Board logo

Steering wheel pad, Yes or No
furryeggs - 27/10/16 at 08:31 PM

This is my attempt at an IVA compliant steering wheel pad, after reading the guide several times and the many posts on here on the subject I'm pretty sure its all ok. I just want to check what you guys think, especially those who have IVA'd.

I have a few more pictures if any one really want to see them, but basically this is what I've done. I've used a piece of ally drilled in 3 places for fixing, this has then had a 4mm rubber pad attached to dampen any edges that might be present. I've then glued a neoprene foam pad onto that for cushioning and wrapped the edges in HD cloth tape to cover seams and edges, a canvas cover/badge will then cover this.

This is my wheel attached to the quick release boss (I know this probably won't pass, I'm just using it for mock up) with 3 of the 6 mounting holes.
[img][/img]

This is the finished pad before fixing. The bolts will go through the 3 remaining fixing holes on the boss and fasten with lock nuts. so the pad is secured along with the wheel and is unable to be removed without undoing bolts.
[img][/img]

The pad is attached and fastened down. There is 3 holes in the pad for access to the bolts when removing the wheel. these will be covered by the cover/ badge.
[img][/img]

This is where my question comes in, is this going to be ok? The cover badge will obviously be removable, will a Velcro backing or similar be ok for this. It'll look a little like this, just not cardboard.
[img][/img]

All in all I think its ok.

-It covers all the metal parts.
-There's no sharp edges.
-Its not removable without tools.
-Its the same if not thicker than the rim padding.
-It doesn't look like a temporary item.

I'm not using the sierra wheel to get around the test and my dash has been designed to be compliant with this wheel so it's what i'm using.

cheers guys

gremlin1234 - 27/10/16 at 09:24 PM

why do you need the badge element, when the fixings look like they are well enough padded without.

furryeggs - 27/10/16 at 09:47 PM

Just to cover the holes really, to make it look a little neater

monkeyarms - 28/10/16 at 06:11 PM

Thiat is exactly how i made my pad and i passed IVA first time. A couple of points -
I used 12mm motorcyle seat foam, it is very firm, covered with black vinyl.
Make sure the foam goes over the edge of the ally back plate.

The IVA guy had a VERY long poke at it with his thumbs and was trying to feel for the plate edges.

Honestly I dont think 4mm thick will be enough.

The Black Flash - 8/11/16 at 09:29 PM

I'm a bit late to the party here, but as long as the edges on the metal bits meet the radius requirements (2.5mm IIRC), you don't need a pad at all. The momo team for example passes fine.

rcx718 - 3/12/16 at 02:39 PM

The pad thing has got me confused as well. The IVA manual says "The centre boss should be padded or recessed below the level of the rim". My Momo is dished so the boss is recessed, so I don't see that a pad would be needed.

40inches - 3/12/16 at 03:24 PM

Has anyone had a fail because of this clause?:

"Note: It is possible to fit an 'aftermarket' steering wheel which has been approved for use on any design of column. These will be referred to as “Separate Technical Units”. If the presenter can provide satisfactory documentary evidence that this is the case, a “Separate Technical Unit” may be acceptable."

dunk3 - 4/12/18 at 04:09 PM

Hi furryeggs did your car pass the iva with the pad on the steering wheel.

furryeggs - 4/12/18 at 07:56 PM

Yes it did. It has only gone and fallen off though silly thing

dunk3 - 4/12/18 at 08:16 PM

Ha ha , don't suppose you still have it.

johnH20 - 4/12/18 at 08:40 PM

Its very easy to regard the IVA steering wheel pad as just one of those things you have to comply with. The truth is its your face/head that is at risk. You only have to look at a few crash test films to see how much belts stretch. Even a full harness is likely to stretch sufficiently in a 'modest' impact to result in head injury. Why do you think steering wheel airbags have been mandated in production cars. The OP's solution looks good with regards to the IVA test but more area would be better. ( In my former life I had to study facial deformation in dummies subject to legal tests - not pretty afterwards! )

furryeggs - 4/12/18 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
Its very easy to regard the IVA steering wheel pad as just one of those things you have to comply with. The truth is its your face/head that is at risk. You only have to look at a few crash test films to see how much belts stretch. Even a full harness is likely to stretch sufficiently in a 'modest' impact to result in head injury. Why do you think steering wheel airbags have been mandated in production cars. The OP's solution looks good with regards to the IVA test but more area would be better. ( In my former life I had to study facial deformation in dummies subject to legal tests - not pretty afterwards! )

it’s going back on now

sdh2903 - 4/12/18 at 09:30 PM

quote:

For my head to get anywhere near my wheel my harnesses would need to stretch about 18 inches. And that's taking into account my head whipping fwd. If I'm in an impact that heavy to do all that a bit of foam is really not going to make my day any better

Mr Whippy - 5/12/18 at 12:24 PM

quote:

Why do you think steering wheel airbags have been mandated in production cars.

iirc airbags were fitted to cars originally because Americans wouldn't put their seatbelts on...

however having personally smacked my head off a steering wheel in a big crash and ended up with a broken nose, cuts and blood all over my face and two black eyes (the steering wheel came off worse) any car with solid hard centre no matter how cool it looks is just dangerous in my book and yeah I had a harness on too

Mr Whippy - 5/12/18 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:

For my head to get anywhere near my wheel my harnesses would need to stretch about 18 inches. And that's taking into account my head whipping fwd. If I'm in an impact that heavy to do all that a bit of foam is really not going to make my day any better

One thing you have to remember is that in big crashes cars tends to get a bit shorter so that 18 inches might very well end up 0 inches or less and lets face it a 7 is not a strong car in a crash against any modern car, basically it's going to be a mangled wreak...so any clearance you think you have don't count on it.

sdh2903 - 5/12/18 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
quote:

One thing you have to remember is that in big crashes cars tends to get a bit shorter so that 18 inches might very well end up 0 inches or less and lets face it a 7 is not a strong car in a crash against any modern car, basically it's going to be a mangled wreak...so any clearance you think you have don't count on it.

And again, if the car is shortened that far then I'm in a state where a piece of foam is hugely irrelevant!

Mr Whippy - 5/12/18 at 01:05 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And again, if the car is shortened that far then I'm in a state where a piece of foam is hugely irrelevant!

Hah! walked away from cars half their length and 5 seaters turned into 2... if your killed by a feature you knew was a risk and chose not to do something about it all you'll get is a Darwin Award if you think a little bit of foam isn't enough fit a big bit of foam easy as that. Don't die a fashion victim.

sdh2903 - 5/12/18 at 02:41 PM

You've walked away from a kit car half it's length after a crash? That's impressive.

Mr Whippy - 6/12/18 at 12:18 PM

quote:
You've walked away from a kit car half it's length after a crash? That's impressive.

Not a kit car in that one, old Ford Orion, waiting in a queue to turn right then rear ended by a car speeding while towing a caravan, front folded up, blasted into oncoming traffic and then hit in the side by a Granada doing about 50mph, hurled right off the carriageway facing the opposite way... my car was utterly demolished. Guy towing was charged with dangerous driving.

The one I broke my nose in was a kit car with a wooden wheel with metal spokes and solid centre, I turned that steering wheel into a banana, somehow, didn't even have sore hands

Had a few other big smashes too, all other peoples fault, honest. Driving is so dangerous.

[Edited on 6/12/18 by Mr Whippy]

CTLeeds - 6/12/18 at 01:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rcx718
The pad thing has got me confused as well. The IVA manual says "The centre boss should be padded or recessed below the level of the rim". My Momo is dished so the boss is recessed, so I don't see that a pad would be needed.

Getting back to the original point. Irrespective of whether I should or shouldn't have a pad to preserve my ugly mug if the centre boss is below the level of the rim do I have to have a pad to pass IVA? My test is next month and it's an added job I could do without if it's not necessary to get it through the test but could be added later.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Mr Whippy - 6/12/18 at 02:57 PM

simple answer would be no if none of the screws or spokes or edges fail the small radius test. Running a file over the spokes can be a simple fix. You should also have no holes in them to trap your fingers which once I amusingly did while driving.

Good luck with the IVA, if you have not already done so open a new post and put loads of pictures of all round the car on it so people can spot issues before the test.

furryeggs - 6/12/18 at 03:04 PM

My tester at nottingham said that he probably would of passed mine without the pad (not all testers are the same as opinions vary... obviously). He said as the centre part is below the padded rim, edges were well radiused and had flushed bolts and the wheel itself has a bit of flex he thiught it was enough not to need the pad. Whether or not he would of actually passed it is unknown as i had the pad fitted. All in all he was happy with it and passed it.

quote]Originally posted by CTLeeds

quote:
Originally posted by rcx718

Getting back to the original point. Irrespective of whether I should or shouldn't have a pad to preserve my ugly mug if the centre boss is below the level of the rim do I have to have a pad to pass IVA? My test is next month and it's an added job I could do without if it's not necessary to get it through the test but could be added later.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

dunk3 - 6/12/18 at 03:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Chris , don't think I Will risk taking it for iva without a pad on it so I will make a pad like yours.

Angel Acevedo - 6/12/18 at 04:03 PM

quote:
quote:

Not a kit car in that one, old Ford Orion, waiting in a queue to turn right then rear ended by a car speeding while towing a caravan, front folded up, blasted into oncoming traffic and then hit in the side by a Granada doing about 50mph, hurled right off the carriageway facing the opposite way... my car was utterly demolished. Guy towing was charged with dangerous driving.

The one I broke my nose in was a kit car with a wooden wheel with metal spokes and solid centre, I turned that steering wheel into a banana, somehow, didn't even have sore hands

Had a few other big smashes too, all other peoples fault, honest. Driving is so dangerous.

[Edited on 6/12/18 by Mr Whippy]

Darn...
You must get a "Limpia" (a chaman cleansing)

You should consider pretty lucky...
Statistically the more accidents you have, the closer you are to serious injury...

CTLeeds - 9/12/18 at 12:08 PM

quote:
simple answer would be no if none of the screws or spokes or edges fail the small radius test. Running a file over the spokes can be a simple fix. You should also have no holes in them to trap your fingers which once I amusingly did while driving.

Good luck with the IVA, if you have not already done so open a new post and put loads of pictures of all round the car on it so people can spot issues before the test.

I'll try and post some photo's for appraisal although I understand from some other members that uploading photos to the site is a bit troublesome of late.

Thanks,

Chris

J666AYP - 9/12/18 at 05:32 PM

Mine will fall off after the IVA. The way I see it is that if my face could hit the wheel I would be dead anyway. Dont know about you lads but my back wont bend to 90° half way up.

Jay

Mr Whippy - 10/12/18 at 01:06 PM

Well you can do a lot of damage to your face and still not die

I knew a guy (worked with his dad) who had his nose removed and face smashed in after striking the metal handle bar mount on his motorbike (open face helmet...), people have shot their whole jaw off and survived. Hoping to be dead and not caring probably isn't the soundest approach to crash safety, although you could keep a suicide tablet in your mouth and bite on it at the last moment

There are a lot of classic, vintage and older cars I just love (Messerschmitt, VW Beetle, Austin 7 to name a few) but can't justify getting one cos basically I know I'd stand no chance whatsoever in a crash in one. I've had enough crashes now to realise that no matter how good I am, some brainless idiot can come out of nowhere and crash right into you.

J666AYP - 10/12/18 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Well you can do a lot of damage to your face and still not die

I knew a guy (worked with his dad) who had his nose removed and face smashed in after striking the metal handle bar mount on his motorbike (open face helmet...), people have shot their whole jaw off and survived. Hoping to be dead and not caring probably isn't the soundest approach to crash safety, although you could keep a suicide tablet in your mouth and bite on it at the last moment

There are a lot of classic, vintage and older cars I just love (Messerschmitt, VW Beetle, Austin 7 to name a few) but can't justify getting one cos basically I know I'd stand no chance whatsoever in a crash in one. I've had enough crashes now to realise that no matter how good I am, some brainless idiot can come out of nowhere and crash right into you.

The way mine is set up I have about 3 foot between my face and the wheel. (thin scuttle and wheel far forward to allow for my strangley long arms). I'm also harnessed in so for my face to hit the wheel the car either needs to fold in half or my back/shoulders need to break and slip through the harness. Either way im dead lol.

J