Board logo

Wing stays too close to calliper union?
leon51274 - 8/1/13 at 10:49 AM

Morning all

I'd like some advice please. My wing stays are extremely close to my calliper unions and I'm thinking this will be a no no when it comes down to IVA! Am i right in thinking this?

Description
Description

Cheers
Leon

rodgling - 8/1/13 at 11:43 AM

Can you use a different hose end with a bend in it (the bit that screws into the caliper)?

Dave Bailey - 8/1/13 at 11:47 AM

I don't know about the IVA but I would be concerned enough to do something about it anyway... My cycle wings do vibrate and flex a little and maybe yours would do the same.....

Dave B

leon51274 - 8/1/13 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Can you use a different hose end with a bend in it (the bit that screws into the caliper)?

This had been discussed but i was still a little unsure as to whether this would still leave them too close for comfort.

leon51274 - 8/1/13 at 11:54 AM

The thought had also crossed my mind as to whether i could switch them around ie, offside and nearside but i know that the wings have to sit within a certain position in relation to the wheel. I suppose there will be no harm in trying this out of curiosity?

big_wasa - 8/1/13 at 12:33 PM

I've copied the corina design and used a short hard line from the caliper to a bracket on the caliper bolts except mine is on the actual wing stay. This also means there is less movement of the flexi when steering as it's nearer the pivot point of the axle.

adithorp - 8/1/13 at 01:23 PM

Don't forget that as the pads wear the caliper will slide inwards. The amount it moves is the same as the thickness lost off the outer pad, so up to 10mm-ish. Will you still have space then?

leon51274 - 8/1/13 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Don't forget that as the pads wear the caliper will slide inwards. The amount it moves is the same as the thickness lost off the outer pad, so up to 10mm-ish. Will you still have space then?

Very little to be honest, as it stands at the moment i've got one stay that is virtually touching the union and one that is about 2mm off from touching. The other thing to bear in mind is when braking the caliper actually moves out towards the stay making things worse. I'm just in the process of removing them so that i can switch them around to see what they look like but I'm doubtful that this will sort the problem.

The main reason why I've picked up on this is because i came across a thread where a guy had passed iva but he had to do emergency work at the test centre because the iva chap wasn't happy with the stays being so close and they were 10mm away! He was only happy when they had managed to get 20mm clearance!

big_wasa - 8/1/13 at 05:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I've copied the corina design and used a short hard line from the caliper to a bracket on the caliper bolts except mine is on the actual wing stay. This also means there is less movement of the flexi when steering as it's nearer the pivot point of the axle.

I assumed you had a book car but now see it says roadster. So my idea is of no use

wicket - 9/1/13 at 02:49 PM

I made a bracket secured by one of the wing stay bolts to the hub, that carried the outer end of the flexible hose, with a short length of solid brake pipe from the caliper to the flexible, see my Photo Archive/Brakes.

leon51274 - 9/1/13 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wicket
I made a bracket secured by one of the wing stay bolts to the hub, that carried the outer end of the flexible hose, with a short length of solid brake pipe from the caliper to the flexible, see my Photo Archive/Brakes.

Good idea that one mate, appreciate the heads up

cheers

adrianreeve - 9/1/13 at 04:43 PM

Those black wheels look nice Leon!

leon51274 - 9/1/13 at 04:53 PM

Cheers Adrian

I'll have to send you an updated pic. Its almost ready for iva now mate. I've changed a few bits and bobs but nothing major. I was going to get in touch soon with a couple a questions but I'll stick them on an email for you.

Cheers
Leon