Board logo

DVLA, Tax and MOT
rdodger - 4/3/14 at 06:35 PM

So my IVA certificate says year of manufacture 2013, so no MOT for 3 years.

I can't tax my car online as the DVLA think it needs an MOT

I can't tax the car by phone as the nice lady has it down as manufactured in 1999 (the donor vehicle). So it needs an MOT. The fact it was IVA'd less than a year ago seems irrelevant.

I need to go to the post office and fill in form V112 to declare it doesn't need an MOT (who new?). I can then send my VC5 and copy of the IVA certificate and they may alter it!?

The jumping through hoops never ends!

AndyW - 4/3/14 at 06:50 PM

Mine passed IVA in September 2013 and Im going to tax it end of this month, so no doubt I will have the same, although I didn't use a donor so hopefully they can do it on line, but hey the hoop jumping does seem to come back and haunt us!!

Good luck

40inches - 4/3/14 at 07:08 PM

You can download the form from here.
I have to tax mine at the end of April, but I didn't use a donor, so my V5c year of manufacture and first registration say 2013, so
hopefully it will be ok.

Slimy38 - 4/3/14 at 07:08 PM

I know this might sound bad, but is it not worth just running it through an MOT? Banging your head against the DVLA door just seems to give people a headache rather than making any difference.

pewe - 4/3/14 at 07:13 PM

I had a similar problem after SVA.
My local Post Office used their common-sense and taxed it over the counter.
Worth a try?
Cheers, Pewe10

Ben_Copeland - 4/3/14 at 07:44 PM

Been the same for years, it's not an issue going to post office an taxing it there!

tango man - 4/3/14 at 08:19 PM

just taxed my midi on line. iva in 2013 ,no probs, all new parts no doner,

rdodger - 4/3/14 at 08:48 PM

Thanks for the form. I wonder what code to put?

I will go to the post office tomorrow and see what they say.

Re the MOT. It was only IVA'd in July so there is no way it needs an MOT now.

If the DVLA don't change it on their system I guess I will have to.

emlyno - 4/3/14 at 10:27 PM

I had the same problem, couldn't do it on line or at the Post Office. I sorted it out at the DVLA local office but of course that's out of the question now. Good luck with it.

chrisxr2 - 5/3/14 at 10:43 AM

Post office with the form that says doesn't require an mot is the way to go, i had no problems at all taxing my Haynes roadster that way.

loggyboy - 5/3/14 at 11:34 AM

IIRC You want the old V112 form as that has a section to declare that the car is less than 3 years old. I beleive the new one no longer has this.

loggyboy - 5/3/14 at 11:35 AM

If you need a copy U2U me your email address.

rdodger - 5/3/14 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

I went to the post office. I presented my VC5 and told the nice lady that my car didn't need an MOT but the computer thought it did. Not so much as a twitch and 2 minutes later I had a tax disc.

No talk of forms or anything else.

Have to see if I can be bothered to send my docs off to the DVLA or just get it mot'd next year.