In the process of fitting my original one piece fiberglass bonnet/nose cone on to my zx9 powered strike. To get it to fit Iíve had to cut a hole in it
and now my pipercross air filter and carbs poke through.
The carbs and air filter stick out about 10cm above the level of my bonnet.
Looking for a clean professional look so contemplating fitting a bonnet bulge to give me the clearance and finish Iím after
Been to see a fiberglass expert who suggested I look for a mold roughly the right size and shape.
Other option is to buy a fiberglass bonnet bulge and fit that
[Edited on 7/11/18 by cfc999]
Have a look at Honeybourne Mouldings they have a range of production car bulges replicated in fibreglass.
Will have a look thanks but not sure if they are going to be tall enough
Thinking of things I could use to make a mould
1. Small rooftop box lid
2. Plastic sledge
3. Half a kids hardshell suitcase
Need 10cm clearance so donít think the off the shelf bulges will fit
I made one for my striker having fitted a crb1000rr fireblade engine. I new little about them when I bought it and realised I had to keep the upper
injectors. I had to do away with the original air box but it was still fairly high and fashioned a mould out of cardboard and fibre glassed over it. I
used filler to get it smooth but had to use loads so it is quite heavy. over winter I will take a mould of what I've got and do it again. Its
bigger than I wanted but had no choice.
4552931 6342_59b980afbf_o by david.vangils, on Flickr
4552931 0092_2d855ee759_o by david.vangils, on Flickr
[Edited on 8/11/18 by davspeed]
Thanks for the pics. Looks good. Iíve got a original 90ís bonnet so itís even lover than yours. Running carbs that need still air apparently so need
to be cover completely.
[Edited on 8/11/18 by cfc999]
Make your own- it can't be that hard if I've done it! I made the two side bulges to fit my throttle bodies.
I used expanding foam to get the rough shape (cut with a bread knife kind of thing), then went over it with body filler and sanded it to get the finish. Then polished, applied release agent and made a mould with fibreglass. Once done I made the new parts in the mould.
Took me a while, but I took ages trying to get the two sides symmetric!
I'm in the same position but in my case I've got turbo poke through, I've decided to make some alloy trims to go around the opening