Board logo

Viento LT77 Bell Housing, Remote and Clutch
Irony - 20/8/10 at 01:05 PM

I have started a fresh post for this topic as I hope it might be a reference for other users.

I am currently building a Viento with a 3.9 Rover V8.

Having been through a lot of previous posts I have labelled up the following diagram. I have assumed that the 200TDI parts will fit as per some other posts on here.

Description
Description

I anyone can point out if I have made some mistakes.

Also I found this website that has some nice piccys of clutch parts and I don't know where some of them go. Could someone help me identify these parts

Description
Description

What is the clutch spigot bush and where does it go? (left column, 4th image down)

Clutch Arm Release Rod??? (left column, second from bottom)

Gear Lever Plunger Spring? (Left column, bottom)

Cutch Clamp Rod? (right column, third from bottom)

Gear lever plunger? (right column, bottom)

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be fabulous?

[Edited on 20/8/10 by Irony]

AdamR - 20/8/10 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
What is the clutch spigot bush and where does it go? (right column, 4th image down)

Clutch Arm Release Rod??? (left column, second from bottom)

The spigot bush is pressed into the end of the crankshaft, and is used to locate the gearbox input shaft. If your V8 is from a manual donor, then you'll already have one.

The release rod is what connects the slave cylinder to the release arm.

Other bits are internal gearbox spares as far as I can tell, so you'll be fine without unless you have a specific problem with your 'box.

HTH

Irony - 20/8/10 at 01:18 PM

Also I have now somehow managed to get two LT77's. One came with the car and one with the bellhousing I bought. One came from a man of dubious reputation and the other from a locoster off here who seems a nice fellow. Both came with the saying 'I've not tried it myself but I was told it was a goodun'.

So I have no way of knowing which is anygood or if any is good at all. They are as follows

19A106516C

Description
Description

Description
Description

The other is 17A0079175D

Description
Description

Description
Description

I know the D coded one is supposed to be the stronger but it's from the dodgy source. Both don't have much play in the input shaft as far as I can tell and both will select all gears. I don't think the Viento will let you get the gearbox out without taking the engine out so I would like to make the right desision before I put it all togther.

I did think about contacting gearbox refurbishers (ashcrofts et al) and asking if I could swap two for one and some cash or something?

Any ideas?

jollygreengiant - 20/8/10 at 02:00 PM

If you have two boxes and some degree of uncertainty, I would be tempted to take both to a refurbishers and ask them to visually inspect both and then overhaul the worst box, as they should both be capable of taking the same punishment. But you would then be left with a spare reasonable box that you could sell on if you wanted, with the knowledge that it should not be that bad a condition.

Oh, and the clutch spigot bush is LEFT column, not right.

Paul (Notts) - 20/8/10 at 02:09 PM

Drain the gearbox oil ( Devils Blood ) out of them and compare it for small bits of metal.

Irony - 20/8/10 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

Oh, and the clutch spigot bush is LEFT column, not right.

Aha, you spotted my totally and utterly deliberate mistake. Well done Sir! My hat off to you!

Paul (Notts) - 20/8/10 at 02:27 PM

Paul (Notts) - 20/8/10 at 02:28 PM

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006111

parts list

seem to recall the pluger spring was a pain to fit...

yes this is a tr7 but almost the same as the sd1 .

[Edited on 20/8/10 by Paul (Notts)]

Paul (Notts) - 20/8/10 at 02:48 PM

quote:

Cutch Clamp Rod? (right column, third from bottom)

holds the plunger that goes from the clutch slave cylinder onto the clutch arm. Very importans not to miss this out.

ie holds the end of the plunger onto the arm but alows it to rotate.

IanBrace - 20/8/10 at 06:35 PM

Hi Kev, I can come round and we can pull one apart and inspect it if you like... a manual would help if you have one..

Irony - 20/8/10 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)

Cheer for that Paul, I spent a while looking on rimmers hoping for that image. I couldn't find it in the SD1 catalogue. That helps a lot.

Irony - 20/8/10 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by IanBrace
Hi Kev, I can come round and we can pull one apart and inspect it if you like... a manual would help if you have one..

Cheers for that Ian and I might reserve that help for when I drop the V8 in for the first time. I am going to go over that image in detail and I might purchase a SD1 Manual.

Irony - 20/8/10 at 10:14 PM

Just found out that my V8 Lt77 Bellhousing is in fact not a V8 bellhousing. Bugger.

Irony - 21/8/10 at 09:41 AM

After spending a couple of hours cleaning the aforementioned bellhousing up last night I thought I'd just have a trial fit. It just doesn't fit at all. It's not a 4 wheel drive version, I think it must be from some other engine.

rusty nuts - 21/8/10 at 12:43 PM

As I stated in my earlier posts these boxes were use several other cars and vans with different engines and gear ratios. Might be worth checking the gear ratios in your box(es) as you could have an LDV box with totally unsuitable ratios

Irony - 22/8/10 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
As I stated in my earlier posts these boxes were use several other cars and vans with different engines and gear ratios. Might be worth checking the gear ratios in your box(es) as you could have an LDV box with totally unsuitable ratios

I know these were used in several different vehicles as I have read most peoples previous posts. I bought this box and bell as a SD1 V8. It is very similar but quite clearly doesn't fit. I think the guy who sold it me was unaware that it was not a V8.

wilkingj - 22/8/10 at 08:04 PM

Check the serial number on the machined flat at the bottom of the box. Google LT77 box numbers and it should tell you what it came from.

Somewhere i think I might have a LT77-V8 bell housing.
If you get really stuck, let me know and I will have to tidy up the garage to try and find it

PS... Its a bit of a let down when people tell you its out of a TVR, and you find its from a 2.6 SD1 , still never mind, it works well with a 3.63 LSD in the tail end and with a V8 up front

EDIT:
Come to think of it, I might even have a spare clutch cover and plate (all new)!

[Edited on 22/8/2010 by wilkingj]