Board logo

CBR900RRW TPS?
DANMAN - 24/2/16 at 12:07 AM

I am running a CBR900RRW engine in my car and have only just found out that they are supposed to have a Throttle Position Sensor fitted. I have had the car for a few years and it wasn't on there when I bought it so I have thought about getting one and putting it on there, however it has a Factory Pro +2 degrees ignition advancer fitted by the previous owner. Would this advancer be the reason the TPS has been removed, does it make it obsolete?
Also, is it worth getting the +4 degrees advancer instead? I only ever run 98RON fuel so figure it would help.

MikeRJ - 24/2/16 at 12:01 PM

The advancer doesn't negate the use the of the TPS, so that's not why it was removed. The TPS gives the equivalent function of a vacuum advance, advancing the ignition under light engine engine loads to improve economy and responsiveness.

I don't know for sure what happens when the tps is completely disconnected, but I suspect the ignition unit will default to the safest state which would give the advance required for wide open throttle for the entire RPM range.

jossey - 24/2/16 at 05:33 PM

Doesn't make any difference when your hammering the car.

mark chandler - 24/2/16 at 05:47 PM

If it was built with a 893 engine or uses an early module it would not have had a TPS.

Do not worry about it unless you want to save a little fuel.

Some people run CBR600 Modules as they have a higher Rev limit.

[Edited on 24/2/16 by mark chandler]

DANMAN - 25/2/16 at 04:16 AM

Thanks guys. It is the 919 engine (RRW) so should have had it, not sure why it has been removed but figured if I can find a cheap one I will throw it on there.
Came across the fact it was supposed to have one whilst researching ways to get more power from the engine.....sigh, I think it would be cheaper to make up a new engine cradle, etc and go to a 2008 CBR1000 engine. Can't picture getting a 900RRW up to 170HP+ without forced induction and that would probably cost more than swapping over to a CBR1000 engine anyway.