Board logo

Sierra diff question AGAIN
Charlie_Zetec - 16/2/17 at 05:17 PM

Evening all, I'm after some brain-picking regarding Sierra diffs. Before anyone pipes up and says "use the search function", I already have, and read through the 7th Heaven website, but still can't find a direct answer to my quandary.

I've been offered the rear diff and shafts from a 2.0l DOHC Sierra Sapphire. I'm told it's a 4x4, but am unable to verify this as am not near the vehicle geographically. I have the vehicle reg number if that helps, but don't want to post here in a public forum as I'm not the owner of the vehicle. The tag on the diff cover isn't legible. Seller says it has bolt-on shafts, and has sent me the following picture, that *looks* like the shafts are (rusty) bolt-on Lobro units.

Diff & flange (from rear)

Can anyone confirm whether this is likely to be a 7 or 7.5" unit? I thought 4x4 Sierras used a 3.62 ratio LSD with 100m flanges, but can anyone offer FACTUAL knowledge please.... Don't really fancy the long journey Sunday to find it's not a LSD, or uses 108mm flanges.

Assuming it's the correct type, I'll be sending away for overhaul (upgrade) - so my standard 3.62 LSD will be for sale in a couple of weeks if of any interest to people on here.

Thanks!

[Edited on 16/2/17 by Charlie_Zetec]

coozer - 16/2/17 at 05:51 PM

Ask him to run a ruler over the width of the top mounting as that's either 7 or 7.5.

Can he also run the ruler across the lobo and check that as well?

Charlie_Zetec - 16/2/17 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Ask him to run a ruler over the width of the top mounting as that's either 7 or 7.5.

Can he also run the ruler across the lobo and check that as well?

I did ask him to check if it was an open-faced 7" chamber with a single top bolt, and was told it was, although he couldn't get exact measurement across.

All the hints suggest I'm on the right track, but didn't know if anyone might k ow from the car model itself - assuming it's not a Friday night Dagenham special!

mark chandler - 16/2/17 at 07:23 PM

Bolt on half shafts, 4x4 Sierra my money would be on a 3.65 LSD

Barkalarr - 16/2/17 at 07:47 PM

Charlie - what diff are you after ? Drop me a text - I've got 5 of these in the workshop in various guise and I'm a lot lot closer

Neil

snapper - 17/2/17 at 10:18 AM

If it from a 2.0L DOHC 4x4 it is a rare 3.9 viscous LSD

Charlie_Zetec - 17/2/17 at 10:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
If it from a 2.0L DOHC 4x4 it is a rare 3.9 viscous LSD

That's the sort of good news I was hoping for! Fingers crossed, will find out Sunday when I collect exactly what my hard-earned cash has *potentially* bought me....

theduck - 17/2/17 at 11:07 AM

Could be interested in your current one if all pans out with this one.

Charlie_Zetec - 17/2/17 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Could be interested in your current one if all pans out with this one.

Will update Monday eve, but will bear this in mind!

Just18972 - 12/5/17 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
Charlie - what diff are you after ? Drop me a text - I've got 5 of these in the workshop in various guise and I'm a lot lot closer

Neil

I maybe interested too

jacko - 12/5/17 at 06:23 PM

Mine came out a 2l twin cam it was a 3,62 open diff the car was a G reg if that helps bolt on shafts 100mm
jacko