Board logo

beetle based rod
crapguitarist - 11/7/15 at 12:34 PM

hi guys,
hope you can put me on the right track.I have a beetle body kicking about and would like to use it to build a rod.
I have been informed by a builder that my plans for the car may be a non starter as regards the following.
I would like to build a box section chassis to put the beetle body onto.Then running gear front and back to suit and a water cooled engine up front, not a monster but rather a decent 2 litreish unit.
The rather sketchy info I have listened to is that I can do the above but would then have issues with legality if pulled up or indeed at MOT time.Also, I'd have to have new glass all round and it's a fortune and it could end up on a q plate which I don't want. Obviously I don't want to go to the effort of building a vehicle only to find I can't use it road legally.
thanks
crapguitarist:

minitici - 11/7/15 at 12:56 PM

A new chassis would put this into the realms of IVA and all that entails.

DanP - 11/7/15 at 09:28 PM

Have you had a look at the Rorty beetle chassis plans?
http://rorty.net/mid-engine-v8-beetle

I believe there is at least one UK car on VW forums so it must be IVA'able.

I keep coming back to the idea of a rear engined V8 car but I don't think I'm enough of a VW lover to do it, a Cabrio bug though may be enough to convince me though, hmmmmmm....

MikeRJ - 12/7/15 at 09:16 AM

The valuable bit of a beetle is the floorpan, since you can do a body conversion without requiring an IVA. Sadly the opposite isn't true, using a new custom chassis means you require an IVA test to remain legal.

crapguitarist - 13/7/15 at 04:26 AM

thanks for the comments guys, especially the Rorty info.There's food for thought there.
will have a look at IVA info now and see what that entails as if I want to do as I've planned, I need to have a new chassis.

i_froloshki - 3/8/15 at 06:37 PM

Gents,
Does anyone know something about this one???

bi22le - 3/8/15 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by i_froloshki
Gents,

Nope but i chuffing love it!!

It looks a little Donkervoort but i think that's because of the back of the roof

i_froloshki - 3/8/15 at 07:12 PM

I love it too!!! is is a combination of both my favorite cars)) i will have one)) after i sell the DAX that is)))

kj - 3/8/15 at 08:36 PM

You can still get a wilys coupe kit for them. A car is on e bay at the moment.

JC - 3/8/15 at 09:16 PM

*cough* photoshop...
(Other imaging programs are available)

But I like it!

Ivan - 4/8/15 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by i_froloshki
Gents,

How can something so wrong look so right - I love it