Board logo

Exhaust trim and bracket help
AdrianH - 22/6/09 at 10:23 PM

getting things togeher after fitting side panels and wondering if the bracket I use to tighten downpipe to silencer pipe is IVA OK, if anyone has used this style? If not suitable what should I look for?

Also where the exhaust goes through the side panel I would like to trim some way, I have heard of splitting copper tube. I have tried it with 8mm tubing but I can't do it cleanly is there any heat resistent edge trim that I could use anyone can think of?

TIA

AdrianImage deleted by owner

AdrianH - 22/6/09 at 10:27 PM

Here is a shot where the exhaust goes through panel, it still has plastic coating on it yet. The exhaust is heat rapped but is also a flexible pipe so expect it will shift a bit.

AdrianImage deleted by owner

robinj66 - 22/6/09 at 10:31 PM

For the SVA I had to wrap my exhaust beackets which are similar to yours. The edges were deemed to be sharp

I used normal U-trim to edge the exit hole in the body.

austin man - 22/6/09 at 10:48 PM

try and put the bracket in a place where the tester cant get his sphere. If he cant check it he cant fail it I believe. A lot of people use alluminium around the exhaust to trim it up you do need to radius the edge though so use thick stuff. Silicone hose can be used as that is heat resistant

AdrianH - 23/6/09 at 05:11 PM

Cheers all for the replies, I will do a bit more searching and looking at pictures to see what others have used.

Might also have another go at splitting copper tube.

Adrian

AdrianH - 23/6/09 at 11:28 PM

Last update on this. I had another go with small air grinder and very thin disk, must still be better way to cut copper pipe.

Anyway this was result.Image deleted by owner

cjtheman - 25/6/09 at 07:28 AM

hi
just used u trim from woolies over 100 miles and no signs of melting
cheers
colin