Board logo

GT1
IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 10:39 AM

Hello

now I know I am not the most popular guy on here!

So might be wrong to ask advice

But hey what the f**k will give it a shot.

I am in love with this car, does anyone know anything about it?
Is it reasonable to quote £2000 to have it SVA,d and it still wont have a reverse gear on it?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/225843.htm

any comment please

John

[Edited on 4/12/07 by IndyJohn]

zxrlocost - 4/12/07 at 10:59 AM

hi john most BEC people dont worry about a reverse

although you could fit an electric reverse

and if there offering 2k off to SVA yourself then there must quite a few hours labour needed and some changes here and there

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 11:05 AM

hi

link did not work so here is another

i would need a reverse due to having a narrow drive!

http://sovereigncarsales.co.uk/Sports_Gridpos10.aspx

hope this worked

john

[Edited on 4/12/07 by IndyJohn]

zxrlocost - 4/12/07 at 11:16 AM

Ive looked at it and theres a lot of stuff already there but theres obv a reason why there quoting 2k

Mr Whippy - 4/12/07 at 12:43 PM

if you do buy it make sure they give you the graphic files that were used to print the stickers otherwise they may be difficult to reproduce if damaged.

I can't see the dash but I'd bet is not SVA friendly. Make a list of SVA requirements and go over the car to see what needs changed, can't even see the rear lights...

[Edited on 4/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

Hellfire - 4/12/07 at 12:50 PM

If you were to SVA it yourself, I seriously doubt it would cost anywhere near 2K. I think they're only quoting that much because they don't want the hassle of SVA themselves and stand to make a few quid if someone is prepared to pay 13K for it.

The mirrors and side repeaters would suggest to me that the car was built with SVA in mind. Priced at 11K, I would suggest there is some room for negotiation

If it's what you fancy, go for it. Personally I'd go for this Sprint R and spend a few hundred getting it SVA'd. Although it only has one seat, I'm sure it would outperform the GT1

Mr Whippy - 4/12/07 at 12:59 PM

I'd also say don't go alone, you say you love that car but that's not the attitude to have when viewing it (rose tinted glasses syndrome). Take someone who knows BEC’s and will be objective while you drooling . To be honest I think it’s way over priced for what really is an unfinished kit, i.e. non road legal. It’s a simple BEC car with a simple shell and for that money you could buy a real nice legal car, so don’t accept their price, put it down and point out all the thing that need changed just like you’d do if you were buying someone’s unfinished project. It’s not you fault it’s not been built right…

Hammerhead - 4/12/07 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Personally I'd go for this Sprint R and spend a few hundred getting it SVA'd. Although it only has one seat, I'm sure it would outperform the GT1

Whats Chris going to build next???

vinny1275 - 4/12/07 at 01:13 PM

You could always give Paul @ Spire sports cars a call. He took over the GT1 from MK, and tho he's changed it, he still knows the original very well.

He'd also rather see one on the road, especially in this kind of livery, rather than in a showroom somewhere. He'll be able to give you advice about what to look for with a view to SVA-ing them.

HTH

Vince

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 01:18 PM

Hi

thanks for the comments and your tips Hellfire

The main thing is I love the shape of the GT1 I need 2 seats so I can take my son out in it, and so in a cpl of years maybe he can take me out in it.

I do want a two seater. I do agree that it maybe a lot cheaper to get sva,d myself.

I have not seen many gt1,s for sale so cany compare the price. So you opinions are appreciated.

Am i likley to see another for sale within the next 4 months?

regards john

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 01:20 PM

oh, dash and more pics on pistonheads

john

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 01:35 PM

hi

found this and i have asket them for a price for a factory finished car!

http://www.spiresportscars.co.uk/index.html

Jon Ison - 4/12/07 at 01:39 PM

Hi,

Couple of answers and points for you.

I don't think you will see another for sale in the near future and don't know where this one as come from, they are very few and far between.

Paul at spire sports cars wont be able to help you, its the GTr he has, unless something as happened I don't know about ?

You will struggle big time to get any replacement bodywork should you require it.

I do have a few spares here that would fit the car, wishbones and a rear upright from memory, may be other bits.

I can offer more advice if you wish on a few things that to get the best from the car would need sorting.

Does anyone know the history of this car ? I thought i knew where most of them where but this one slipped the net ? Its not the one from ebay a while back is it been re built ? Its the only one I'm not sure of its whereabouts.

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 01:48 PM

Thanks Mr Ison
I appreciate your coments and offers.
I asked them at winchester about any history and this is what they said

Hi John,
We bought this car off te previous owner in a 95% finished state, he sold it due to change of cicumstance.
We have since finished the car here on site and put it up for sale.
Hope this answers your question.
Sovereign Cars

The other GT1 you refer to on ebay a while ago? Was it the white red and blue one in playstation colours in the Warrington area? If so I spoke to the owner last night. Well not much coversation really as I asked is the car still for sale mate? The reply was Its been nicked!!!!

john

Jon Ison - 4/12/07 at 01:52 PM

No, not the playstaion cars, they had two, there was a chassis and bodywork on maybe as long as a year ago, it would be interesting to know the previous owner of this one, well worth it I would have thought from your point of view ?

If you wanna call me this evening be happy to talk GT1's with you, owned n built two.

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 01:54 PM

Hi

thanks Jon

what do you mean by "well worth it I would have thought from your point of view ?

do you mean the price is ok?

john?

Jon Ison - 4/12/07 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by IndyJohn

do you mean the price is ok?

john?

No I would be looking to pay 1/2 that maximum, I would also want to know its history, cant be to hard to track, off the top of my head 10-11 where built (kits)

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 02:13 PM

thanks Jon

I dont think a dealer is going to drop that much

I am also no fool and you sound as if you know a bit about these kits and I will not be parting with 5K above the odds!

So Jon will you build me one please Oh and I want it ready for end of March begging of April!

john

Hellfire - 4/12/07 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
You could always give Paul @ Spire sports cars a call. He took over the GT1 from MK, and tho he's changed it, he still knows the original very well.

Vince

Paul at spire Sportscars had nothing to do with the GT1. He bought the GTR from MK.

Phil

Oops. Just spotted Jons post.....

[Edited on 4-12-07 by Hellfire]

vinny1275 - 4/12/07 at 04:01 PM

quote:

Paul at spire Sportscars had nothing to do with the GT1. He bought the GTR from MK.

Phil

Oops. Just spotted Jons post.....

[Edited on 4-12-07 by Hellfire]

I stand corrected - I'll try not to get my GTs mixed up in the future. If you want a brand new kit in the LMP stylee, Paul's GTR is good.

Cheers

Vince

Mike S - 4/12/07 at 04:19 PM

There are very few GT1's about.

When they do come up they seem to be between £10k - £12k for the nice ones.

As an unfinished project it is not worth what a finished and SVA'd car would be, but the parts alone are going to be worth a fair bit.

As an indication, I have spent about 17k so far on mine and it still is not finished!! (not too far away now though).

So, if it is built from quality (new) parts and has been built to a high standard and they have spent the kind of money that I have, then on face value, it might well be a reasonable price.

However, as with all these things, it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Cheers

Mike

evo3500 - 4/12/07 at 07:14 PM

Hi John,I had a GT1 and SVED it all proper and that and to be honest had very little trouble getting it through as most of the bodywork is sva friendly,my fails where emissions brake effort and I had to fitt a grill at the rear to cover the chain drive,oh yes and had to fit landrover mirrors for rear veiw ! but they did the job great little car though and it went very well, I think the main thing you ought to check is the headlight heights,and the rest of lighting for regs, as I used a different bonnett for mine,but everthng else should be reasonbly strightforward Im sure you would get plenty of change out of a grand to sva yourself, £500 quid should see most things right if you are shrewd.
As regards the price Id make him an offer if you like it as I bet they didnt pay anything like that for it.It does look like a nice one from the pics,but I reckon not much over £10k for the car.

Well thats my opinion anyway !

Hope it helps.

IndyJohn - 4/12/07 at 07:59 PM

hi

thanks guys for all the replies and all the u2us there is a wealth of knowledge here ( and a few dicks as well me being one at times)
I am not sure as to go with a new build GTR which I dont like quite as much as the GT1

But if the GTR is a much better car? Then I would be stupid to go on looks alone? But thats my main reason....then speed!

So still thinking and Worx thanks you have been a great help

john

Jon Ison - 4/12/07 at 09:04 PM

I was judging the price on a few things........

Its not on the road.

I sold a road legal one admittedly requiring the bodywork re fitting and paint for £5k, this included a dry sumped engine, rose jointed suspension and a few other trick bits including mods to the chassis and diff hanger that are required for handling and longevity.

You can buy a road legal radical for that sort of money, choice of.

It can be a nice capable car but parts will/are much more obscure than one off locost parts, not sure me personally would like to go down that route again, bend a wishbone, your making your own, god forbid damage the bodywork, its game over, hence the value I would put on it, its a risk to buy.

Its value is what someone will pay I guess but me, I would not want to pay more than £5-6K tops as it is, but its not my money, just offering an honest opinion.

george1980 - 4/12/07 at 09:39 PM

i nearly bought this car a coulple of months ago,
the car started life as a very poorly built car and soveriegn cars have stripped and started from the bottom,
he has started getting it ready for sva by doing electrics and lights,
i only got him down to 10 k with out sva,
problem is body panels are no longer avalible nor are any other parts like wish bones etc.
great looking car but its always going to be a bit of a white elephant,

IndyJohn - 5/12/07 at 04:12 AM

Ok

guess its good bye to the Xbox!

Going to look at a GTR and maybe a radical? Any links to Radicals upto 11K

thanks for the help

john

Andy North - 6/12/07 at 12:11 PM

When I bought my SVA'D GT1 I probably paid over the odds but thought the sum of the parts was worth it.

I have now had it for two years and loved every moment of it It is however worrying when I take it on track, as already said you can not get the parts for it (had mainly been thinking of body not wishbones)

In balance I would say mine was worth it...just some more mod's required

Andy

IndyJohn - 6/12/07 at 01:24 PM

i belive someone from the Scarbourgh area bought the molds?

Why?

What he do with them?

Still prefer the shape of the GT1

What engine is yours?

Can I borrow it while you are on Holiday

john

RK - 8/12/07 at 06:21 PM

For my money, I'd rather have a real engine:

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/canam/prices.html

and it isn't much more than that one for sale now. They say all the parts are included for building, which in retrospect, would have saved me a ton of stress.

IndyJohn - 9/12/07 at 08:39 AM

the Ultima is a nice car but I cannot find one for less than £24,950 second hand.

John

khm - 13/12/07 at 07:20 PM

hi john, i know what you mean about the looks - i always preferred the GT1 over the GTR - we had two of them ( playstation cars ) loved every minute of driving them, easy to work on. just a personal thing but i thing it need a rear wing - just doesn't look right without one.
got totaly hooked on track days & now have a radical SR3. roll on next year !!

IndyJohn - 14/12/07 at 03:19 PM

Hi

still love the XBOX GT1.

BUT

if i had the cash!

linky

khm - 14/12/07 at 08:46 PM

we've done a paint job on the SR3, bit predictable but hey we like it LOL !!!!

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/khm_01/?action=view&current=DSC01569.jpg

IndyJohn - 15/12/07 at 07:34 AM

WOW

thats superb.

Is that model only a single seater?

Need to have one to take my son out in

john

IndyJohn - 15/12/07 at 07:42 AM

Is that your garage behind the trailer?

Looks JUST big enough!

Superb wheels mate

john

khm - 15/12/07 at 09:17 PM

really lucky to have plenty of space , we are in engineering too so got a full workshop of kit to do just about any job - pig in poo !!

procomp - 15/12/07 at 10:30 PM

Hi not to many radicals around for 11k at the moment. But have you thought about a global light.

GLOBAL FOR SALE LINK

No idea if this interests you but there are ussualy a few to be found for less than 10k.

Cheers Matt

IndyJohn - 16/12/07 at 07:02 AM

Hi

thanks mfor the link to the global. Had a look at the pic. is it me or ???? But does he look too big for the car?

Still like the GT1

whos going to start building the again? 1St order here!

john

Hellfire - 16/12/07 at 10:07 AM

It's not just you John.... The guy in the Global does look somewhat exposed.........

Phil

IndyJohn - 16/12/07 at 12:12 PM

thought so

and I thought " my sons is going to get cold" !!!

john

martyn_16v - 16/12/07 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
The guy in the Global does look somewhat exposed.........

It looks like 'Noddy Goes Racing'

IndyJohn - 16/12/07 at 03:36 PM

spike0776 - 31/12/07 at 06:44 PM

I have a road legal MKGT1 which I may be looking to sell in the new year.

IndyJohn - 2/1/08 at 12:34 PM

Hi

could you post some pics?

Where in the world are you?

Thanks for the u2u message.

regards john

spike0776 - 2/1/08 at 06:35 PM

Hi John

As you can see from the pics the car is still in the original white gel coat finish. The pictures aren't the best as they were taken on a track day. I can take more if required.

A brief spec is:-
Blackbird Engine (low mileage)
Quaife LSD
Powder coated chassis & wishbones
Hi spec utralite 4 pot calipers with ali bells front & Sierra Cosworth rear brakes
Team Dynamics Pro Race1 wheels
Digi Dash

I live just south of Birmingham. If you require an further information please give me a call.

Graham

[img]http:// [/img]

IndyJohn - 3/1/08 at 07:31 AM

thanks for the photos and some of the spec.

can you give me an idea on price?

Regards john

IndyJohn - 5/1/08 at 04:05 PM

?????????