Board logo

SVA Fail Chadderton
John.Taylor - 21/4/09 at 11:49 AM

Failed SVA at Chadderton yesterday.

Tester was brilliant given that it was nowhere near ready to pass - I only booked it to get the 6-month extension. Unfortunately it dropped onto 3 cylinders then cut out during the emmissions test and would turn over but not restart. Despite the tester giving me a good 20 minutes to get it going again, I couldn't fix it so I got an incomplete.

Out in the car park a couple of mechanics waiting for VIC tests came and had a look to see if they could get it running - 2.0i Pinto

They checked the timing (spot on), took the hose off the fuel rail resulting in a high pressure petrol jetwash of the carpark (OK), checked the spark jump across a screwdriver to manifold (OK), took plugs out (OK), took oil cap off to see cam turning (OK - has been known to snap off pully apparently), checked all earths and plugs then gave up. They were mistified and told me to get it plugged into the 5-pin diagnostic port and see what the ECU says.

The good news is after 3-years of building I got to drive it from Chorley to Chadderton and it was amazing. Came back on a low loader curtesy of Footman James insurance who were brilliant considering I had only taken out the poilcy two days before having been hapy with their quote of £201/annum fully comp for 1500 miles.

Mr Whippy - 21/4/09 at 11:56 AM

oh well, good work anyway on so little fail points and at least you know now where you stand to get it to pass

given the diameter of the pintos cam I can't see it ever snapping tbh and I thrash mine

nick205 - 21/4/09 at 11:57 AM

Sounds like a good day out then and now you have some breathing space to finish the build too.

Amazing how interested and helpful people are around these little cars

welderman - 21/4/09 at 12:04 PM

Nice one mate, well atleast you will have the 6 month extension, soon there will be a few more kit cars in out area, trailered a mates indy there last week, it failed also, but was hoping for the same extension too, but with his, yours and my fury we can have a few good days out i hope.

Dangle_kt - 21/4/09 at 12:31 PM

That is a shame mate but at least you got what you wanted.

I'm there in a few days! What was the guy called?

welderman - 21/4/09 at 12:37 PM

gerald

John.Taylor - 21/4/09 at 01:22 PM

I had forgotten his name within 5 minutes of him telling me. I'm bad with names but my brain was also tired as I had been in the garage solidly from 8am Saturday morning through till Monday morning with just a 3.5 hour cat nap in the early hours of Sunday morning.

I was bolting in seats and harnesses at 6:30am on the test day!

The chap who did my test was in his late 40's with short greying hair and i think he had a bit of a moustache.

adithorp - 21/4/09 at 03:03 PM

Sounds like John Hine from the description. He did my retest last year and was very helpfull.

adrian

ps. Welderman, have you got your plates yet?

welderman - 21/4/09 at 03:42 PM

John did my retest and sounds like it was him, nice fella.

Adrian, ive got my DVLA inspection on Tue morning at Chadderton.

Dangle you question was,=What was the guy called?= guy called gerald(voodo ray)., maybe too old for your time, lol.

Joe

John.Taylor - 21/4/09 at 04:09 PM

I was sure he was called John but didn't want to say in case I was wrong.