Board logo

First MOT after registration
stevegough - 3/5/13 at 04:05 PM

Just been asked a question by another forum member (monkeyarms) about when the first MOT would be due.

I have told him it is 3 years after registration, but he is, understandably, sceptical. Can you guys re-assure him, please?

wicket - 3/5/13 at 04:22 PM

My was definitely 3 years after reg, confirmed in writing by local DVLA office. I have age related reg

ReMan - 3/5/13 at 04:52 PM

If managed correctly by the DVLA it should be 3 years

Daddylonglegs - 3/5/13 at 05:07 PM

3 years from the date of new registration:

"The legislation supporting this is Section 47( 2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988"

Quoted from my email i received from the DVLA when I registered my Locost last year.

HTH

steve8274 - 3/5/13 at 05:41 PM

Just to be different, it appears mine needs one after first year. Passed iva last year on age related plate. Went to get tax and they say I need mot. Obviously tried elsewhere and online and still require mot.
Went to Preston Dvla and they said it requires a mot. Iva as a mot expires after first year. Tried to explain the 3 years but they weren't budging.
So it looks like I need mot.
Steve

whitstella - 3/5/13 at 05:48 PM

i was the same as steve8274 needed an mot before dvla would look at taxing car (age related plate)

steve

40inches - 3/5/13 at 06:53 PM

Does it say on the V5c when 1st MOT is due?

snapper - 3/5/13 at 06:54 PM

Age related
3 years to first mot
There have been a few occasions where local Dvla office has asked for mot after first year however for the great majority its 3 years to
First mot

steve8274 - 3/5/13 at 07:40 PM

Doesn't say on my v5c when mot due.
So how to I extend my mot requirement to 3 years? Even the Dvla local office say its required after a year. how do people get 3 years?

emlyno - 3/5/13 at 07:52 PM

On my first renewal I had no probs. On the second I tried to renew on line but couldn't because it stated I needed an MOT.
Tried the Post Office but again, an MOT needed. Went up to the local DVLA and taxed it with no problems. They said that the computers some times throw up these issues.

Daddylonglegs - 3/5/13 at 08:13 PM

If anyone wants a copy of the email I got then U2 me. It does state for a 'Q' plate though, but the chap did say it makes no difference as long as it's a new registration.

Of course the problem now is that the local offices are closing so it's going to be even harder!!

steve8274 - 3/5/13 at 08:19 PM

For those people who are getting 3 years, what date of registration do you have?
Mine is showing as original date of donor car. Ie 1992 for j plate.
If this is the cause for my 1 year mot requirement, can it be changed? Says date of iva on front
Steve

Bluemoon - 3/5/13 at 08:29 PM

Hume mine was on j plate as donner no mot was needed for first 3years... Just taxed online as normal.. Sounds like Dvla stuffed up details on the computer.... They should be able to fix it...

DavidM - 3/5/13 at 08:32 PM

Go to your local DVLA office. If they wont tax it fill out form V112 declaring you don't need an MOT. Present this instead of an MOT certificate and they'll tax it. If all else fails contact to Swansea. Mine was 3 years on an age related plate but I usually had to make a fuss.

David

steve8274 - 3/5/13 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DavidM
Go to your local DVLA office. If they wont tax it fill out form V112 declaring you don't need an MOT. Present this instead of an MOT certificate and they'll tax it. If all else fails contact to Swansea. Mine was 3 years on an age related plate but I usually had to make a fuss.

David

Went to local tax office and they said I needed mot. If I fill out the form, do you have to give a reason? What reason? What would happen in worst case scenario and I needed use of my insurance. Could they say it is void cos I have no mot or can police pull you?
Steve

DavidM - 3/5/13 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
quote:

David

Went to local tax office and they said I needed mot. If I fill out the form, do you have to give a reason? What reason? What would happen in worst case scenario and I needed use of my insurance. Could they say it is void cos I have no mot or can police pull you?
Steve

There is a list of reasons on the form. One of those is "vehicle less than three years old". Unfortunately some DVLA staff don't deal with kit cars very often, so sometimes you have to stick to your guns until you get your way. There shouldn't be any problem legally or with your insurance. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/vehicles-exempt-from-mot

David

whitstella - 4/5/13 at 07:53 AM

I can not see much of a problem ,even if it needs an not from the first year at least its getting checked over by another set of eyes which can not be a bad thing.

wicket - 4/5/13 at 09:49 PM

Aged related and my V5C says

Note 4B Date of first registration 12/08/1980
Note 4[B.1] Date of first registration in the UK 16/06/2006

I had 3 years before MOT.

steve8274 - 6/5/13 at 05:48 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
quote:

David

Steve

There is a list of reasons on the form. One of those is "vehicle less than three years old". Unfortunately some DVLA staff don't deal with kit cars very often, so sometimes you have to stick to your guns until you get your way. There shouldn't be any problem legally or with your insurance. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/vehicles-exempt-from-mot

David

It appears the form has changed. There is no part on form to say car less than 3 years old.

Whitsella I agree there is no harm in getting it mot'd. Just thought the money for mot could be put to better use. Ie fuel for car