Board logo

Paddle shift kits
pathfinder - 23/3/06 at 09:15 PM

Evening all!

I’m making a paddle shift for my bec and thought id ask if anyone on here would be interested in one! It uses both the standard sierra steering column bearings and is width adjustable from 280mm down to 230mm so should fit most steering wheels! At this stage there is no provision for retaining standard sierra switch gear (may make a mk2 model later). Drawings are being sent to the laser cutters early next week so if anyone wants one I will add you to my order. All other parts will be professionally made and powder coated (anodizing offered at extra charge)!

Final price will be dependant on numbers ordered but I estimate £60 give or take £5!!!

Regards
Thom Rescued attachment prototype1.jpg
Rescued attachment prototype1.jpg

locoboy - 23/3/06 at 09:19 PM

very interested.

Roll up roll up.........

Hellfire - 23/3/06 at 09:19 PM

Oooh, that looks nice. If the finished product looks half as good as that, we'll be interested. How much extra for the anodised finish?

[Edited on 23-3-06 by Hellfire]

shortie - 23/3/06 at 09:26 PM

I'd be interested definitely

pathfinder - 23/3/06 at 09:27 PM

Not to sure how much the anodizing will be (dependant on quantity again) wouldn’t think more than a tenner! Just to clarify the stem shown in the rendering will be powder coated black because its steel all other parts can be powder coated, polished, anodized or left raw!

skydivepaul - 23/3/06 at 09:42 PM

I'd be interested at that price. Although i would want the + on the right and the - on the left. Could you build in ali to save some weight??

skydivepaul - 23/3/06 at 09:42 PM

I'd be interested at that price. Although i would want the + on the right and the - on the left. Could you build in ali to save some weight??

cossey - 23/3/06 at 09:48 PM

sorry for being pedantic but arent the paddles the wrong way round (+ should be on the right)

ChrisGamlin - 23/3/06 at 09:48 PM

Looks really good! How would a linkage mount to it, does it have bosses on the back to attach rods to?

How much would it be to just supply the paddle assembly, as my column is a bespoke jobbie which I wouldnt want to lose, but could weld on the appropriate pivot points? Id be interested in anodizing too.

cheers

Chris

pathfinder - 23/3/06 at 09:52 PM

The + and – paddles are reversible! The black part in the rendering is the only steel part (thin wall tube) and it doesn’t way much at all, would prefer to keep it steel as it makes manufacturing easier!

carlgeldard - 23/3/06 at 09:59 PM

Put me down for one I like it. Any chance of changing the design to include countersink set screws.

Carl

southpaw - 23/3/06 at 10:00 PM

How easy are these to fit?

Pezza - 23/3/06 at 10:04 PM

you can scratch me up for one too at that price

pathfinder - 23/3/06 at 10:06 PM

Chris

I’m picking up some m6 female clevis ends tomorrow and am planning to use one of these bolted to the back of the paddle using a alan bolt, however I have also thought about making a mount from aluminium angle for more adjustability!

the paddle is laser cut to fit the collar, I can fabricate a special stem if you wanted!

hearnia - 23/3/06 at 10:13 PM

Yep chalk me down for one too...

pathfinder - 23/3/06 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by southpaw
How easy are these to fit?

It’s very simple to fit, it’s a direct replacement for the sierra aluminium steering lock and black steering column sleeve. The bottom bearing carrier needs no be adapted and the top bearing removed from your aluminium casting! If you can build a car you can fit one of these in 30mins!

pathfinder - 23/3/06 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
Put me down for one I like it. Any chance of changing the design to include countersink set screws.

Carl

There is enough meat in the ali for countersunk set screws but iv got a draw full of button head bolts that I would prefer to use up first! You could adapt it yourself!!!

JoaoCaldeira - 23/3/06 at 11:12 PM

I'll wait for mk 2 as I would like to keep the Sierra switches (want to have a clean dashboard)

Joao

richijenkin - 24/3/06 at 02:05 AM

blimey... I thought mine was good.. thats looking mint dude... nice one!!!!

Paddle On
Paddle On

Hellfire - 24/3/06 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by richijenkin
blimey... I thought mine was good.. thats looking mint dude... nice one!!!!

Rich - if you're planning on keeping the rest of the car dry that steering wheel cover will have to go.

mandbsheldon - 24/3/06 at 01:20 PM

me, me, me
Leigh

Brooky - 24/3/06 at 01:54 PM

AAH go on , one for me too please.
TA.

Brooky - 24/3/06 at 01:55 PM

[Edited on 24/3/06 by Brooky]

skydivepaul - 24/3/06 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder
The + and – paddles are reversible! The black part in the rendering is the only steel part (thin wall tube) and it doesn’t way much at all, would prefer to keep it steel as it makes manufacturing easier!

Put me down for one, sorry i thought the whole assembly would be steel from yout earlier post.

p.s. just to let you know i sent this message from my laptop by the poolside in florida

ChrisGamlin - 24/3/06 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder
Chris

I’m picking up some m6 female clevis ends tomorrow and am planning to use one of these bolted to the back of the paddle using a alan bolt, however I have also thought about making a mount from aluminium angle for more adjustability!

the paddle is laser cut to fit the collar, I can fabricate a special stem if you wanted!

Cheers for that, my column is a single tube right the way up though (totally different to the Sierra design) so I wouldnt really be able to fit an additional column stem, but as long as your column stem is larger diameter than mine (which if its accomodating the Sierra inner column it will be) then my column will pass through the paddle collar so surely all Id need to do is mod the top of my column to replicate the stem you're providing, with threaded lugs top and bottom to accept the bolts that pass through the rod ends?

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 24/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

the_fbi - 24/3/06 at 06:29 PM

I don't suppose you'll be able to do one which accepts the allegro column?

Either way, it'll look great on the wall even if I can't get it to fit, so I'll take one too

Feel free to email me to chase in case I miss this thread. chris@chrismobile.com

ta
Chris

highspeeddirt - 24/3/06 at 08:04 PM

Put me down for one too
Thanks

Steve

[Edited on 24/3/06 by highspeeddirt]

the moa 2 - 24/3/06 at 09:03 PM

Me too please.

Any idea on when you think you'll start em ?

mad-butcher - 25/3/06 at 09:48 AM

this place do an aluminium anodising kit and a nickel plating kit ...Frost Restorers Equipment www.frost.co.uk

pathfinder - 27/3/06 at 06:29 PM

Evening all,

I have placed an order for the first batch of laser cutting and expect to have a finished product ready for dispatch in 2-3 weeks time! I will keep this thread open and offer the first kits to those who expressed there interest first!
I didn’t expect to get such a good response so it looks like I have a few long nights in the workshop coming up!

Keep checking this thread for progress

Regards

Thom

the moa 2 - 27/3/06 at 09:37 PM

COOL !

whpracer - 28/3/06 at 07:32 PM

I also would like to order one if you don't mind sending it to holland ?
or maybe I can pick one up at stoneleigh ?

cheers

pathfinder - 6/4/06 at 09:58 PM

Just a quick update on the paddles
The first batch of parts have been made/ordered I’m just waiting for the laser cutting to be delivered (hopefully tomorrow, defiantly early next week?!?), then it’s a couple of hours welding and 2-3 days for powder coating (and anodizing if any1 wants it) I can see the bank holiday messing up all my plans though???

Will post a few shots of the laser cutting when it arrives!

Regards
Thom

Whpracer:
Holland is no problem.

the_fbi - 6/4/06 at 10:18 PM

Winston Todge - 6/4/06 at 10:42 PM

Looks like a great bit of engineering Thom! You do stuff like this for your work?

I am very interested in this design but am also retaining the Sierra switchgear. Would the version two be able to fit in front of the switch gear? What are your ideas on mounting points?

Thanks mate and very interested to see what the version ones look like!

Ta,

Chris.

tks - 7/4/06 at 05:23 AM

that the problem with the sierra with switches will be that the switches should stay accesible. This sounds logic but the alu moon shape will be hiding them.

Also the room between the switches and the wheel isn´t much. Sow the movement cant be much to.

The trick should be that the ring is mounted behind the switches, and that the press plate is mounted before the switches.

the only option i see is to make the ring smaller to not to hide the switches, but have no idea if anyone can still reach the ring then.

also we should test if the HIGH beam switch is a problem because of its direction of movement.

Regards,

Tks

[Edited on 7/4/06 by tks]

pathfinder - 7/4/06 at 09:04 AM

I’ve got a degree in industrial design but have a boring day job so am doing little projects like this to keep my hand in! I haven’t had time to look at the mk2 version in much detail but as tks says it’s a bit of a squeeze to get all the controls in the correct place but I’m convinced it is possible.

locoboy - 9/4/06 at 04:24 PM

Will this design allow you to retain the 'collapsable' section of the column required for SVA purposes?

gttman - 9/4/06 at 07:39 PM

I'm also interested, is there a st'd way of connecting this to the gearbox?

pathfinder - 10/4/06 at 08:21 PM

Hi gents,

I got the first batch of laser cutting back today so couldn’t resist building one up to show you! It’s in its raw state and will look even better when powder coated and anodized! Price for Black powder coated stem and raw aluminium is going to be £68 collected or £73 delivered. Anodizing will be extra and I should have a price for this tomorrow!

Locoboy- this design does not use the collapsable section so may not be sva friendly!

Gttman – the paddle shifter connects to your gearbox via rods & levers, have a look through the photo archives for inspiration, every build is slightly different so I can’t offer a complete kit, although there are a few more parts in the pipe line…

[Edited on 10/4/06 by pathfinder] Rescued attachment proto 003.jpg
Rescued attachment proto 003.jpg

Pezza - 10/4/06 at 08:45 PM

looks delish mate, still defo after one
Just let me know when I reach the head of the list and i'll send you the money.
Pez

gttman - 10/4/06 at 10:12 PM

OK so they are retrofit.... I'm still keen, would there be any chance of getting a pair without the bolt holes so that I could get them alloy welded instead?

zxrlocost - 10/4/06 at 10:12 PM

how thick is the alloy mate

mandbsheldon - 11/4/06 at 04:58 AM

Just let me know when they are available!!!!!!!!
And how/when you want your money, no problem if you want it in advance.
Leigh.

carlgeldard - 11/4/06 at 06:51 AM

I like it. Where are you and how would you like the payments to be made.

Carl

pathfinder - 11/4/06 at 09:39 PM

Evening all,

I spoke to the anodizing man and he can alchrome (gold) the + & - paddles and etch the other ali parts so they are silky smooth for the princely sum of £7! He did a sample for me while I was there and it looks quality!

Answers to the above questions:

Gttman:
At the moment I can only get them with the holes pre cut, any welder worth his salt should be able to fill the holes for you and then polish it up!

Zxrlocost:
The ali is 4mm thick but doubled up to 8mm at the adjustable sections, zero flex!

Mandbsheldon & Carl
I live in a small village near Huntingdon (cambs) if anyone wants to come collect a kit!
Paypal is my preferred method of payment/donation but can except cash or cheque!

The bank holiday is going to hold up production a bit but I shall have a few shots of it in the car by the end of the weekend and finished kits by late next week!

Shall keep you all posted

Regards

Thom

zxrlocost - 12/4/06 at 08:48 AM

alright mate I appreciate its doubled up
but I really would try one first

if you have or your certain then fair enough

whpracer - 22/4/06 at 12:32 PM

Hi Thom,

how is it going with the paddle shift kits ?
any idey when you have them ready ?
I would like to have the paddle's finished in that gold look.

paypal payment is good, and do you have any idea about delivery cost to holland ?

cheers

peter

the moa 2 - 26/4/06 at 07:46 PM

Dont supose any paddles will be ready for the stoneleigh show if ya going ?

I can pay when ever you need.

carlgeldard - 27/4/06 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by the moa 2
Dont supose any paddles will be ready for the stoneleigh show if ya going ?

I can pay when ever you need.

Same here

Thanks Carl

pathfinder - 28/4/06 at 09:20 PM

Sorry for the delay chaps, the last couple of weeks have been totally manic but I’ve finally got round to finishing the paddle shift kits! What do you think?
I may be a Stoneleigh on Monday if I’m given day release, but wouldn’t like to say for sure!

Regards
Thom Rescued attachment pads 0010.jpg
Rescued attachment pads 0010.jpg

pathfinder - 28/4/06 at 09:22 PM

Adjustable width!!!

[Edited on 28/4/06 by pathfinder] Rescued attachment pads 0060.jpg
Rescued attachment pads 0060.jpg

Confused but excited. - 28/4/06 at 11:08 PM

Very nice indeed!

Winston Todge - 28/4/06 at 11:45 PM

They look fantastic mate!

Great job.

Chris.

the moa 2 - 29/4/06 at 10:07 AM

They do look great does this mean youve got some to start selling or are they the only two youve got ?

the moa 2 - 29/4/06 at 10:07 AM

They do look great does this mean youve got some to start selling or are they the only two youve got ?

carlgeldard - 29/4/06 at 07:08 PM

I can't wait I will hopefully receive mine next week in the gold effect. The timing is prefect thanks Thom. I am looking forward to fitting it next weekend. I will keep you all posted.

Carl

carlgeldard - 3/5/06 at 11:57 AM

Just got mine in the post and it's the Dogs you know what.

Carl

dilley - 3/5/06 at 12:01 PM

How much are they and have you got any left????

pathfinder - 8/5/06 at 08:36 PM

Hi

Just to let u know that I’ve got a couple of spare paddle shift kits left over! may not be making these again for a little while so get them while you can. £76 including postage
U2U me if your interested.

Thom

pathfinder - 8/5/06 at 08:41 PM

.... Rescued attachment setup 0111.jpg
Rescued attachment setup 0111.jpg

skydivepaul - 8/5/06 at 10:12 PM

you have U2U

carlgeldard - 9/5/06 at 05:37 PM

Paul

It's a really nice piece of kit. Are you going to Ackworth tomorrow night if you are I will take mine for you to see.

Carl

mandbsheldon - 10/5/06 at 05:39 PM

Got my paddle kit today Fantastic!!!!!

Thanks Thom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leigh

skydivepaul - 10/5/06 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
Paul

It's a really nice piece of kit. Are you going to Ackworth tomorrow night if you are I will take mine for you to see.

Carl

Cant make it carl as i have just got back home tonight. I'll bob down soon and take a look if thats o.k.

geoffreyh - 13/5/06 at 05:51 PM

Thom: Can you post a picture from the back from the setup you took your last picture from?

Regards,

Geoff

[Edited on 13/5/06 by geoffreyh]

whpracer - 13/5/06 at 07:39 PM

got mine yesterday,

great stuff thom

manny thanks

Blackbird Rush - 21/5/06 at 11:46 AM

Hi,

Just found this thread, are the kits still available? can someone post a pic of the rear of the set up with mountings.

Cheers

Ash.