Board logo

MK Indy Rear Panel
barbarianbeast - 25/3/09 at 02:12 PM

Hi, I thought Id introduce myself after lurking around for the last two months while building my Indy. the search has come handy more than a few times.

so the rear panel is about an inch too wide.
do I force it in with rivets or pack it out?

any pictures or would be appreciated.

stevec - 25/3/09 at 02:31 PM

Hi, and welcome.
I did mine by packing out the side panels.

Steve.

jabbahutt - 25/3/09 at 02:43 PM

welcome. After trying various options I settled on packing out the side panels slightly and pulling in the rear by the same amount.

The problem was if you tried to take up the slack using only the sides or the rear it looked wrong.

Hope that helps

barbarianbeast - 25/3/09 at 02:44 PM

OK, how much of the panel is raised and what do you raise it with

[Edited on 25/3/09 by barbarianbeast]

stevec - 25/3/09 at 03:01 PM

I used strips if plastic, cant remember how thick, If you look at "Hellfires" Build diary they did it by cutting the rear panel. A much better way but a fair bit of work.
Steve.

jabbahutt - 25/3/09 at 03:03 PM

the rear of the side panels was spaced out by about 5 mm using tap rubber washers as spacers with set sccrews passing through the panel and washer and into rivnuts in the chassis.

The rear panel was pulled in by the same amount and again secured with set screws into rivnuts. The bottom edge of the rear panel was also bolted to the round chassis rail at the rear. The top held in place by sandwiching it between the upper chassis rial and rear roll bar stays.

hope that's enough information

paulmw - 25/3/09 at 03:05 PM

Or just trim the end and bend it in Rescued attachment PW3.JPG
Rescued attachment PW3.JPG

barbarianbeast - 25/3/09 at 03:25 PM

thank you for the quick replies!

I don't fancy cutting the rear panel. even though its probably the best way, I would just end up bodging it up.

just thought Ive got some vinyl flooring left over. I can cut it down easily enough and use that.
its flexible and I can use more strips to vary the spacing.

cheers

jabbahutt - 25/3/09 at 03:40 PM

I've heard of people using cheap plastic 12" rulers as packing if that helps. Main reason I used plumbing washers was that I hab a load in already and they were just the right size with a hole already in the middle for the set screw.

Good luck with the rear panel, this along with bending wing stays seem to one of the less popular Indy jobs.

barbarianbeast - 25/3/09 at 03:48 PM

oh yes wing stay bending.

how much gap do i want to leave between the tyre and the metal?
and is sikaflex 221 up for for the job of holding the fibreglass on?

ReMan - 25/3/09 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
welcome. After trying various options I settled on packing out the side panels slightly and pulling in the rear by the same amount.

The problem was if you tried to take up the slack using only the sides or the rear it looked wrong.

Hope that helps

Same here.
took about 2 days of trimming, packing, adjusting and clamping to get it looking roight, but pleased with the job when done

jabbahutt - 25/3/09 at 04:01 PM

depending on the profile of your tyre I bent mine so that with the wing sitting on the stay there is a couple about the same thickness as a finer to allow you to get the wheel on and off reasonably easy.

As for sikaflex there have been plenty of posts on here on this subject. some swear by it, others prefer fasteners and some do both. I'd have a read and decide for yourself after reading what everyone has to say.

Cheers
Nigel

Hellfire - 25/3/09 at 05:17 PM

Splitting the rear panel and taking the excess material out isn't as difficult as it appears. The thought of it may be a bit daunting but once done it's easy to fit. Honest.

With regard to the cycle wings, you can fit them as close as you like to the tyre by whatever means necessary. For us, it was the worst job of the entire build.

Phil

[Edited on 25-3-09 by Hellfire]

RK - 25/3/09 at 11:34 PM

You must have had an incredibly easy build then. Either that or you all knew what you were doing before you started. It certainly set a benchmark for the type at least from the pics I've seen. For me, every single step has been a hellish nightmare.