Board logo

Which alternator
Streetfighterpete - 8/11/14 at 02:27 PM

Hi guys,

What size and type of alternator should I be using on my Luego. I'm fitting a 2.0 Zetec black top engine with bike carbs fitted and the existing alternator is too large. I'm obviously not running power steering or air con, so I'm assuming I can run a much lower rated alternator? I bought a retro ford alternator for a RWD Zetec conversion, but this is also too large. Any advice, pics and details much appreciated - has anyone got a suitable unit for sale?

Cheers

Pete

blakep82 - 8/11/14 at 02:32 PM

One of the denso ones as used on most japanese cars, kubota tractors etc, small, about 45A output should do the job

big-vee-twin - 8/11/14 at 02:58 PM

This is the one linky

As said before you will find the same on Diahatsu Charade cars. Have a look on eBay there's usually a few on there.

Andybarbet - 8/11/14 at 04:26 PM

I picked up one from a Bedford rascal van, looks smaller than the zetec but ive not made a bracket yet so can't confirm if it will fit once the throttle bodies/inlet are on.

I can measure the alternator in the morning if it helps ?

I paid £15 for it so new old stock so quite a bit cheaper than a denso, unless you get a lucky bargain on ebay.

Keep us informed on how you get on, i would also be interested in the bracket & where/how it mounts under the inlet ?

I had to make up an Ali spacer to allow the zetec pulley to fit onto the smaller diameter shaft.
Rascal alternator
Rascal alternator

pulley & spacer
pulley & spacer

[Edited on 8/11/14 by Andybarbet]

big_wasa - 8/11/14 at 05:22 PM

Denso's are around 40A and as small as you will find.

So small they fit them to some bikes and that's where I got one from for my latest project.

My last one.

SPYDER - 8/11/14 at 06:52 PM

Theres one finishing very soon...

KUBOTA / DENSO ALTERNATOR 12v 40amp

And another...

Alternator - Aixam 500 diesel 2001

[Edited on 8/11/14 by SPYDER]

Streetfighterpete - 8/11/14 at 07:59 PM

Guys,

Thanks so much for all your advice. This is such a great forum for those of us who don't have as much experience as others. I'm going to look out for one of the small Denso units. Watch this space!