Board logo

mnr project zzr1400 engine update
INDY BIRD - 18/9/10 at 05:49 PM

Hi all

not updated for a while,

well got a new zzr 1400 engine from malc and fitted the Ab performance ali sump and relocation plate, had the engine checked over by mb customs looks all ok,

installed the enigne and must say the craddle made for it is at best SHOCKING,

no support and if designed by mnr is not very good i must say,

i have now cut out the old craddle as it just followed the top chassis rails which ment the engine and prop wasnt straight,

the angle was around 12deg way to much for my liking, and not only twisteing but had to modify the reverse gearbox wount as the shft to the diff was crooked also, not good, i think if it had been driven like this it was only a matter of time before something broke or the reverse box rattled free or broke,

while is was there have welded in some additional triangle support to the top chassis rails to ensure it wont flex under hard acceleration, as it looks like the chassis rail has bent slightly when the engine previously seized,

now this is fixed having to re align the exhaust, so i am going to make it a rear exit exhaust with the option to bolt on a small straight through extra can if it is too noisy for track, this will run along the back of the car,

Also welding on the side bars at the bottom of the chassis with a bolt on plate so they can be removed as they currently just bolt to the top chassis rail and rear roll bar,

Mext will be the A arms going to turn them upside down and put in some additional gusets to add some strength,

Then i have also started to make new brackets for the front wings as have herd they are week and i can see why, i will make them a 3 part bracket as they are the full wrap around wings,

maybe over kill on everything but its my arse in the seat and i know manufacturers go to great lengths to make cars light but they do have to be strong and i would prefer to add a few kilos to make sure it all works on track and nothing fails,

also looking at making some kind of front anti roll bar to link to the push rod system something to play with when im not to busy,,

still will get some pics up at some point hope to get it on track in october, all being well,

thanks all

indy bird

Johneturbo - 20/9/10 at 04:33 PM

Your cradle is that just the upper front mounts it's bolted to the engine

i'm looking to use the cradle for both front and rear upper mounts, for my converstion from R1

any piccys would be great to see what you have added for extra support

good luck with it

[Edited on 20/9/10 by Johneturbo]

INDY BIRD - 20/9/10 at 05:31 PM

hi,

i have not used the craddle for the front mounts ie by the manifold, just the rear mounts,

i have taken it from the front chassis rail still but from those front mounts i have supported it with a x brace down to the corners of the bottom chassis rails, also tacking it to the triangular rail inbetween.

a picture will speak a 1000 words so will post up by the weekend,

i may yet join this also to the craddle for extra support, i can already see the top chassis rail was under pressure before this was done and prob stressed it when the engine siezed and locked up,???

where it mounts at the back of the engine this has also got a brace in down to the bottom corner of the chassis rail for additional support,

top tip try to keep the bikes bolts that they use to mount the engine its a allen key one found this easier to tweek to get the engine in and out as the screw into the block,

you can u2u me your number and we can chat if need any explinations,

cheers and good luck with the conversion

sean

Smartripper - 20/9/10 at 08:00 PM

Hello

I done the conversion on a mnr already.
I made a new cradle that support all the mount on the top off the engine and the lower mount on the chassis.

It was stiffer and better inline with the shaft then mnr id doing themself.

John has some pic i send to him.
Maybe he can post them.

Greetings Daniel

INDY BIRD - 20/9/10 at 08:04 PM

that would be sweet to see them,

cant say the mnr one was very good as the alignment was very poor,

i would have thought the vibration would be very bad,

prob ok for an R1 as the chassis / craddle line up was made for it.

still these things are ment to try us???

Johneturbo - 22/9/10 at 01:43 PM

Yep Daniel was kind enough to send me a cd with loads of photos.

i will upload some of the craddle for you sean.

hopefuly i will be starting my install soon

Johneturbo - 24/9/10 at 07:00 AM

here's a couple of piccys showing Daniels craddle

Description
Description

Description
Description

oddsaabs - 24/9/10 at 07:36 PM

Well timed discussion this one. I'm in the process of deciding which way to mount a zzr1400 (zx14 here in the states) in a new book frame sized chassis I started a couple weeks ago.

I'm Having some issues deciding whether to shift the motor to the right and go with LHD as is the norm over here but have a steeper prop angle, or shift it to the left, have it RHD and have a shallow prop angle. You guys are lucky in that you don't have to face this dilemma.

I see in the pics he hard mounted the motor. Are you sure that's wise? Won't the vibrations be a bit much? High density poly bushings would keep the vibrations down and still offer stability.

Thanks for posting the pics of the cradle. Are there any more we can steal ideas from?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Build log here: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10160

INDY BIRD - 25/9/10 at 10:03 PM

something not right about that first pic have you fliped the photo or someting as engine that way with the bulk head cannot be right, as the drive shaft would be at the front of the engine??????

cheers
looks good though will post my pics up shortly

Rocket_Rabbit - 26/9/10 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
something not right about that first pic have you fliped the photo or someting as engine that way with the bulk head cannot be right, as the drive shaft would be at the front of the engine??????

Yeah, have a look at the orange oil cap

Johneturbo - 26/9/10 at 09:42 AM

not sure why it did that! here's the pic the right way round

Description
Description

i do like the idea of using some kind of soft mount system, when i spoke with andy from AB performance he mentioned rubber/hard plastic bushings

oddsaabs - 26/9/10 at 12:21 PM

A common poly bushing used with BEC installs over here is this one: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.9107

Here is a pic of them used with an R1 install (apology to Moti, who I nicked this from)

[img]http://www.locostusa.com/forums/download/file.php?id=6308&mode=view[/img]

Johneturbo - 26/9/10 at 03:19 PM

Here's the photo

so is it fitted just like a suspension bush with a inner crush tube?

Description
Description

oddsaabs - 26/9/10 at 11:37 PM

That's correct. Keeps everything in place while also reducing the vibration. Also see this build for similar install of R1; http://www.underwood-racing.com/engine.htm

I'm not sure how I'll do it with the zx14 yet but there's plenty of time to figure it out.