Board logo

FWD driveline to RWD
attila11101 - 1/9/05 at 08:05 PM

This may sound stupid so bear with me, please.

I am wanting to use a Caddy v8 in a MR-like locost. Because of its layout, the engine hangs off the back more like a Rear-engined car. I want to spin the engine around so that more of its weight is inboard. Is there a simple way to change the direction the transmission spins so that this is feasible?

mookaloid - 1/9/05 at 08:08 PM

er in theory if you turn the tranny upside down it would work.

cheers

Mark

Liam - 1/9/05 at 09:21 PM

Aint there FWD caddys (deville, seville?) that are transverse just like any european transverse FWD layout? So if you put that whole lump in the back of a [big] midi then the weight of the engine would be in front of the rear axle anyway??

I seem to remember a cadillac FWD V8 being shoved in the back of a transit van in this way in scrapheap challenge over here...

liam

violentblue - 2/9/05 at 12:29 AM

the cadilac engine is in front of the axle, are you saying you want to move it further forward?
if so then you'd have to go to a longitudaly mounted mid engine configuration. (audi 5000t tranny may take the torque)

Dale - 2/9/05 at 03:40 AM

Maybe he is talking about the old eldorado with the big 500ci v8 that faces front rear.
Dale

britishtrident - 2/9/05 at 10:47 AM

Ah like the old Tornado istr that was the model that had a morse chain in the transmision.

I think it is time to think again --

I know the caddy engine slightly from the old Rolls Royce V8, (it may comes as shock but it was a license built caddy engine RR and GM cross licensed a lot of stuff in complex deals to do with aero engines and nuclear technology) -- not exactly light weight I certainly wouldn't want that behind me in a front end shunt.

8smokingbarrels - 2/9/05 at 12:48 PM

Liam,

I remember that on scrapheap challenge too, tho I seem to remember it going into a beetle with the roof lopped off. I think the engine was V6- might have been a different episode.

Definitely a transverse arrangement would make a lot of sense if the right gearbox can be found

chris

Alan B - 2/9/05 at 01:26 PM

A company called Mid-engineering used to use that engine all the time in middy conversions...not sure if they are still around.

Liam - 3/9/05 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 8smokingbarrels
I remember that on scrapheap challenge too, tho I seem to remember it going into a beetle with the roof lopped off. I think the engine was V6- might have been a different episode.

V8 in a transit van / V6 in a beetle... um yeah it's probably safe to say they were different episodes!

Sorry - that just made me laugh!
Liam