Board logo

Chain drive BEC long distance reliability
jimgiblett - 18/5/19 at 05:49 PM

Anyone done any long distance motoring with a chain driven BEC? We are talking >2k miles in 10 days.

Thinking next project may be rear engined but worried about the reliability of a short chain over long distances.

Mr Whippy - 18/5/19 at 06:46 PM

Chain oiler? Motor bikes do long runs no bother, just carry a spare chain but tbh 2k isn't really very far

jimgiblett - 18/5/19 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Chain oiler? Motor bikes do long runs no bother, just carry a spare chain but tbh 2k isn't really very far

Yes I am a biker. Motorcycles have much longer chains. Short chains run very hot, oiler will help a little but not much.

Carrying space chain and sprocket is a possible solution but wanted to know how long the chain/sprocket will last before maintenance required.

daviep - 18/5/19 at 09:00 PM

I used to be involved with Global GT light race car which used a 600cc Yamaha Thundercat engine coupled to rear axle with a short chain.

We always used Renthal chains and high quality chain lube but still chain life was very short.

Might be worth speaking to some racers currently using the same setup as you are proposing.

jimgiblett - 18/5/19 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
I used to be involved with Global GT light race car which used a 600cc Yamaha Thundercat engine coupled to rear axle with a short chain.

We always used Renthal chains and high quality chain lube but still chain life was very short.

Might be worth speaking to some racers currently using the same setup as you are proposing.

Yes this is the challenge how short life were you getting?

wombat258 - 18/5/19 at 10:30 PM

When I started to race sprints I found that the chains wore out very quickly (1 meeting), especially on high speed circuits. Tried a variety of aerosol lubes, but even the best lube resulted in chain temperatures over 150C. After installing a Scottoiler the chain operating temps dropped to 60C, and the chains last over 2 seasons. I still apply aerosol lube every second race to be sure.

jimgiblett - 19/5/19 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wombat258
When I started to race sprints I found that the chains wore out very quickly (1 meeting), especially on high speed circuits. Tried a variety of aerosol lubes, but even the best lube resulted in chain temperatures over 150C. After installing a Scottoiler the chain operating temps dropped to 60C, and the chains last over 2 seasons. I still apply aerosol lube every second race to be sure.

Scottoiler sounds like a plan.