Board logo

Gulp! 4C8 R1 Wiring
TimC - 5/11/12 at 08:45 PM

Ugh... laid-out my wiring loom for the first time this evening. Oh boy, it's a big one. I may be some time (months.)

Any tips on the best way to work?

MK9R - 5/11/12 at 09:08 PM

Label all the wires and mark them off on the diagram, makesure you know what every wire does, then start ripping out the lighting wires, 1 by 1. cross the wires off the loom diagram as you do it. you will start to find common earths you can remove as you go along.

i hate wiring, and poo at it, but doing it slowly and i can just manage it

ko_racer - 6/11/12 at 12:11 AM

It's not too hard. I've posted up various simplified diagrams of 5pw and 5vy looms. The basics are all the same just with a few more sensors on the newer models really. The bypasses and relay circuits all pretty much work the same.

TimC - 6/11/12 at 07:55 AM

So, once the main plugs are identified, is it sensible to then remove all of the secondary sheath/wrap?

jelly head - 6/11/12 at 08:11 AM

You'll be alright, i have exactly the same engine and once everything was identified and labeled it was pretty straighforward.

I just stripped the wrap off as i needed to and once i'd chased any unwanted wires back i just replaced it to keep everything neat.

adithorp - 6/11/12 at 09:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
So, once the main plugs are identified, is it sensible to then remove all of the secondary sheath/wrap?

Thats what I did with my 5vy, but only from the main loom.

Best thing I did was get the wiring diagram printed in A3. That made it a lot easier to follow. A2 would have been even better but a didn't think the image resolution would have been any good.

I removed all the lighting wires then got the engine running on the rest. Then altered the engine loom to suit. I re-started the engine after a few alterations to check I hadn't fouled up... alter, check , repeat. That way you know the cock-up is in the last couple of bits you've done if it won't start.

I used glued, heat shrink connectors for the extended wires. They're secure and water tight

-matt - 17/11/12 at 10:48 AM

Ey i remember this!!