Board logo

Viento rear wishbone bushes
MikeBaker - 22/5/19 at 07:31 PM

Hi all,

So my car failed it’s mot on the rear wishbone bushes, is there a specific replacement or an easy fix for the play?

As always, any help is appreciated

Cheers
Mike

rusty nuts - 22/5/19 at 08:21 PM

Probably best to remove one suspension arm and measure the inside diameter and the width of the wishbone eye and order a complete set of bushes and more importantly a set of stainless steel crush tubes from one of the polybush suppliers? It may be the suspension bolts are not tightened due to the well known crush tube problem? Were the wishbone mounting brackets to wishbone bushes spaced out with washers as the mountings are wider than the bushes?

MikeBaker - 23/5/19 at 08:00 AM

Are there no technical specs?

It’s just one that has failed but the rest are advisory so may as well change the lot.

Is there a good supplier that make custom sizes that aren’t ridiculously priced?

Not sure to be honest (built by my step dad, and he just said the need sorting) I’ll have to take it apart and have a look at it properly.

rusty nuts - 23/5/19 at 01:58 PM

I’ve not seen or heard of any technical specs but Steve Lovelock got some new bushes for his Velocity, think the details may be posted on the forum? Wouldn’t have thought Luego would have used anything that wasn’t easily available?

40inches - 23/5/19 at 02:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Probably best to remove one suspension arm and measure the inside diameter and the width of the wishbone eye and order a complete set of bushes

If you do that, I have some MK bushes that I can measure for you.

OliilO - 23/5/19 at 05:09 PM

Mk dimensions are on the kitcardirect website.

I'd be interested in this as i've got a Mac#1 and the OD of the bushes are 32mm so larger than MK ones. I'm currently at a loss for where to find something suitable now Mac#1 no longer exist.

rusty nuts - 23/5/19 at 05:26 PM

Suspension-bushes,co,uk shows dimensions

Five seconds on goggle

OliilO - 23/5/19 at 05:42 PM

Cheers. I'd limited my searches to kit car bushes rather than generic; obviously too narrow minded.

rusty nuts - 23/5/19 at 06:44 PM

Like I pointed out remove one arm and measure the bushes, that way you will know which size you need .

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/27/viewthread.php?tid=63426

Have a read of this , there’s loads more posts on the subject

MikeBaker - 28/5/19 at 09:23 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

Hopefully I will be taking the suspension apart tonight and this week, clean it up and get some measurements.

MikeBaker - 28/5/19 at 05:39 PM

Ok, so the wishbones on the drivers rear are off, before I took them off I mopped the bolts tights and no more play, so I may be able to get it through it’s Mot, but while the stuff is off I may aswell measure.

So I have some digital vernier callipers... what’s the best way to measure and what measurements do I really need?

rusty nuts - 28/5/19 at 05:58 PM

Measure the outer diameter of the bush and also the wishbone , the width of the wishbone eye, the width of the chassis brackets although they are likely to be wider than the wishbone and bushes assembled the gap can be used to adjust various settings using stainless repair washers . Also measure the dia of the fixing bolts and the width of the assembled arm and bushes to allow you to get the correct length crush tube which ideally would be stainless. Have a search on here for crush tubes and associated issues. Ideal time to set up the castor

MikeBaker - 28/5/19 at 06:19 PM

The chassis brackets all seem to be the same size 42.31mm (however I could be wrong)

And I definitely don’t have time to take all them measurements! So I’m just gonna nip the bolts and nuts up until there is no play and the wishbones still move.

rusty nuts - 28/5/19 at 07:11 PM

If the bolts are all loose it’s possible the original builder didn’t tighten them to the correct torque as in the link I posted due to the well known crush tube issue

MikeBaker - 28/5/19 at 07:59 PM

Quite possibly!

Although I’m quite surprised there are no actual specific sizes out there considering the known issue?

I may have made them a little too tight, but it’s to get it through the MOT and I can faff with it over winter as I want to powder coat the wishbones a diff colour.

MikeBaker - 28/5/19 at 08:30 PM

quote:

Five seconds on goggle

I can’t seem to find the Luego Viento listed?

rusty nuts - 28/5/19 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeBaker
quote:

Five seconds on goggle

I can’t seem to find the Luego Viento listed?

That’s why you need to measure the ones you have.

MikeBaker - 28/5/19 at 09:41 PM

Ahhhh I must have misinterpreted what you actually meant.