Board logo

Which route to go for...?.?.???.?
craig_thomas - 4/8/17 at 05:35 PM

So I'm find im finding difficult to decide which route to take. I'm looking at changing my ford engine this winter for a bike engine. Iv been collecting parts this year and have now ended up with-

Zx9r E engine and carbs
MK cradle
MK exhaust
BEC prop
Loom
Chopped sump

Basically most of the parts I need to fit a Zx9r engine into my car. But now I'm thinking maybe it's not the best engine to be using.

Is it too old?

Would I be better off trying to get a more modern/expensive cbr1000 engine??

It's defo going to be more cost effective to put the engine I have in but in the long run, might I be better off with something newer.

What are people's thoughts??

ian locostzx9rc2 - 4/8/17 at 05:54 PM

I had a zx9r in a striker many years ago I found it great fun if you have the parts why not fit it you could always fit a later Kawasaki engine in it at a later date .

russbost - 4/8/17 at 07:01 PM

I've always found the ZX9 a strange choice, the ZX10 or ZZR1100 are both cheaper with more power & torque & I suspect a stronger clutch & gearbox, they are also (I believe) a straight swap for the later (hard to find) ZZR1200 (NOT the ZX12R which is a different lump entirely). You could probably flog the ZX9 & buy a ZZR1100 with the proceeds. I believe the sump will fit & possibly the exhaust, but I'm pretty sure the engine cradle wouldn't.

The late CBR engine is a brilliant lump, unlike the earlier Fireblade engines which lacked both bhp & torque, great in a bike, but not in a car, but you are in a different league in terms of cost, could probably pickup a ZX12R for less money, & that is a PROPER engine! But in both cases you are then going to have to buy a whole load more bits ............

mackei23b - 4/8/17 at 08:40 PM

I had a zx9r in my Indy and it went well....

Description
Description

Cheers
Ian

CosKev3 - 5/8/17 at 09:00 AM

I think your concerns are correct tbh,as good as the ZX9 will go it's possibly the lowest power bike engine that people fit.

I know my m8 zx12rdug off here has built 4 MK indys with bike engines in over the years so has actual first hand experience.

His first one was a ZX9,
second was a R1 5JJ which he said was a big step up in power,
his third was a R1 5VY which again was a step up in power from the 5JJ but not as big a jump as from the ZX9,
His current car is a zx12r which again is more powerful, but not as big a step up as he expected over the 5VY R1 considering people say it's one of the ultimate BEC engines(also weighs a lot! )