Board logo

Noob question - Car with no paperwork
Banana - 11/4/16 at 02:04 PM

Apologies if this has been covered a hundred times.

Beautiful 90% complete Locost near me for sale. However - no paperwork....

Is there a legit way of registering this car to get it on the road? (it has no vin no. etc.)

thanks

tegwin - 11/4/16 at 02:24 PM

Has it ever been registered and on the road or is it a new build?

SeaBass - 11/4/16 at 02:26 PM

Yep - it's called IVA

loggyboy - 11/4/16 at 02:27 PM

If its been registered then apply for V5 (assuming you have a plate).
If it hasn't It will need an IVA then registration. (£500 for iva, £55 (IIRC) for registration plus road tax)

[Edited on 11-4-16 by loggyboy]

Banana - 11/4/16 at 02:38 PM

New (incomplete) build.

I can't apply for log book/iva test without a VIN number though, surely?

Banana - 11/4/16 at 02:39 PM

£500 for IVA!? Thats a nice little earner for someone..

loggyboy - 11/4/16 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Banana
New (incomplete) build.

IF its been registered before you can, but at least a reg would be needed. Sounds unlikely to have been though.

quote:

£500 for IVA!? Thats a nice little earner for someone..

Half a days work a trained vosa tester, and a fair amount of paper work.

[Edited on 11-4-16 by loggyboy]

hizzi - 11/4/16 at 02:58 PM

quote:
New (incomplete) build.

new and incomplete build requires a letter to dvla to be issued a vin number, if the donor parts are form different cars you will end up q plate, if it has one donor and you have its details you may get that number, go have a read of the iva test rules

loggyboy - 11/4/16 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
new and incomplete build requires a letter to dvla to be issued a vin number, if the donor parts are form different cars you will end up q plate, if it has one donor and you have its details you may get that number, go have a read of the iva test rules

Just to clarify, its DVLA that set rules for registration. IVA only care about age of engine.

Jamesc - 11/4/16 at 03:14 PM

As mentioned, you send a letter to the DVLA and ask for a VIN number (Details of where to send can be found on here somewhere)

As for the IVA, you need to show that the car is an amateur build and they accept photos or receipts for that. Once passed the IVA, you can be issued a Q plate with no paperwork.

owelly - 11/4/16 at 07:44 PM

Before you go any further, post up some piccies and we'll suggest if it will pass the IVA!!

Banana - 11/4/16 at 08:22 PM

[Edited on 11/4/16 by Banana]

Banana - 11/4/16 at 08:31 PM

Essentially then, you can get a Q plate, even if there is no details of the donor parts or the engine?

And in terms of buying an anonymous/blank canvas - the only 'challenge/risk' will be the physical scrutineering and not document related?

Just noticed there is a IVA forum... oops There is a lot of sub sections here to choose from.

Banana - 11/4/16 at 09:10 PM

Pictures.

Jamesc - 11/4/16 at 09:33 PM

I stand to be corrected, but it looks like it only has one brake master cylinder? If so, surely it can't meet the IVA split braking circuit requirements?

See IVA Manual, Sec 09A, RS4

adithorp - 11/4/16 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
I stand to be corrected, but it looks like it only has one brake master cylinder? If so, surely it can't meet the IVA split braking circuit requirements?

Tandem master cylinder like every tin-top. Not an issue.

Jamesc - 12/4/16 at 06:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc

Tandem master cylinder like every tin-top. Not an issue.

Ah yes, fair enough, didn't think of that! Worth a check though.

owelly - 12/4/16 at 09:49 AM

Wishbone welds look terrible! Just a bead layed over the join with no penetration. They need sorting and check the other welds.