Board logo

How much paneling needed around the engine?
rcx718 - 25/9/16 at 03:15 PM

I'm getting on with my 4x4 racer design, it's primarily a race vehicle but I'd like to get it through the IVA test as well. I've been slowly getting through reading the IVA manual though it's taking me so long that with each new page I read I forget a previous page. The chassis builder has been booked in to start work in 6 months time though so I need to get on with reading it ASAP.

One hot question I have is with the panelling. At present it only has a firewall between the cabin and engine bay, and a bonnet. There are still exposed parts as you can see in the CAD screenshot. How much more panelling will I need to pass IVA and which section of the manual has info?

Thanks for help as always!

gremlin1234 - 25/9/16 at 03:50 PM

I think you need a bulkhead between the passenger comp and the fuel tank.
and wheel arches. (referred to as 'wheel guards' in the iva manual s37)

rcx718 - 25/9/16 at 03:58 PM

Yes sorry it will have tyre huggers as mudguards attached direct to the hubs. The wheels will be therefore closed.

[Edited on 25/9/16 by rcx718]

Slimy38 - 25/9/16 at 04:27 PM

I think your main IVA restriction is the sharp edge rule. An exposed engine will not pass the edge test, so you need to make sure that the 100mm test ball they use cannot get close to the engine (or anything else sharp) from any direction.

It doesn't need to be panelled though, anything that restricts access by the ball (and isn't itself sharp) will be ok. Consider the front grill of the MEV Rocket;

No panel in sight, but the ball isn't getting close to the engine.

[Edited on 25/9/16 by Slimy38]

rcx718 - 25/9/16 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think your main IVA restriction is the sharp edge rule. An exposed engine will not pass the edge test, so you need to make sure that the 100mm test ball they use cannot get close to the engine (or anything else sharp) from any direction.

It doesn't need to be panelled though, anything that restricts access by the ball (and isn't itself sharp) will be ok. Consider the front grill of the MEV Rocket;

Thank you. Just to clarify how I will close the wheels, I was going to have huggers made, like you get on motorbikes, but would of course need to cover much more of the tyre to be legal.

coyoteboy - 25/9/16 at 05:17 PM

rcx718 - 25/9/16 at 05:20 PM

YES Exactly like that! Awesome!

I've found a company in Europe who can make the huggers for quite cheap. I am worried about how sturdy the mounts will be. Do you have a photo of how these carbon fibre ones attach to the hubs?

rcx718 - 25/9/16 at 08:03 PM

I've read more of the IVA manual and I will fail two dozen times on the external projections !!! Projections will be tough to pass :/

Other questions:
1. Did I read right that the fuel tank must be approved? So I can't weld up my own tank?
2. With protective steering, will it be enough to use telescopic shafts?
3. Will it pass without bumpers? I.e. if the tyres can make contact with anything the car hits?
4. I have a 1UZ engine bought from eBay. Will Toyota help me prove the engine age for the IVA test?

Slimy38 - 25/9/16 at 09:09 PM

Other questions:
1. Did I read right that the fuel tank must be approved? So I can't weld up my own tank?
I don't know of any approval that needs to be done on a tank (other than it not leaking on test day!). The fuel line requires approval and appropriate markings, is that what you're thinking of?

2. With protective steering, will it be enough to use telescopic shafts?
I believe testers do like to see a change of direction in the steering route, at least 10 degrees I think? Telescopic shafts only deal with the driver hitting the wheel, not the steering rack being pushed into the car.

3. Will it pass without bumpers? I.e. if the tyres can make contact with anything the car hits?
I've never seen a 7-esque car with a bumper, so you should be fine there.

4. I have a 1UZ engine bought from eBay. Will Toyota help me prove the engine age for the IVA test?
Not a clue on that one.

rcx718 - 26/9/16 at 08:26 AM

Aha so for protective steering, the route or the shafts and UJs needs to be such that on impact the steering wheel doesn't go towards the driver? The manual states a 30mph impact can cause no more than something like 130mm movement, which seems easy to achieve to me.

Slimy, I'll re-read the manual later but I think the manual talks about a steering boss (the bit that goes between an aftermarket steering wheel and the OEM shaft) having pre-bent fingers to absorb energy of driver hitting the wheel. I can imagine that a telescopic shaft does shorten in an impact and help stop the steering shafts heading towards the driver.

I'll re-read the section on the fuel tank more carefully and post some of the text here so people can help me interpret it correctly.

So how are people proving the age of their engines to get the correct emissions testing at the IVA test? I will write to Toyota and see if they are willing to help or maybe a main dealer. I remember Suzuki UK were unhelpful when I needed similar information. A Suzuki rep from Suzuki UK phoned me up and explained that they won't provide me any technical data and I must go to a main dealer.

Also, please forgive I've only fast read the IVA manual, but I am starting to read it more properly now. There's the section on calculating the vehicles load capacity, i.e. the gross weight and max axle weights. I am using axles from an Audi Quattro and Fox shock absorbers, so I guess there is no manufacturers figures that apply to my project. So the IVA manual seems to say that in that case they simply take the vehicles kerb weight and add an allowance for the weight of each passenger and then aproportion that across the two axles. Seems very crude? So that's not really a calculation of the safe capacity of the vehicle, it's just limiting how much weight you can put on the car. But I suppose it works on the grounds that the vehicle has been tested at the weight it's been presented at.

Thank you!

Schrodinger - 26/9/16 at 08:50 AM

IIRC the fuel tank approval is for plastic tanks.