8 and Noble while 2up (which is a handicap in a BEC) and my driving is poo compared to some.

On a big circuit with higher speed corners things get a bit more equal. It's not just acceleration; Braking distances are far shorter in a 500kg car.

adrian

PAUL FISHER - 4/1/09 at 07:36 PM

Good choice of car and engine,the Indy R is a great chassis,and the gsxr a fine engine,very strong,you will have a lot of fun with it on the road and track,Mk sportscars run a few trackdays through out the year,where you can meet other like minded MK owners,great fun.
Here's a video of a couple of MK Indy R's at one of those days,this one was at Cadwell last year,the camera car was my Indy zx10r 165bhp,the blue Indy R going passed was a 230bhp supercharged gsxr1000.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-rNfrtbsKaY&feature=channel_page

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Good choice of car and engine,the Indy R is a great chassis,and the gsxr a fine engine,very strong,you will have a lot of fun with it on the road and track,Mk sportscars run a few trackdays through out the year,where you can meet other like minded MK owners,great fun.
Here's a video of a couple of MK Indy R's at one of those days,this one was at Cadwell last year,the camera car was my Indy zx10r 165bhp,the blue Indy R going passed was a 230bhp supercharged gsxr1000.

Well thats why i'm going for the indy r then, that looks brilliant at cadwell a must for next year.

Old Banger - 4/1/09 at 09:22 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER

Well thats why i'm going for the indy r then, that looks brilliant at cadwell a must for next year.
Sorry this year.

Old Banger - 5/1/09 at 09:01 PM

Paul

Just wondering but how much does a supercharger for these cars cast to bolt on especially a GSX?

Not that i would be doing anything like that ....for a while at least?

Dan

Hellfire - 5/1/09 at 09:23 PM

It'll cost you 4K at least for a Rotrex Supercharger conversion.

Phil

PAUL FISHER - 5/1/09 at 09:40 PM

The supercharged Indy in the video was mk sportscars demo car at the time,its now been sold,gone over to its new owner in france,the supercharger was a TTS conversion kit,fitted by Steve at MK,the cost is around £2500 to do the full conversion including fitting a thicker head gasket to reduce the compression,turns a rapid car into a very rapid car,but on the downside reliabilty was a big problem,so you have to ask if its worth the extra investment and reliabilty problems for little gain in overall lap times.I am sure you will be more than happy with the stock gsxr1000,power is nothing without control,as Danny Keenan shows here in a video when we where having a play at another trackday at Bruntingthorpe

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2tkLPadcSqg&feature=channel_page

Just to add the price I quoted was what mk could buy the kits for trade,retail as Phil says above you would be looking at nearer £4000,and thats without fitting new rods and pistons which you realy do need.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

Old Banger - 5/1/09 at 09:44 PM

Thats a no then as this little lot has almost gonna wipe me out until mid summer.

Is anyone going to Oulton Park on the 17th?

Old Banger - 5/1/09 at 09:48 PM

Last time i was there at brunters i was spinning off all day with Don Palmer - Mad Bugger he is aswell!

PAUL FISHER - 5/1/09 at 09:57 PM

quote:
anyone going to Oulton Park on the 17th?

I think some of the lads at MK are going,I was going to book on,but left it too late and its booked up now so I have booked on Cadwell on the 25th of Jan,and Oulton on the 11th of Feb only in the Clio though.

Old Banger - 5/1/09 at 11:16 PM

Love to go to cadwell park but it seems a right trek from here.

PAUL FISHER - 5/1/09 at 11:26 PM

Its worth the trek,its one track you just have to drive in a 7 type car

Old Banger - 6/1/09 at 10:39 AM

Looks like another date for 09 then.

Has anyone been over to the ring in one of these cars...and if so did they drive there or tow the car?

Dan

[Edited on 6/1/09 by Old Banger]

Old Banger - 6/1/09 at 12:50 PM

How much power can I expect to see from the gixer 1000? MK Say that it'll be around 185 with a power commander?

Also I have opted for the Cobra Black leather seats but some have said that you might be sat too high....anyone have this problem or does it make a problem with the full roll cage that i am also going for?

Dan

Old Banger - 6/1/09 at 07:19 PM

Wow they still seem like good figures..My E46 M3 had 360bhp tuned by simpsons but i never really timed it doing standing starts it was mostly track days so i have nothing to compare it to.

I'm sure that these cars will blow it away off the lights and then the power and aerodynamics would take over around 80-100mph of the M3?

Would this be a fair analysis?

Jubal - 6/1/09 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Wow they still seem like good figures..My E46 M3 had 360bhp tuned by simpsons but i never really timed it doing standing starts it was mostly track days so i have nothing to compare it to.

I'm sure that these cars will blow it away off the lights and then the power and aerodynamics would take over around 80-100mph of the M3?

You will blow away an M3 assuming there's the odd corner thrown in. Here's a vid of me in my old R1 Indy reeling in a 500bhp GT2 at Oulton. There's nothing much faster for the cash.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nL0gYxNVLi8

Old Banger - 6/1/09 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
quote:

You will blow away an M3 assuming there's the odd corner thrown in. Here's a vid of me in my old R1 Indy reeling in a 500bhp GT2 at Oulton. There's nothing much faster for the cash.

Very Impressed have you not got that now?

welderman - 6/1/09 at 08:39 PM

black's the way to go, enjoyImage deleted by owner

welderman - 6/1/09 at 08:40 PM

bigger picImage deleted by owner

Jubal - 6/1/09 at 08:55 PM

quote:
quote:

Very Impressed have you not got that now?

Nope, sold it to someone else on here and he's tidying it up. I'm having a kit car break

Old Banger - 6/1/09 at 09:26 PM

Nice car Welderman!

What is that runnng in it?

PAUL FISHER - 6/1/09 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Also I have opted for the Cobra Black leather seats but some have said that you might be sat too high....anyone have this problem or does it make a problem with the full roll cage that i am also going for?

In my opinion your better off with the standard MK fibreglass seats,they are top quality,very strong and light weight, and they ensure your sat low down in the car,you can always fit some pads to them,as I did with mine to stop you sliding about in them.

welderman - 6/1/09 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Nice car Welderman!

What is that runnng in it?

It was running a standard honda fireblade 919cc engine, then went mad stuck a turbo on it, threw loads of money at it, then sold it, but still have the engine thats waiting for a doner car one day, currently building a fisher fury.
ORANGE Rescued attachment Image017.jpg
Rescued attachment Image017.jpg

Old Banger - 7/1/09 at 11:14 AM

What sort of top end do these cars do and is it stable as the aerodynamics aren't like a normal car?

Would love to hear any stories of anyone going to the ring in one of these as might be going to spa then there in the summer?

Hellfire - 7/1/09 at 12:13 PM

Most seven styled BEC's you'll be looking at between 115mph & 130mph tops, depending on engine CC. It's quite comfortable upto about 90mph but once you exceed this your head gets buffeted in the wind which makes your eyes shake from side to side It does in ours anyhow........

The aerodynamics are similar to those of a brick It's very stable though.

Phil

[Edited on 7-1-09 by Hellfire]

A1 - 10/1/09 at 03:06 AM

had mine up to 105 a couple of weeks ago, just let my head go against the headrest and it was totally fine...very stable