Board logo

QUAIFE POWERtec GEAR DRIVE SYSTEM
lsdweb - 12/11/05 at 12:47 PM

Hi All

I'm considering building a mid engine car and have been offerred a Quaife Powertec Gear Drive System and Blackbird engine at a reasonable price.

However, I've heard that the Quaife box (as used in Radicals) of tricks saps a large amount of power - does anybody know about this?

Regards

Wyn Rescued attachment quaife.jpg
Rescued attachment quaife.jpg

kb58 - 12/11/05 at 02:27 PM

I don't think that applies to the box above. You're hearing about their reverse box only, the one that goes between a front-mounted engine and the differential. Yes it leaks like crazy, but I've never heard anything bad about the unit above.

[Edited on 11/12/05 by kb58]

jono_misfit - 12/11/05 at 06:46 PM

If your interested in a gear drive transfer system for a mid mounted bike engine, you could try emailing DJ Racecars for a price.

They have one they make inhouse for their racecars. Try www.djracecars.com

jono

Rorty - 12/11/05 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jono_misfit
If your interested in a gear drive transfer system for a mid mounted bike engine, you could try emailing DJ Racecars for a price.

They have one they make inhouse for their racecars. Try www.djracecars.com

jono

I had a look on their site and couldn't see any reference to a transaxle. Do you have any pics or other info of it?
What I did see nearly knocked me out of my chair; Paddle gear shift (air operated) - £1400.00. Holy effing crap!

Minicooper - 13/11/05 at 05:47 PM

Wyn,
This powertec box absorbs about 10%, this was from Radical itself

Rorty,
I have seen this box it's very neat and small, when I spoke to them it was only available for the Hayabusa. It mounts to the engine solidly, so machined to suit sprocket cover bolt holes,etc. They said it could be made to fit almost any engine but would require specific machining to do this

I have several pictures somewhere I shall have a look see

Cheers
David

lsdweb - 13/11/05 at 08:31 PM

Hi Rorty

The gear drive system is in the Quaife catalogue at:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/page85.htm

These are the units fitted to the Radical SR3's I believe.

I've almost done the deal on the engine/box and gear drive system - we're just haggling over £100 - difficult to haggle with a good friend!

There's a picture in my original post.

Regards

Wyn

Jon Ison - 13/11/05 at 10:03 PM

i'm also lead too belive its a tad heavy too.

Rorty - 14/11/05 at 03:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Hi Rorty

The gear drive system is in the Quaife catalogue at:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/page85.htm

These are the units fitted to the Radical SR3's I believe.

I've almost done the deal on the engine/box and gear drive system - we're just haggling over £100 - difficult to haggle with a good friend!

There's a picture in my original post.

Regards

Wyn

Thanks, I'm familiar with Quaiffe's various transaxles, it was the DJ Racecars item I was interested in, though by Minicooper's description, I think I have seen it before. AFAIR it's a long billet affair with an ecentric bearing to adjust chain tension.

Minicooper - 14/11/05 at 09:28 AM

Hello Rorty,
It is a billet machined casing, but no chain its gear driven, much smaller than the powertec unit, it's very neat I don't know why they haven't pushed them, no reverse though perhaps that's why. Although they were talking of a electric reverse being added

Cheers
David

jono_misfit - 15/11/05 at 10:22 AM

Yep, the DJ box is a machined alloy one but no eccentric. (Ive edditted my lie out....)

Its a pure gear drive from engine sprocket to read diff so no chains.

Its used on the firehawk single seater but as everyone uses a busa in them thats all they've been designed for at the moment. If anyone was interested in them for fitting a different engine it just requires the mounting to be machined differently (I think) so only some cad changes. And a new one machined up in-house.

If you want some info call Del on 01663 734 518 im sure he'll be happy to discuss if he's in.

Ive got the cad model for it but im not allowed to give it out.

The gear shift is quite expensive but it depends who's system it is. I know one car has a S.B.D power shift on it, but one of the others has a DJ / Steve moore version.

jono

P.S if i sound like an advert for them im not intending to, but im a bit biased as worked there over the summer.

[Edited on 15/11/05 by jono_misfit]