Board logo

Side repeaters
andrew-theasby - 4/5/04 at 12:03 AM

Hi, just got my side repeaters this weekend through the post. The place i ordered them from said they were ok for the SVA but now theyve arrived i cant see any E-mark or anything else the book asks for on them. They are clear plastic but have 3 orange led's in them. I really like the look of them and want to use the holes for air vents, but obviously dont want to fail on them. What do you think i should do?? Would they have to work if they were fitted or could i possibly fit an aproved pair aswell without drilling any holes so i could take them off after? They'd probably see round that tho

[Edited on 4/5/04 by andrew-theasby] Rescued attachment Side repeaters.jpg
Rescued attachment Side repeaters.jpg

andrew-theasby - 4/5/04 at 12:11 AM

doh, put the picture on wrongly first time:-

spunky - 4/5/04 at 08:10 AM

Hi Andrew,
I cant speak with any authority as I'm still waiting for SVA date.
I have similar repeaters, ie white lens orange LED's with no E-mark.
I couldn't find any specific requirement for repeaters and therefore fitted them. It will be a lousy examiner that failed a car on a side repeater...

John

David Jenkins - 4/5/04 at 08:14 AM

You should get away with it, as long as they are as bright as a conventional repeater, and visible from all the usual angles.

Allegedly.

David

Peteff - 4/5/04 at 09:09 AM

From the draft SVA document :-
NOTE 7: Side repeater indicators mounted on
a “cycle wing” that move with steering movement,
are required to meet the angles of visibility
requirement with the steering in the straight
ahead position only. Where fitted to a “Lotus
seven” style vehicle (having a proportionally
decreasing body width towards the front) a side
repeater does not need to meet the angles of
visibility requirements providing it is clearly visible
to other road users to the rear of the nearside and
offside of the vehicle as appropriate.
I assume if they are tested it presumes they will be fitted. As long as they are compliant the 'E' mark isn't absolutely necessary.

Chris_R - 4/5/04 at 10:31 AM

Not sure about the SVA side of things, but you can get E-marked self adhesive repeaters from speeding.co.uk.

paulbeyer - 4/5/04 at 07:29 PM

Prices are a bit steep. I bought the same universal side repeaters from Premier Wiring at Stoneleigh for £8.99 (including the bulbs).

andrew-theasby - 5/5/04 at 05:50 PM

Thanks, thats what i was hoping to hear. Peteff, where abouts did you get that quote from? I havent found anything like that in my sva manual is there an updated one?

wicket - 5/5/04 at 06:35 PM

Its in section 9.1 page 3 in the latest (6th) amendment, it was also in the recent draft.

Hellfire - 10/5/04 at 04:58 PM

When we called our nearest SVA Centre regarding our headlights, the nice chap on the other end of the phone merely said "as long as they 'resemble' the function they are intended for and also comply to rules it's deemed a pass. Therefore, I would read into that as a pass. In the manual is doesn't state all lights need to be 'E' marked. (IIRC)

andrew-theasby - 10/5/04 at 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info, sounds fairly good to me