Board logo

What's the weight of a Hayabusa engine?
andyd - 20/5/08 at 02:29 PM

Searched on here and done a general Google but haven't found a definite answer.

I'm looking for either the dry or wet weight of just the engine i.e. not the whole bike.

Other postings on other forums have suggested about 90kgs but I'm just wondering if anyone has a busa lump "laying around" they can weigh.

I've got a 3D model of the engine which I want to amend the material weight of so as not to whack my chassis weight figures off the planet. At the moment it's set for steel and a solid lump of steel at that. Makes it weigh about 400kgs.

Any links/refs/pointers much appreciated.

worX - 20/5/08 at 02:52 PM

I can't find the post, but I'm sure I read somewhere on here a figure of 93 or 95 Kilos.

Sorry to not be exact, but the old grey matter ain't what it used to be

Steve

Fatgadget - 20/5/08 at 02:55 PM

A quick email to Suzuki technical support maybe? You would be surprised how helpful some of these huge companies can turn out to be. I once requested some mundane info about something and by return post I recieved a sample product!

andyd - 20/5/08 at 02:56 PM

95kgs is good for a start point. Just didn't want to make it too light or too heavy for that matter. 5-10kgs over is good enough for me to get a feel of the overall weight of the car.

Obviously if your grey matter kicks in then please do post the link.

I've also looked on the BEC yahoo group but not found any definite answer either.

andyd - 20/5/08 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
A quick email to Suzuki technical support maybe?

Hmmm... worth a shot. Good idea. Thanks.

iiyama - 20/5/08 at 03:38 PM

I thought they were around 82Kg's. I could pick mine up. Just! Dont think I could lift 90+

Phil.J - 20/5/08 at 03:42 PM

About 85kg.

andyd - 20/5/08 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
I thought they were around 82Kg's. I could pick mine up. Just! Dont think I could lift 90+

I'd guess that if the "bare block" was about 80-85kgs then with all the ancilleries it might make 90kgs so if I go with 95kgs then it won't be too far off.

Better to over estimate for now and be pleasantly surprised when I eventually get the thing built.

Ricks-9r - 20/5/08 at 05:39 PM

this should help http://www.westfield-world.com/enginespecs_bike.html

iiyama - 20/5/08 at 06:22 PM

what ancilleries we talking about? My engine was complete with loom and things like filter, starter motor etc were all on. I could have strapped a battery to it and a fuel pump and started it.

If your talking about wet weights then mine is probably up to 95KG's as Ive dry sumped.

andyd - 20/5/08 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ricks-9r
this should help http://www.westfield-world.com/enginespecs_bike.html

That says 80kgs but "not confirmed".

andyd - 20/5/08 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
what ancilleries we talking about?

I was talking about pretty much what you listed including the dry sump gear.

I'll stick with 95kgs for design purposes and refine that later when I can afford to buy the engine!

Cheers chaps for all the replies.

sucksqueezebangblow - 20/5/08 at 09:12 PM

I'll try to weigh mine this weekend before I drop it into the car. I'll let you know if I succeed!

andyd - 21/5/08 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
I'll try to weigh mine this weekend before I drop it into the car. I'll let you know if I succeed!

Cheers mate, that'd be cool.