Board logo

R1/Fazer
trialnick - 15/12/16 at 11:57 AM

Another question. I have removed the original air box to install individual carb filters. Do I block off the pipes that fed to the old air box or leave them to breath to the engine bay ?

Thanks

Nick

CosKev3 - 15/12/16 at 02:23 PM

Individual fliters will lose you some BHP.

If you want to go open filter you will be better off with a big one piece filter on a backing plate.

The pipes you talk of don't want to be blocked off,just leave them open.

adithorp - 15/12/16 at 03:07 PM

What year model/engine? Which pipes?

This applies to R15vy motors... If it's the AIS valve pipes out ofthe cam cover you can block them (don't leave open). If it's the crankcase breather pipe from the top of the gearbox it needs to be fed to a catch tank. Also look up the R1 breather issues (lots ofthreads on here about it) and you might want to do the mod' that utilises the AIS housing as a cam box breather.

trialnick - 15/12/16 at 03:20 PM

Hi

I have done the AIS removal mod already. From memory its the probably the crank case breather, I was thinking if feeding it to a catch tank or bottle so thanks for the confirmation.

adithorp - 15/12/16 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by trialnick
Hi

I have done the AIS removal mod already. From memory its the probably the crank case breather, I was thinking if feeding it to a catch tank or bottle so thanks for the confirmation.

If you've done the additional can-cover breather via AIS housings mod, then T that and the one off the top of the gearbox together and into a catch tank. Then vent the tank to atmos'

CosKev3 - 15/12/16 at 03:48 PM

Ah it's an injected engine?

Was thinking it was the carbed one

[Edited on 15/12/16 by CosKev3]

trialnick - 15/12/16 at 03:56 PM

No its carbs

CosKev3 - 15/12/16 at 07:04 PM

So the pipe from the top of gearbox will need to go to a catch can,then the pipes that go to the carbs float chambers can be left open to atmosphere