Board logo

DVLA inspection tomorrow - Should i change my VIN?
parkiboy - 15/8/12 at 08:17 PM

Hi, quick question i have my DVLA inspection tomorrow and wondering if i should change my VIN beforehand.

MK issued me with a 17 digit vin starting with MKINDYR2012, which is whats stamped in but when i got my IVA cert it said MK1NDYR2012 as they apparently cant use the letter I.

I do have chassis stamps so can change the I to a 1 however getting it exactly on top of the other may be a bit harder so dont want to make a mess of it.

Also the Sticker they printed up says MKINDYR2012 (but i dont think this sticker is a requirement?)

Davegtst - 15/8/12 at 08:35 PM

The sticker is the chassis plate so it is needed. Unless you can get a new chasis plate made up and fitted before the inspection I think you are probably best to leave it as it is and hope they don't notice. I changed the I that was stamped into the chasis into a 1 and had a new plate made up to match. Personally I would have tried to sort this before the inspection just incase. You can get a plate made up quite quickly and cheaply by a local trophy shop mine cost about £17.

parkiboy - 15/8/12 at 08:39 PM

I thought you had a plate welded in instead of a chassis stamp? Mine doesn't have a plate it is stamped into the chassis instead

Davegtst - 15/8/12 at 08:43 PM

On mine I have a strip of steel with the vin number stamped in then welded to the lower o/s chassis just infront of the brake master cylinder. I also have the plate mounted on the scuttle panel. I got rid of the sticker and got the plate made up as the vin number was wrong.

jrrsparky - 15/8/12 at 08:45 PM

We had our MK IVAd at nottingham last year with the MK sticker on the bulkhead ( as required for IVA ) and an I stamped in the chassis plate with no problems but the documents all have a 1 on insted of the I.

parkiboy - 15/8/12 at 08:49 PM

I'll just have to take my chances I was only told yesterday I might have an issue. I figured it would be fine as mk gave me it and I figure they would know there stuff! Why do they insist on giving people MKINDY? Bein in the car building business Surely they should know that it is not allowed?

parkiboy - 15/8/12 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jrrsparky
We had our MK IVAd at nottingham last year with the MK sticker on the bulkhead ( as required for IVA ) and an I stamped in the chassis plate with no problems but the documents all have a 1 on insted of the I.

They didn't question it on the iva but I can see dvla being arseholes about it

paulf - 15/8/12 at 09:52 PM

Stamp it on a bit of plate and then sika flex it over the top of the original and give it a coat of paint, it will look as if its a permanent fixture.
Paul

adithorp - 16/8/12 at 07:25 AM

The chassis number on my Furyhas an "I" in it as given tome by the (then) supplier.

It was raised as a possible problem for me with DVLA by the SVA inspector but hadn't been mentioned by DVLA when they got the paper work. At DVLA inspection it was spotted and I was passed but told, "but change that to an 1". Think it's still an "I" as I can't remember ever getting around to it. Guess it'll just depend on your inspector.

parkiboy - 16/8/12 at 12:58 PM

I changed it to a 1 on the chassis but left it as an I on the sticker and nothing got said, went through fine.

The inspector was spot on to be fair, even shared my views on the inspection being a waste of time if you have he an iva, I was as unhappy with te dvla wasting my time as I was!

The dvla are prats though, he said he will got it processed this afternoon and sent out today so I asked If I could pick it up this evening instead, that's no longer allowed in order to try keep their queue times down!

Davegtst - 16/8/12 at 02:41 PM

Good news

parkiboy - 16/8/12 at 06:43 PM

It sure was! It's just a waiting game yet again now however he was confident I would have it tomorrow or Saturday!

Fingers crossed!