Board logo

IVA immobliser
wandr - 3/5/17 at 01:41 PM

Hi all
can anyone assist me before I give up the longest build in history!, I keep thinking I am almost ready for IVA and then something else jumps out at me, regarding immobiliser I have one fitted which disables the ignition until you press the remote fob to start, the possible problem is that it is self built and has no certificate although it does all that it needs to do, will this be a problem does anyone think?

Nickp - 3/5/17 at 03:00 PM

You don't have to have an immobiliser for the IVA so can't see why it would have to be certified. Mine has an additional locking switch that isolates the fuel pumps but I wasn't asked as I had a working steering lock / ignition barrel.

loggyboy - 3/5/17 at 03:31 PM

You DO need one form of immobilisation, that can be electronic or mechanical.
If you retained have a steering lock, this combined with a keyed ignitions switch is sufficient.
If you don't have a steering lock then an immobiliser is the easiest way, but it doesnt need to be certified.

CosKev3 - 3/5/17 at 03:39 PM

I thought it had to be a Thatcham approved one?

loggyboy - 3/5/17 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I thought it had to be a Thatcham approved one?

Not since 29/06/09

CosKev3 - 3/5/17 at 04:23 PM

Oh yeah,I had read the alarm part 13B and thought that applied to immobiliser only too!

wandr - 3/5/17 at 08:39 PM

Many thanks all, my steering column does not have its ignition lock so I have a key barrel mounted in the dashboard that's why I fitted the immobiliser but looks as if I will be okay then, I know it is likely to fail first time but the least amount of problems is my aim!

L1berator - 5/5/17 at 09:52 PM

Hi there,

I'm in the same position as wandr - I removed the steering lock so just have a key and will therefore definitely need an immobiliser.

13a rev 3 (page 115) removes the requirement for documentary evidence from 29/06/2009 but then rev 6 from 03/10/2016'says that a new note 1 has been appended.

Note 1 (page 285 paragraph 2) says that documentary evidence - an installation report from a Thatcham or MESF installer is required, if the car is not mass produced.

What's the bit about the test laboratory refer to?

Thanks,

Pete

loggyboy - 5/5/17 at 10:10 PM

Page 285 is in the 'Normal' IVA section which only applies to a few types of vehicles, like commercial imports.

L1berator - 5/5/17 at 10:27 PM

Thank you for clearing that up!

jester - 21/5/17 at 01:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
You DO need one form of immobilisation, that can be electronic or mechanical.
If you retained have a steering lock, this combined with a keyed ignitions switch is sufficient.
If you don't have a steering lock then an immobiliser is the easiest way, but it doesnt need to be certified.

Thats good to no Thanks