Board logo

Will DIN no. printed on plastic fuel hose be enough?
rcx718 - 10/7/15 at 01:53 PM

I've bought nylon fuel hose, which is printed DIN 73378 which is the standard for automotive fuel use. Is this enough for the IVA test so far as showing that the tube is suitable?

I'm planning on using compression fittings, but cannot find what type of fittings are approved for use with fuel or the above fuel hose?

ianhurley20 - 10/7/15 at 07:23 PM

That sis what I am relying on - I've photographed all the hose I got as one length as some parts are short connect pieces and don't carry all of the number, I can at least show the photo at IVA. I am using spring clips as well, they are the same as the manufacturers used so I don't forsee an issue with them. Fingers crossed

rcx718 - 10/7/15 at 07:26 PM

What are spring clips?

ianhurley20 - 10/7/15 at 10:19 PM

MIKALOR Double Wire Spring Band Type Fuel Hose Clips Silicone Pipe Tube Clamp UK

rcx718 - 11/7/15 at 07:53 AM

Ian, I don't follow how the spring clips are used by themselves as fittings? What method are you using to terminate the ends of your plastic and attach it to the fuel pump, engine, etc?

As far as I've found:

Compression fittings (must use inserts inside the hose!)
Push fittings - but the sellers say these are for pneumatic use, not fluids
Heat and push onto barb - not sure if I trust this.

ianhurley20 - 11/7/15 at 08:03 AM

Sorry - I see we are at crossed purposes here - my fuel pipe has the same DIN marking but is 8mm x 13mm and is made from a similar material with a woven sheath. My main fuel pipes are 8mm copper so all I am using is short lengths to connect the end of the copper to the fuel rail, pump and returns.
My mistake, I read the DIN and assumed we had the same pipe, apologies for misleading.

rcx718 - 11/7/15 at 08:09 AM

Ah, so you're using rubber and copper?

But in terms of IVA I guess the same applies? If there's a standard printed and the standard is for automotive fuel use then ok?

scudderfish - 11/7/15 at 08:28 AM

Don't use the stuff with a woven covering, it can hide damage. I managed to split my hose but the damage was not visible until I'd pulled the covering off.

rcx718 - 11/7/15 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Don't use the stuff with a woven covering, it can hide damage. I managed to split my hose but the damage was not visible until I'd pulled the covering off.

And will get grease soaked and filthy and can't be wiped.

adithorp - 11/7/15 at 10:02 AM

If the pipe is clearly marked with the correct spec then it will pass IVA.

To join it up you'll probably have to use rubber hose either with clips (not worm drive/jubilee) or compression fittings. Either way your really need an insert in the plastic to stop it being crushed.

The Black Flash - 11/7/15 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

To join it up you'll probably have to use rubber hose either with clips (not worm drive/jubilee) or compression fittings. Either way your really need an insert in the plastic to stop it being crushed.

I used jubilees on the final connection to the fuel rail on mine, with no comment at IVA.

adithorp - 11/7/15 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

I used jubilees on the final connection to the fuel rail on mine, with no comment at IVA.

Depends on your tester but plenty fail and for good reason. The problem with jubilee clips is that the radius doesn't change where the worm-drive is and the problem is worse on small diameter pipes. It creates 2 small poorly compressed areas at either end of the drive... where it can leak fine jets of fuel. When used on plastic, like the hose the OP is using or on plastic low pressure fuel filters, they tend to flatten them.

You should use ones like THESE or the spring ones.

rcx718 - 13/7/15 at 09:14 AM

What does the IVA manual say about fittings?
Also will the tester know which standards are acceptable or do we need to present a copy of the standard? Eg is the tube says Din 73378, will tester know this is good or does he need some reference?

adithorp - 13/7/15 at 09:51 AM

For fitting, SVA manual said (don't think it changed for IVA)... "Check fuel system components for leaks, security, SUITABILITY OF DESIGN/CONSTRUCTION, positioning..."

He should know the relevant DIN/BSI standards. Correct markings or supporting documentation is one of the things they check, especially on fuel pipe (tank filler pipe is a common one people have been caught out with). However it isn't beyond the realms of posibility that he doesn't know them off the top of his head, so printing off a copy to take with you could save time.

[Edited on 13/7/15 by adithorp]

carboy0 - 6/3/16 at 10:29 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am looking to source some 8mm ID / 10mm OD plain nylon hose, with DIN or SAE markings. I will be using the quick release barbed connectors, and one shot crimped hose clips for a pro finish.

Sealey Hydraulic Hose Single Ear O-Clip - Ø9.8-11.8mm - Pack of 25 - OCSE911

Its the same stuff used by the majority of modern road car makers.

There's plenty of hose on Ebay but its all from China. Anyone know where I can get some UK made or at least UK sourced hose?

Ideally some red (pressure side) and some black (return side), but black will do if colours not available.

Any advice welcome.