Board logo

R1 cooling system diagram
madrallysport - 29/12/10 at 07:57 PM

Guys, i need to get the water system done next, its a R1 4XV engine, but i havent a clue were the pipes go, i got the engine without all its water pipes, i have the engine and its thermostat thats about it.

I had thought about buying this kit - YAMAHA R1 98-01 SAMCO SILICONE RAD HOSES on eBay (end time 03-Jan-11 06:34:00 GMT) , buts its pricey and i won't use all the pipes, and also need a few additional pipes to and from the rad.

I'm also running a polo rad, and do i need a header / expansion bottle.

[Edited on 29/12/10 by madrallysport]

big_l - 29/12/10 at 08:43 PM

I'm running a 5jj If you want me to txt you a few pics or email I can it's really simple to plum it up drop me a txt if you need a few pics 07737814426

peteday_uk@btinternet.com - 29/12/10 at 10:25 PM

Sorry to butt in but what age is your engine? If it's an 06 then I would really appreciate some cooling phot's too if that's ok.....

Pete.

s6otty - 30/12/10 at 09:49 AM

Im building a Fazer, which has the same water system, any info would be appreciated.

Scott

bitsilly - 30/12/10 at 10:21 AM

This is for a 5VY:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=143510
I have no idea if it is similar but I would guess that something similar would be shown in a 4XV workshop manual which I guess can be downloaded somewhere.
Regarding the pipework, I would mount the engine and mount the rad (and expansion bottle) and then figure out the necessary pipework.
For the twisty bits I would recommend silicon hoses.com.
For the straight runs have a look at CBS and Merlin. They will sell hard pipes of differing bore with swaged ends.
You'll also need jubilee clips for each join, check Ebay.

However, I used a number of clips I got from a scrappies for free. I reused bits of the R1 piping that came with another engine, and two adaptor hoses allowed me to use some ali piping I had, and I swaged the ends myself with a blunt punch.

On another more shiney build I got some chromed toilet down pipes on Ebay and used them. They look most excellent!

bitsilly - 30/12/10 at 10:22 AM

But don't tell anyone about the toilet pipes!

s6otty - 30/12/10 at 10:51 AM

Cheers,

That's one thing I forgot - I don't have a thermostat housing - Ebay...................................!

Scott

bitsilly - 30/12/10 at 11:08 AM

I don't use one.

s6otty - 30/12/10 at 11:28 AM

So, no stat, does it not run overly cool? Are you running a Polo rad, with a separate header tank?

Scott

bitsilly - 30/12/10 at 06:29 PM

It is a track only car although it is road legal.
I bought it as is without a stat, but at the track I have never felt it necessary, it is however very easy to fit so if you can have one why not!
I also have a polo rad, and yes I use a header tank.

Yazza54 - 30/12/10 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by s6otty
Im building a Fazer, which has the same water system, any info would be appreciated.

Scott

Sorry, off topic..but why Fazer over R1?

s6otty - 30/12/10 at 08:46 PM

No real reason, it was right money. They are actually slightly down on power compared to the R1, but have more torque, we'll see how it goes.

Scott