Board logo

Sylva J15 rolling chassis
theprisioner - 31/12/12 at 05:50 PM

http://youtu.be/gv1rk9z7mhQ

No brakes other than the handbrake, temp gauge reading inacurately (compared to external IR one).

Est finish Mar 2013 perhaps.

striker-4age - 31/12/12 at 06:16 PM

Like the look of that m8

MsD - 31/12/12 at 06:17 PM

Looks like a well made little bit of kit!

Finished in March? We will see But good luck!

Have you got the bodywork for it yet?

Mark.

Riskyshift - 31/12/12 at 06:39 PM

Looking good. Could be quite tempted by that!

theprisioner - 31/12/12 at 06:53 PM

Yes I do have the bodywork (red) but will probably have to wait till I get some help to fit it. Lots of fiddly jobs to do before that.

monkeyarms - 31/12/12 at 07:15 PM

Well done. Your rate of progress is amazing!

minitici - 31/12/12 at 07:28 PM

Excellent!

coozer - 31/12/12 at 09:38 PM

Looks like you forget to buy some treads for the tyres!

Well done, looks and sounds mint!

Madinventions - 1/1/13 at 12:16 AM

Well done - isn't it a great feeling when it moves under it's own power for the first time?!

Reminds me of my first test drive with the Mojo:

All the best with the rest of the build!
Ed.

Jenko - 1/1/13 at 07:16 PM

I'm envious....but well done..can't wait to get to that stage.

What size wheels are you running.....must admit, I was going to go 14's, but I now have my eye on 15's as there is far more choice.

theprisioner - 1/1/13 at 08:04 PM

I have a Westfield and already have various track tyres/wheels so 15" are my preferred choice, judging by my choice of Hydra OEM caliper from Rally design on the back then I doubt 14" would fit without modifying the handbrake takeoff. A chap (Paul Collingwood) has 13" and they look the business, I have no idea what rear calipers he has. I viewed his car last March at Cadwell.

http://youtu.be/r_IwNYjZRhU

Jenko - 2/1/13 at 07:00 AM

I'm in the process of restoring a set the the hydra calipers I liberated from a vw passat, so I guess that will help me decide anyway.

Looking great though, and well done thus far.

theprisioner - 2/1/13 at 08:01 PM

I am not impressed with the RD Hydra caliper fit on the J15, I cannot find a decent route for the handbrake cable no matter how I try. It is somewhat of a revelation that they are off a VW Passat. If I come across a better solution I will be dumping my Hydra calipers at least now I can advertise them as being able to fit something when I put them on ebay. I have emailed Paul Collingwood to see what he did having fitted 13" wheels he must have fitted a more compact unit.

Jenko - 2/1/13 at 09:35 PM

Hummm...interesting, I've not thought of the cable route...I assumed it was ok for these calipers.

As for selling them on...I think you will find they are found on almost every vw / skoda / seat /Audi since 2000 with rear discs, they should sell easily. Shame really because they are quite light being mostly alloy.

nickm - 4/1/13 at 08:24 PM

I am still to sort the handbrake cables but i know "i predict a riot" had a very neat solution. You dont reckon the IVA man will pick them up in case they will foul a road hump and break ? as they are below the floor line do you ?
Excellent progressand a nice job youve overtaken me and ive been at it for 2 years plus !

Nick M

theprisioner - 4/1/13 at 09:38 PM

The handbrake cables are not as low as the gearbox bits and anyway I am considering a plate to go over it all and add protection (possibly not for IVA tho).

The temperature gauge is now sorted and I can move on to other things now.

I have added up the hours to go and I make it in excess of 120hrs, and that does not take into account sorting out that f... handbrake. I am off to B&Q in the morning to find some bits to sort it out I hope!