Board logo

proposed changes to emissions testing for IVA
craigdiver - 3/2/18 at 06:02 PM

This is concerning...

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/road-vehicles-improving-air-quality-and-safety

https://www.facebook.com/groups/128498247234680/permalink/1601235803294243/

[Edited on 3/2/18 by craigdiver]

David Jenkins - 3/2/18 at 06:20 PM

Not nice - but I sort-of understand what they're saying, and I must admit that I half expected it. They're currently putting huge pressure on manufacturers and car buyers to go for the lowest emission options, but letting kit builders get away with installing ancient engines that get nowhere close to the current standards.

Note that I'm saying this as the owner of a Locost with a 1970's Ford crossflow engine...

craigdiver - 3/2/18 at 06:52 PM

Really, really hope that if this proposal is passed (quite likely) they are fair enough to give us builders part way through their builds a couple of years to get it finished off and through IVA.

Our kitcar builders opinions are being voiced through some of the larger kitcar/sportscar manufacturers such as westfield - will they fight the corner for the complete self-builder (build chassis from scratch) or will they jump at the opportunity to stop self-builds to increase their own sales?

nelmo - 3/2/18 at 07:23 PM

I hate this sort of pointless regulation - is forcing a couple of hundred cars off the road going to save any polar bears?

ian locostzx9rc2 - 3/2/18 at 07:38 PM

I’m not surprised by this they where always going to tighten up the regulations kitcars will still pass this with modern engines I think everyone should remember how lucky we are to be able to build cars in this country!

Christof - 3/2/18 at 07:56 PM

its not clear to me from the wording if this is retrospective in its application - i effing well hope not having recently iva’d/registered a crossflow on dcoes

going forwards id assume old engines and carbs are up against it

craigdiver - 3/2/18 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Christof
its not clear to me from the wording if this is retrospective in its application - i effing well hope not having recently iva’d/registered a crossflow on dcoes

going forwards id assume old engines and carbs are up against it

It is vague and appears to be open to interpretation which is concerning.

snapper - 3/2/18 at 09:47 PM

This a result of the blanket adoption of EU law to align UK law prior to Brexit.

Point 10 below needs to be addressed urgently and I suggest that argument is discussed urgently and not at length or we will simply miss the deadline for response.
One of the big problems with the latest engines is the complexity of the ECU and the built in security systems that require sight of dashboards, antilock brake sensors and a whole lot more that stops us from recycling cars that would just be scrapped.
There is a big conversation to be had and we don’t have much time.

10 Are you content with our proposal to require kit cars to meet the latest MOT standards, removing the current rule where vehicles are tested to MOT standards according to the age of their engine?

The consultation period begins on Friday 2 February 2018 and runs until Friday 2 March 2018. Please ensure that your response reaches us before the closing date. If you would like further copies of this consultation document, it can be found at https:// www.gov.uk/dft#consultations or you can contact us using the details below if you need alternative formats (Braille, audio CD, etc.).

Please send consultation responses to: Robert Lloyd-Smith
Zone 1/33, Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
LONDON SW1P 4DR
Email to: ivs.consult@dft.gsi.gov.uk

craigdiver - 3/2/18 at 10:09 PM

great work snapper,

Is anyone here prepared to draft a letter we could all use as a template to lodge our objections to this?

andyace - 3/2/18 at 11:20 PM

Ok not 100% sure how this effects me but it doesn't sound too good!!!

My build will certainly NOT be IVA'd this year ... I am putting together a 2.0 Pinto for it with ZX9R bike carbs

With the above changes is there any chance of my car passing the IVA emissions test or should I just throw it in the sea now !!!!!!

PorkChop - 3/2/18 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
great work snapper,

Is anyone here prepared to draft a letter we could all use as a template to lodge our objections to this?

What precisely are you objecting to?

The whole document is talking about new IVA tests, so unless there is something I've missed, retrospective application to vehicles that already have an IVA pass doesn't seem valid.

As far as I can tell, if you have a post September 2002 engine, then this proposal makes no difference whatsoever, as you are already required to meet the most stringent MOT standard during IVA.

What I think they're proposing in effect is the removal of the CAT 1 test from the IVA and make passing the BET test (which is the first emissions test you go through) mandatory.

What seems to have been assumed by the DfT in section 4.13 is that for any powertrain that meets at least Euro 1 standards (i.e. August 1992 on), then it can meet the September 2002 MOT standards.

NB: this assumes that the registration date is not in the past. Contrary which has been posted on that FB group, this is not necessarily restricted to brand new 67 / 18 registrations. There are age related and Q plated kits with registration dates that are the same time as their IVA / registration dates.

[Edited on 4/2/18 by PorkChop]

snapper - 4/2/18 at 08:50 AM

The proposal is for your cars emission requirements to not be engine age specific but to match that of the mot requirements at time of registration.
In a nutshell you’ll need a catalytic convertor, fuel injection and a very well setup ECU with emissions in mind.

craigdiver - 4/2/18 at 09:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
quote:
great work snapper,

What precisely are you objecting to?

I would be objecting to its immediate implementation if it is passed. Your summary of the proposed changes is excellent (thank you) and I shouldn’t have too many issues with this (year 2000 BMW engine with cat), however, many other builders are mid-way through their builds using engine setups that are unlikely to pass these stringent emissions tests. If it is passed I would be wanting a few years before the new emissions limits come into force.

SJ - 4/2/18 at 09:11 AM

It reads like this will apply to all kit cars, whether registered already or not. I hope not but if so, in my case that would mean meeting 2006 MOT standards, not 1991.

It will put a lot of cars off the road if this is the case.

PorkChop - 4/2/18 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
It reads like this will apply to all kit cars, whether registered already or not. I hope not but if so, in my case that would mean meeting 2006 MOT standards, not 1991.

I honestly don't think this is the case. The proposals talk about vehicles undergoing IVA.

PorkChop - 4/2/18 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
In a nutshell you’ll need a catalytic convertor, fuel injection and a very well setup ECU with emissions in mind.

It is more than just this - even if you have a post August 1995 to pre September 2002 engine (and hence most likely have a catalyst and EFi fitted already), your targets also change with this proposal.

MattD - 4/2/18 at 11:43 AM

Next step sealed Ecus & registered tuners. Mot pass map & circuit/track maps.

A full section in that doc about penalties for using emissions "defeat devices" e.g. VW/Audi ecu mods, but presume also the prolific use of decat pipes & welded up dpfs.

And if there is any added requirement for meeting EU4/5/6 standards cars might be required to have OBD ports & thus CANBus looms, etc..

[Edited on 4/2/18 by MattD]

snapper - 4/2/18 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ

No it does not say that FFS

It will apply to vehicles at registration after IVA

Both my kit cars have particular emissions requirements on their V5’s which stand and will continue to

Please please read the section properly

snapper - 4/2/18 at 01:09 PM

LETS PUT SOME PETSOECTIVE ON THIS

This is a consultation document
We have the opportunity to comment
It is a proposal and with any change in motoring Law is not retrospective in the same way that emissions requirement is not retrospective for older cars

tims31 - 4/2/18 at 03:00 PM

Personally for me at the moment this isn't a problem as mine is registered and running the standard Ford ECU with a CAT but obviously those that are in the process of building with an older engine this is a concern.

Would a zetec running say an Omex/Emerald ECU and a CAT meet the emission standards easily enough or would even that struggle?

I guess most cars running a carb would struggle.

jps - 4/2/18 at 03:55 PM

I can see the point of the change, but will be writing with the following objections/comment. Of course I am entirely motivated by the fact that I don't want this to come in before I get my car finished - as I am fully intending to use a 1985 Ford Pinto engine running carbs, which I assume won't meet modern emission standards. But, incase, I have decided to try and get my car to IVA as soon as possible now!!!

1 - At best a change like this should have a reasonable lead time - say 24 months - because many people build kit cars over a reasonably long period of time - and many will have begun such projects expecting to use an engine which, under the new rules will not be allowable.
2- The actual impact from an environmental point of view of implementing this change will be minimal. Of the relatively small number of kit cars which are being built and used on the road, many already have engine which can meet modern emissions standards.
3 - Once registered many kit cars are used for a relatively small amount of miles each year (evidenced by the fact that many kit cars are insured on limited mileage policies), and therefore even those with engines tested to older standards will make little environmental impact in real terms.
4- If it is deemed necessary to implement this change, a reasonably long lead time to implementation should be considered acceptable because of 2) and 3) above.

Does this proposed change impact at all on the use of bike engines, especially on Morgan-like trike builds? I'd like to build one of those next...

andyace - 4/2/18 at 04:33 PM

I agree with the above ... I too am in the middle of a Pinto build ... would cost me a fortune to switch now !!!!

a 24 month grace period sounds fair ... would also give me the kick up the arse to get it finished :-)

ettore bugatti - 4/2/18 at 04:42 PM

Does the proposal means Euro6 or later emission? Or do they just want post '92 engines to be used in future IVA submissions?

CCK Kempten managed to get a Zetec Blacktop to Euro6 for German legistations, but I recon that it wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

Surely some ex-VAG engineers are willing to offer some support if all this go through?

PorkChop - 4/2/18 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Does the proposal means Euro6 or later emission? Or do they just want post '92 engines to be used in future IVA submissions?

No, it does not; it tells you this in section 4.10.

You can fit any engine if you can get it to meet the limits.

gremlin1234 - 4/2/18 at 06:21 PM

quote:
quote:

as far as I can tell the proposed limits will be the current MOT limits (and after 20 May '18 mot changes too)
quote:

To pass the Basic Emissions Test, the following requirements must be met:
Fast idle test (2500 - 3000rpm):
CO <= 0.2%;
HC <= 200ppm;
Lambda between 0.97 and 1.03.
Idle test (450 - 1500rpm):
CO <= 0.3%.

link for Mays MOT changes
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671818/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-20 18-draft.pdf

edit: make link work, and readablity

[Edited on 4/2/18 by gremlin1234]

JC - 4/2/18 at 07:04 PM

I have commented saying pretty much the same - I suggest everyone does the same. I also pointed out that we are 'recycling' engines that had they been left in the donor vehicle, would be required t meet a lower standard.

I'm not sure whether my 1.25 Zetec Se (1995) will pass - I have deleted the oil breather recirculation gubbins....

PorkChop - 4/2/18 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
quote:

as far as I can tell the proposed limits will be the current MOT limits (and after 20 May '18 mot changes too)

Which is what has already been said.

Unless there is something I've missed, a change in the emissions limits is not part of the proposed MOT changes, so why are you bringing it up?

gremlin1234 - 4/2/18 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Unless there is something I've missed, a change in the emissions limits is not part of the proposed MOT changes, so why are you bringing it up?
because its important to know that its not changing. and what the limits will actually be.

PorkChop - 4/2/18 at 07:56 PM

quote:
quote:
because its important to know that its not changing. and what the limits will actually be.

I agree that it's important to know, that is not what you said nor insinuated in your previous post.

gremlin1234 - 4/2/18 at 08:46 PM

apologies, I might have been clearer had I written:

...current MOT limits (and these don't change with the 20 May 2018 updates )
rather than
...current MOT limits (and after 20 May '18 mot changes too)

mikeb - 4/2/18 at 08:54 PM

Assuming this goes through, when would it be applied. I’m nearly ready for IVA on carbs

jps - 5/2/18 at 06:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
Assuming this goes through, when would it be applied. I’m nearly ready for IVA on carbs

The consultation doc is not clear on when the kit car element comes in. But May 18 is referred to on one of the links Craig provided.

mikeb - 5/2/18 at 09:56 AM

IVA paperwork going in this week!

gremlin1234 - 5/2/18 at 11:05 AM

page 15 secn 4.6

quote:

4.6 We are proposing to apply the new WLTP cycle for vehicles approved via IVA
with effect for vehicles whose manufacture is completed on or after 1 July 2018.
This earlier (than NSSTA) date for IVA is to encourage manufacturers to
transition to the new cycle as soon as possible.

craigdiver - 5/2/18 at 11:40 AM

quote:
page 15 secn 4.6
quote:

with effect for vehicles whose manufacture is completed on or after 1 July 2018.

So if I IVA my haynes roadster with BMW (year 2000) euro 3 engine after this date it will fail on emissions?

jps - 5/2/18 at 01:03 PM

quote:
page 15 secn 4.6
quote:

But 4.10 starts by saying that "4.10 Kit cars and reconstructed classic cars undergoing IVA will not be required to meet WLTP". So it is not clear that the date of 1 July 2018 applies to the proposed change for kits as they won't have to meet WLTP - and 4.6 is about WLTP applying to vehilces approved via IVA....

JonBowden - 5/2/18 at 01:05 PM

It seems to me that there are two key issues for us.

Point 1
If we are forced to use the latest emissions standards in force at the time of IVA, then this may be very difficult.
It will probably force us to use new or nearly new engines.
Imagine a situation where one of us starts to build a car using a nearly new engine that meets current standards. Three years later, the car is ready for IVA but by that time, the standards may well have moved on.
I would suggest that ideally, there should be no change and that the emissions standards appropriate to the engine should be applied. Failing that, enforcing an older standard would allow us to have at least a chance of getting hold of suitable engines.
we shouldn't be required to comply with the latest standards - that seems impractical.

Point 2
The short implementation timescale would be very unfair.
I would suggest a MINIMUM of 2 years for a significant change along these lines.

craigdiver - 5/2/18 at 01:22 PM

This forum has 13,000+ registered members, should we submit a group response?

I think as other have said;

a) Give us time to finish our current builds - at least 24 months.
b) ????
c).......

Tinks1 - 5/2/18 at 01:29 PM

Now i'm confused ...... I have an MK Indy using a 1983 Ford Pinto, which was SVA'd and registered in 2009. Therefore under the new MOT will I have to pass the emissions criteria for 2009?

coyoteboy - 5/2/18 at 01:31 PM

They'll not give any consideration to cars currently being built - anyone could claim that and get away for the next 2 years, and they don't have time to assess each on merit.

I think we need to not knee-jerk at this, however I think you not only need a modern engine, but most of the emissions ancillaries and control electronics, which makes it borderline impossible in this kind of vehicle. If the IVA updates with current MOT requirements, what we have today as a pass criteria (isn't THAT hard to hit) may become really hard.

At what stage do you start needing charcoal canisters, full evap recirc systems, OEM-level tuning, cats with pre and post wideband etc..

They've recently started the 40 year rolling MOT exemption due to the small number of cars and high level of enthusiast care - this flies in the face of that logic.

I'm in two minds.

[Edited on 5/2/18 by coyoteboy]

JonBowden - 5/2/18 at 01:49 PM

It's not consideration to cars being built, it's a straightforward delay of at least two years that's needed.
It is not reasonable to apply such a change with short notice (5 months is very short notice).

I also agree, requiring compliance with the moving target of current MOT standards is getting towards impossible.
We should be requesting either sticking with current engine based standards or require compliance with older standards.

theduck - 5/2/18 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyace
I agree with the above ... I too am in the middle of a Pinto build ... would cost me a fortune to switch now !!!!

a 24 month grace period sounds fair ... would also give me the kick up the arse to get it finished :-)

Have you got that motor in yet?!

jps - 5/2/18 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
quote:

I don't know about Andy - but I put in 3 hours on the build last night as a consequence of this, will be looking to work on the car every week day now if I can - and have negotiated with her-indoors to have 'until midday on a Sunday' every weekend - so i'll be putting in some 4am Sunday starts until it is done now! Any bets on how quickly I can get mine finished??!!

joneh - 5/2/18 at 06:37 PM

Think I'll hold off spending £200 on bearings, rod bolts, rings and a timing chain for my xflow then. Plenty of other jobs to do in the meantime.

Hopefully they'll give some notice as I've already spent 100s on this engine...

andyace - 5/2/18 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
quote:

Lol .... the motor is in bits !! If anything this whole thing has speeded the build up and I too have been in the garage the last few nights, you may have to start doing a video of my build, i'm sure between us we can put it together in a few weeks :-)

theduck - 5/2/18 at 07:51 PM

You know where I am if you need me!

obfripper - 5/2/18 at 08:44 PM

These rules will not be retrospective, however there is one change to the emissions requirements in regard to the draft mot manual as below;
Vehicles first used before 1 September 2002 fitted with a different engine must be tested to the requirements of whichever is older, the engine or the vehicle. For example; a 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), must be tested to 1991 standards for emission purposes. The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2002 fitted with a different engine must to tested to the requirements relating to the age of the vehicle.
This second paragraph indicates that an engine change in a 01/09/2002> vehicle will fall under different rules to present.

With a Q plate or where the emissions are stated on the V5 this isn't a major problem, but an engine swap or original non cat engine without the preceeding criteria it will default to a full cat test requirement.

I have emailed the DVSA regarding the lack of emission limits being present on a proportion of V5 logbooks, and whether it is feasable to formally accept the MAC certificate type code as proof of emissions limits for a vehicle and state this in the mot manual (at present it is only a draft and changes can be made).
This would simplify things for those who have incomplete V5 details, as the DVLA are slower than treacle in dealing with these things.

Dave

PorkChop - 5/2/18 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
Point 1
If we are forced to use the latest emissions standards in force at the time of IVA, then this may be very difficult.
It will probably force us to use new or nearly new engines.
Imagine a situation where one of us starts to build a car using a nearly new engine that meets current standards. Three years later, the car is ready for IVA but by that time, the standards may well have moved on.
I would suggest that ideally, there should be no change and that the emissions standards appropriate to the engine should be applied. Failing that, enforcing an older standard would allow us to have at least a chance of getting hold of suitable engines.
we shouldn't be required to comply with the latest standards - that seems impractical.

No it will not - did you read the proposal? Section 4.13 talks about Euro 1 engines being used, about which is a point I made in my first post on this thread.

The most stringent MOT limits have not changed since 2002, and are not going to change in the near future.

I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit and people are getting confused; the people that really need to worry about this is those fitting 80s or earlier engines. As I said earlier, the DfT seems to have made the assumption that if you have a Euro 1 or later engine, then you have the hardware to meet the 2002 MOT limits. This is an assumption I can understand, a big enough cat with enough precious metal, enough temperature and not running rich should be enough to oxidise enough CO and HC to meet the limits.

To put it in perspective, I have a very early, pre Euro 1 MX5 engine (which does have a cat and EFi). I'm not overly concerned about the proposals, it's just the exhaust line will need a bit of thought.

I would suggest that if anyone wants to feedback on the proposal, they do it individually. If there is a common thread to the feedback, then a group response would mean that it will only come up once in the DfT's analysis.

JC - 6/2/18 at 07:18 AM

I think the confusion is over the limits....

Cars undergoing IVA will have to meet the current MOT emissions NOT production emissions.

At the moment, it ‘shouldn’t’ cause issues for any car with fuel injection, an ECU and a CAT........it’s mainly those who have not yet passed IVA who are using carbs that will be affected.....probably

scootz - 6/2/18 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
I hate this sort of pointless regulation - is forcing a couple of hundred cars off the road going to save any polar bears?

I hate this sort of pointless post.

We are living on a dying planet, and every little helps... even if it miffs big kids at play!

The universe does not revolve around me, myself, or I.

So we have to get with the emissions programme!? So what! Deal with it!

I agree, though, that the date for implementation should be such that it gives folks a reasonable amount of time to finish their part-builds under the current emissions rules.

Sam_68 - 6/2/18 at 08:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by nelmo

I hate this sort of pointless post.

We are living on a dying planet, and every little helps... even if it miffs big kids at play!

The universe does not revolve around me, myself, or I.

So we have to get with the emissions programme!? So what! Deal with it!

I kind of agree with this: might as well argue for a special exemption for cars owned anyone called Steven Briggs... there will only be a handful of those, too.

It's a bugger, and yet another nail in the coffin of the UK kit car industry, but the coffin itself was built way back in 1998 when SVA was introduced. The time to fight it was then.

Since this legislation is linked to EU conformity, and we've just voted away our rights to even have a say in that legislation for the Brexit transitional period, I reckon that the chances of influencing this are precisely nil.

craigdiver - 6/2/18 at 09:34 AM

quote:

I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit and people are getting confused; the people that really need to worry about this is those fitting 80s or earlier engines. As I said earlier, the DfT seems to have made the assumption that if you have a Euro 1 or later engine, then you have the hardware to meet the 2002 MOT limits. This is an assumption I can understand, a big enough cat with enough precious metal, enough temperature and not running rich should be enough to oxidise enough CO and HC to meet the limits.

To put it in perspective, I have a very early, pre Euro 1 MX5 engine (which does have a cat and EFi). I'm not overly concerned about the proposals, it's just the exhaust line will need a bit of thought.

This is great info PorkChop - just to be crystal clear, you mention the need to meet Euro 1 for MOT, does this also apply to cars going through IVA? (you need to be able to pass 2002 MOT limits to pass IVA emissions test?)

ianhurley20 - 6/2/18 at 09:53 AM

Just in case anyone does have an opinion that they want to give feedback to the legislators about you can do so at

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/road-vehicles-improving-air-quality-and-safety

but if you try to give online feedback you will be expected to give feedback with reasons on EVERY proposal

If you wish to comment on the issues about kit cars at IVA having to conform to whatever standards exist at that time you can do so by email or by post at the details below. The question in the consultation document comes in section 4 and is question 10.

Email to:
ivs.consult@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Write to:
Robert Lloyd-Smith
Zone 1/33,
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road,
London,
SW1P 4DR

jps - 6/2/18 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
IVA paperwork going in this week!

On this note, does anyone know the following:
What is the usual lead time on getting an IVA date?
Are the IVA centres amenable to people contacting them directly to ask questions? (I'm in Colchester so think I will go up to Norwich for mine)
And do we think that, in terms of retest, as long as the 'first' test is before whatever cut-off comes in for the engine, we will get an 'old' engine through - or do we think that it's going to be full completion of IVA before the cut off date which is required...?

[Edited on 6/2/18 by jps]

MattD - 6/2/18 at 02:08 PM

I helped a mate get a Murtaya kit mechanically ready just in time for the SVA cut off date before IVA came in... it had no trim & no lights, but the engine ran (badly), and the brakes worked.
It failed obviously, but we were purely there so that it was tested under the SVA rules.
We had a long "to do list", and 6 months to retest, which it passed still under the SVA criteria. (It would have passed IVA anyway, but mate was unnecsessarily worried).

How VOSA intend to implement the 2018 changes I dont know, but would expect similar.

Christof - 6/2/18 at 02:13 PM

did mine at Norwich a few months back
dont think there was a particularly long lead time, but assume your application has been approved and referred across to them already
doubt they would mind a few questions, but also doubt they are on the cutting edge of rule changes
webbed feet and all that (just kidding, love east anglia!)

jps - 6/2/18 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Christof
assume your application has been approved and referred across to them already

No! Until I read the info at the beginning of this post I was not even thinking to get it to IVA this year! I mean from filling in the form to apply for IVA - through to being at the test station!

Christof - 6/2/18 at 04:44 PM

my memory isn't great so I've looked back - you'll need to fill in the IVA 1C, amateur build declaration, photos/invoices/letter re engine age etc which can be done online and pay your £450. the only snag on mine was proof of purchase i.e to guard against stolen cars. That's a bit tricky when you buy an incomplete project with old parts etc from another individual rather than a manufacturer, so had to show bank statement showing payment plus a signed 'sale receipt' etc

there were a handful of emails probably took 3 weeks for the (dvsa?) process, then similar lead time for test day (vosn?).

once passed, then you have to send it all off to dvla -dvla vin application letter and garage stamped proof of vin on chassis, v55/5 application form, v627/1 built up vehicle report (ie can i have an age related reg please), registration fee (circa £200) first tax fee £250, iva cert, photos (again!), utility copies for proof of add etc

Throw in the transporter hire and that's £1000.

JC - 6/2/18 at 05:06 PM

My objection is that we are paying civil servants many hundreds of thousands to administer this rule change that will, in the grand scheme of things, have a minuscule effect on worldwide emissions. How about the emission system from agricultural vehicles? There are many more of those than kit cars. How about power station emissions? Having been to China who are building coal fired power stations at a huge rate, I fail to see how a few hundred (at most)less Pinto engines on carbs will do anything! Save the money and get the civil servants doing something more useful!!!!!!

Sam_68 - 6/2/18 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
My objection is that we are paying civil servants many hundreds of thousands to administer this rule change...

Be careful what you wish for. By far the cheapest and easiest option from an administrative point of view is to stop pandering to the whims of a few eccentric enthusiasts and ban home-built vehicles altogether.

sdh2903 - 6/2/18 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by JC
My objection is that we are paying civil servants many hundreds of thousands to administer this rule change...

Be careful what you wish for. By far the cheapest and easiest option from an administrative point of view is to stop pandering to the whims of a few eccentric enthusiasts and ban home-built vehicles altogether.

Indeed just ask some of our brothers on the continent about getting a home built car on the road. We've got it easy. Even with the new proposed rules.

scootz - 6/2/18 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
How about the emission system from agricultural vehicles? There are many more of those than kit cars...

We need to eat. And as an island nation, we need to be able to maintain an ability to produce our own food.

We don't need to build kit-cars.

andyace - 6/2/18 at 08:38 PM

Ok so preparing for the worst (or best as we save the planet) .... assuming my 2.0 pinto with zx9r bike carbs won't pass emissions, what's my cheapest option (relative term) to get an engine which does meet current emissions

Assuming I buy a brand new Zetec 2 litre blacktop whats the cheapest option to get it to pass emissions?? Can I use my ZX9r carbs on it and still pass emissions or do I HAVE to go injection ... I have a type 9 .... would I need a cat ... ? I'm an old school engine person and don't have the knowledge (yet) of newer engines.

A new zetec will cost me £1100 ish, how much will it cost above this to get the cheapest passable engine ??

Would appreciate some input from my knowledgeable members, thanks

daviep - 6/2/18 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
My objection is that we are paying civil servants many hundreds of thousands to administer this rule change that will, in the grand scheme of things, have a minuscule effect on worldwide emissions. How about the emission system from agricultural vehicles? There are many more of those than kit cars. How about power station emissions? Having been to China who are building coal fired power stations at a huge rate, I fail to see how a few hundred (at most)less Pinto engines on carbs will do anything! Save the money and get the civil servants doing something more useful!!!!!!

FYI, agricultural and plant engine emissions have been regulated since about 1999 and have been getting stricter every few years, hence why many tractors etc now need to run adblue.

Cheers
Davie

Edwardo - 6/2/18 at 09:49 PM

Ok - As one of the people directly affected by this "proposed" (we all know it has already been decided) change, I'm also going to ask the collective's opinion on this please:-

I was planning to go through IVA with a 1989 2.0 EFI Pinto running stock ECU.

Would this motor stand a chance of meeting current mot emissions regs with a CAT or is my motor due to join the forthcoming tidalwave of pinto's soon to appear on Ebay?

Cheers
Tony

jester - 6/2/18 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Edwardo
Ok - As one of the people directly affected by this "proposed" (we all know it has already been decided) change, I'm also going to ask the collective's opinion on this please:-

I was planning to go through IVA with a 1989 2.0 EFI Pinto running stock ECU.

Would this motor stand a chance of meeting current mot emissions regs with a CAT or is my motor due to join the forthcoming tidalwave of pinto's soon to appear on Ebay?

Cheers
Tony

You think 1989 Engine is bad I am trying to finsh my jester that runs a 1.1 crossflow on a carb from a Mk1 Fiesta 1982

And it's running sweet now as well

minibull - 7/2/18 at 04:55 AM

Not much hope of my pre xflow passing. As to those who believe that a) we should think our selves lucky that we are privileged to be able to build kit cars and b) that this change to reduce kit car emissions will make any difference to levels of pollution are I imagine the owners of cars already which meet the limits proposed and are true optimists. Not all kit cars are built as or intended to be fast modern lotus 7 clones. Some of us like to build replicas of older cars Jag ss's, xk's,D and C types,Cobra's, Lotus Elevens even replica's of Lotus 6's and early Lotus 7's etc. Even on this site there is a thread running currently extolling the virtues of older type narrow wheeled cars Yes there are fewer of us but that means total emisions from these cars comes to a total of sodd all of a percentage of total traffic emisions. Many of you won't be affected by these changes and if you aren't directly affected then why bother objecting. Of course those of us who are affected not only won't feel lucky to be able to be able to build cars that we don't want but also won't be involved with the kit car hobby when the next proposals do affect your cars and you need support to be able build the cars you want. Either all those who's hobby is self building the cars they want stick together or very soon the right to build our own car will be taken from all of us.

Sam_68 - 7/2/18 at 07:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by minibull As to those who believe that a) we should think our selves lucky that we are privileged to be able to build kit cars and b) that this change to reduce kit car emissions will make any difference to levels of pollution are I imagine the owners of cars already which meet the limits proposed and are true optimists.

Not at all. I had plans to build a Westfield Eleven at some stage; already pretty dodgy under IVA, but since it's always been produced as standard for the A-series engine (and very few other engines fit under the bonnet line without expensive dry sumping mods), I have no doubt that Westfield will finally kill it off once and for all as a result of this legislative change.

That's life; poo happens, sometimes. You've just got to be pragmatic and get on with it.

Any of my friends hearing me being called a 'true optimist' would be genuinely amused, I am sure!

SJ - 7/2/18 at 10:54 AM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JC
How about the emission system from agricultural vehicles? There are many more of those than kit cars...

We need to eat. And as an island nation, we need to be able to maintain an ability to produce our own food.

We don't need to build kit-cars.

yep, we'll only need to keep a couple of billion kit cars off the road to off set one of the coal fired power stations being built!

Sam_68 - 7/2/18 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
yep, we'll only need to keep a couple of billion kit cars off the road to off set one of the coal fired power stations being built!

No coal fired power stations are being built in the UK, nor have they been for some time.

Last year in fact experienced our first 'coal free' day of power generation in the UK, along with the first day when power generation by renewables exceeded that by fossil fuel. Most of our remaining fossil fuel stations are gas fired, so you could say that they're 'LPG', which is acknowledged as a relatively low emissions alternative when used on road vehicles.

We're heading toward all newly registered vehicles being hybrid, then probably pure EV, within the next 20 years, so were going to have to get with the programme somewhere along the line... I'm sure that no-one would suggest that it will be acceptable for self-builders to be registering uncatalysed, carburettored petrol engines when everything else is ultra-low or zero emissions?

russbost - 8/2/18 at 09:07 AM

The main thing that concerns me is the "tested to current MoT limits" - now, currently the MoT manual states " vehicles after 2002 but not on the annex" (obviously no kitcar will be on the annex) - nut then for ANY current vehicle which is listed on the annex "as stated in the annex" - without having a copy of the annex I think those figures are actually slightly less onerous. HOWEVER surely vehicles complying with Euro 6 & above must have to meet higher requirements at manufacture - is there any intention to introduce tougher limits at MoT, so far as I am aware there is nothing in the consultation about such possible changes.

Further the thing everyone is raving about re air pollution is NOxes, so is it likely that a NOx measurement is to be introduced to the MoT? If not then it makes the whole emission testing fiasco all the more ridiculous.

A NOx test would be a total game changer, it's not impossible to get a 30 year old engine to meet the emissions requirements (not saying it's easy, saying it's possible) for the purpose of the IVA test as it is at 2 specific RPM areas, both of which correspond to very low throttle openings - I get our ZZR1400 engines thro' for instance which were never intended to pass such emission tests - the chance of them ever actually meeting those emission standards whilst on the road is a whole different conversation. But for NOxes so far as I'm aware it's largely withing the actual engine design & original intended management system, so not something you could easily play with afterwards

So if this is agreed as is, & if MoT limits change, you could be suddenly & swiftly shafted with little or no notice, I feel therefore that this is to be resisted as best we can & the best way is for us to make our no.'s (albeit small) felt

As has already been said, if you attempt to object online you have to go thro' every single Q on the form when it is only a specific area we are interested in commenting on, I would suggest therefore that EVERYONE writes to

Robert Lloyd-Smith
Zone 1/33,
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road,
London,
SW1P 4DR

Clearly stating their objections, ie that given the small no. of vehicles affected compared with worldwide emissions this legislation will have almost zero effect, however on those small no. of kitcars/specials, which are using recycled engines which would otherwise generate more scrap, the costs & amount of work this would inflict on the owners/builders would be entirely unfair & would be likely to reduce or eliminate one of our unique UK cottage industries & many of the parts & component suppliers that deal in these markets - something along those lines, please don't digress into anything about retrospective legislation for cars already registered, it does NOT apply to those vehicles

Let's present a united front

mattf - 8/2/18 at 12:38 PM

Some info. on the Complete Kitcar magazine website here

Sam_68 - 8/2/18 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattf

OK... so that seems clear enough:

1) There is no effect on cars that have already been registered.

2) Cars that are registered once the change has been implemented will simply have to meet the MOT test requirement for post-1992 vehicles (which effectively means fuel injection and a catalyst).

Is anyone losing any sleep over those requirements?

andyace - 8/2/18 at 01:44 PM

quote:
quote:

OK... so that seems clear enough:

1) There is no effect on cars that have already been registered.

2) Cars that are registered once the change has been implemented will simply have to meet the MOT test requirement for post-1992 vehicles (which effectively means fuel injection and a catalyst).

Is anyone losing any sleep over those requirements?

erm yes me, if it goes through then I need to scrap the Pinto unit and parts I have bought over the years and spend tons more on an engine which will pass emissions which will be significantly more expensive.

While I'm not against the proposal I feel it's a bit unfair on those part way through a build. I'd be happy for it to be in force from 2020

loggyboy - 8/2/18 at 02:02 PM

quote:

As i read the gov document its not Post 92 regs, its current Mot regulations, meaning a CAT test (post 2002)

Compared to the non CAT test applied to 92-2002 cars.

Thats a big jump in HC and CO levels.

[Edited on 8-2-18 by loggyboy]

Sam_68 - 8/2/18 at 02:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
As i read the gov document its not Post 92 regs, its current Mot regulations, meaning a CAT test (post 2002)

Yes, apologies - you're quite right.

Still fuel injection and a catalyst still ought to be able to meet the requirements on pretty much any non-prehistoric engine?

Edwardo - 8/2/18 at 03:16 PM

quote:
erm yes me, if it goes through then I need to scrap the Pinto unit and parts I have bought over the years and spend tons more on an engine which will pass emissions which will be significantly more expensive.

While I'm not against the proposal I feel it's a bit unfair on those part way through a build. I'd be happy for it to be in force from 2020

I think everybody agrees that it's the time scale they are proposing that's not fair to us 'mid-builders'. I think we all agree with the idea going forwards.

It's not the cost of buying a new engine from my point of view - you can pick up an MX5 (purely for example) engine/box very-very cheaply these days. Whole scrap cars can be bought for less than a coupe of hundred quid.

It's all the extra work at this stage to get it into a chassis that was designed for a Pinto that I object to! And as we all know as kit builders - it's the ancillary bits that sting you heavily in the wallet - ie hundreds of pounds for a new expensive manifold and silencer because your exhaust now goes out the other side/hybrid or new propshaft possibly etc etc.

Personally it would involve stripping my car back down to the bare chassis - cutting and re-welding the engine supports and probably gearbox tunnel tubes/diff mounts etc (my welding is not good enough for important parts like this so it would involve getting a pro in to do it££ - it just wouldn't be worth it for an old 2B chassis).

I have drafted my objection and will be sending it tomorrow. Fingers crossed they listen and allow us a sensible 'grace' period (although I don't hold out much hope of that tbh).

Cheers
Tony

softfeet - 8/2/18 at 04:42 PM

Perhaps I am being a bit cynical or mischievous, but this proposal, if implemented, may cause the value of Pinto engines to plummet and the value of Dutton V5s to rocket...

Sam_68 - 8/2/18 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by softfeet
Perhaps I am being a bit cynical or mischievous, but this proposal, if implemented, may cause the value of Pinto engines to plummett...

Oh, I dunno. People will always need good mud anchors.

Joking aside, Andyace, you wouldn't have to scrap your engine. If it's to a decent spec, just sell it on to one of the Fast Ford boys, and pick up a more modern, more powerful engine for probably less than you've spent on it?

It would be a pain re-engineering the rest of the car slightly to accept it, but hardly the end of the world?

Certainly agree that a period of grace would be nice, but if we don't get it, life goes on...

russbost - 8/2/18 at 08:03 PM

I think you are all somewhat missing the point, at least to a certain extent - "compliance with the MoT standard at the time of registration will be required" - is a very "wooly" description & means you are agreeing to have your vehicle tested to whatever standard is in force at the time of completion of the build - I see plenty of builds on here that have taken 10 years or more, what on earth the MoT regs are likely to be in 10 years, god only knows.

Also, just because it doesn't affect you personally "I've got my car IVA'd & registered, I'm alright Jack" is not a reason to allow others to get their plans trashed due to bureaucracy, the guys saying they have Pinto engines or similar - these certainly could be made to pass current MoT regs, possibly even with carbs, but certainly not without a lot of faffing & tinkering

As I said b4, let's stick together on this & get some letters in to

Robert Lloyd-Smith
Zone 1/33,
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road,
London,
SW1P 4DR

As for "Still fuel injection and a catalyst still ought to be able to meet the requirements on pretty much any non-prehistoric engine?" - yes, but if you'd just laid out ££££'s for a set of twin webbers or similar, I think you'd have every right to feel a bit miffed. Also, if you have swapped cams, valves, had head work done then you may have a fair bit of retuning to do to get a car to pass. Remember very few people run the stock air plenum & management so it's never going to be straightforward

At best we want existing regulations to continue & at worst a 2 or 4 year "breathing space" to allow builds to be finished

tims31 - 8/2/18 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Ok so preparing for the worst (or best as we save the planet) .... assuming my 2.0 pinto with zx9r bike carbs won't pass emissions, what's my cheapest option (relative term) to get an engine which does meet current emissions

Assuming I buy a brand new Zetec 2 litre blacktop whats the cheapest option to get it to pass emissions?? Can I use my ZX9r carbs on it and still pass emissions or do I HAVE to go injection ... I have a type 9 .... would I need a cat ... ? I'm an old school engine person and don't have the knowledge (yet) of newer engines.

A new zetec will cost me £1100 ish, how much will it cost above this to get the cheapest passable engine ??

Would appreciate some input from my knowledgeable members, thanks

Why buy a New Zetec, an old Mondeo 2.0ltr and you have almost everything you need to fit to your car, Engine, ECU throttle body etc. for a couple of hundred quid. My zetec cost me £140.

I have detailed mine in my build blog see below

However all though it does not affect me directly at the moment (I'm lucky mine passed last year) I do intend to write a letter and have my opinion to try and preserve what we do have as an industry here in the UK. The details provided in the Kitcar magazine statement make a good base for it.

[Edited on 8/2/18 by tims31]

Sam_68 - 8/2/18 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost...we want existing regulations to continue...

You don't speak for all of us, Russ.

Some of us have seen the writing on the wall. Emissions are going to continue to be driven down on mainstream cars, like it or not. The planet is dying and governments have got to be seen to at least try to do something about it.

The further out of step individually built vehicles become with mainstream legislation, the sooner they'll be banned outright.

Meeting current MOT standard (whatever that happens to be at the time) isn't all that stringent - it means that cars we're newly registering are allowed to be as dirty as the worst mainstream production cars of similar age that would be tolerated before being removed from the roads as being unfit and unroadworthy. It's really not that unreasonable a requirement, when you think about it.

By all means argue for a reasonable transition period, but I have no problem with being asked to comply with minimum levels of roadworthyness for cars of equivalent age in the longer term.

russbost - 9/2/18 at 07:54 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by russbost...we want existing regulations to continue...

You don't speak for all of us, Russ.

Some of us have seen the writing on the wall. Emissions are going to continue to be driven down on mainstream cars, like it or not. The planet is dying and governments have got to be seen to at least try to do something about it.

The further out of step individually built vehicles become with mainstream legislation, the sooner they'll be banned outright.

Meeting current MOT standard (whatever that happens to be at the time) isn't all that stringent - it means that cars we're newly registering are allowed to be as dirty as the worst mainstream production cars of similar age that would be tolerated before being removed from the roads as being unfit and unroadworthy. It's really not that unreasonable a requirement, when you think about it.

By all means argue for a reasonable transition period, but I have no problem with being asked to comply with minimum levels of roadworthyness for cars of equivalent age in the longer term.

You misunderstand me, "we want existing regulations to continue" is purely a bargaining position, ask for 2 years you might get 1, or just 6 months, ask for 4, you might 2, so why not ask for the continued status quo?

ALL world governments have their head in the sand completely ignoring the elephant in the room of too many people on the planet with the no. increasing at an exponential rate, (in any other organism, the rate of human increase would be seen as a cancer or similar) ALL governments have their economic policy based on an expanding economy - how can you continue to infinitely expand on a finite planet, we had better ask Elon Musk to get his finger out!

ALL the worlds governing bodies are simply fiddling whilst Rome burns, items such as the one in hand are simply paperwork exercises to appear to be doing something. If you removed the entire human population tomorrow, you would still have acid seas & bleaching corals & you would still have climate change, there is too much inertia behind it all now & no amount of windfarms & solar panels will fix it with an increasing population. Whilst I agree we should still try for improvements silly little changes such as this one probably actually have the opposite effect, you do know everytime you do something on the internet you are generating heat? Well this daft idea will probably generate moire than it will ever save!

Sam_68 - 9/2/18 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
...so why not ask for the continued status quo?

Because "we" don't want it. It's a bad idea, for the long-term health of the industry.

Evolve or die...

russbost - 9/2/18 at 09:13 AM

quote:
quote:
...so why not ask for the continued status quo?

Because "we" don't want it. It's a bad idea, for the long-term health of the industry.

Evolve or die...

So you don't understand the point of a bargaining position? I actually agree that it is probably a bad idea for the industry in the long term, but you really do have to question how long a term is left for what's left of "our" industry anyway .............

jps - 9/2/18 at 09:27 AM

quote:

Yeah - Like they've banned traction engines and steam trains and steam cars... Oh no, because they have negligible impact in the grand scheme of things, they haven't have they!!!

I also have no problem with, long term, bringing things more in line. This is a rather abrupt proposed implementation of a change though - probably proposed by people who didn't think of the knock on consequences.

SJ - 9/2/18 at 09:39 AM

Anybody fancy writing a book on how to build one of these for £250?

Fred
Fred

Sam_68 - 9/2/18 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:

Yeah - Like they've banned traction engines and steam trains and steam cars... Oh no, because they have negligible impact in the grand scheme of things, they haven't have they!!!

Erm... yes, they have, actually, you know.

As per Daviep's post on agricultural machinery, above, you'll find that they have effectively banned traction engines. Steam trains and steam cars, too. Nobody has noticed, of course, because we voluntarily stopped building them decades ago, because of their ludicrous inefficiency.

It would be impossible to 'register' new examples any of them, under the relevant legislation for their respective industries, unless you could prove that their external combustion processes were sufficiently low emissions (obviously steam itself is zero emissions... it's whatever means of boiling the water that's the problem). You certainly wouldn't get away with one that ran on coal, with an old-fashioned firebox and tube boiler.

We're not talking (yet) about banning the use or restoration of existing historic vehicles. We're talking about the first registration of newly-built vehicles.

clive7883 - 9/2/18 at 06:08 PM

Instead of forum members agreeing and disagreeing on various points of the proposed I.V.A changes, if they could put that energy into writing to the person mentioned in the consultation document, Robert Lloyd-Smith , it may help us all, I have spent the afternoon composing a letter/email,
see it below, some may care to copy it word for word if that is easier for them , others may wish to add or subtract points, But if we all send something in it may just help. Not only us, but others in the future.

Email; ivs.consult@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Robert Lloyd-Smith
Zone 1/33
Great Minster house
33 Horseferry road
London SW1P 4DR

Date

Ref; Road Vehicles improving air quality and safety consultation.

Dear Sir,
With regards to the above mentioned document, I do understand the need to review, and if necessary, update vehicle safety and pollution specifications from time to time, however, I must object to question 4.10 regarding kit car emissions.

The proposal, if it were implemented, would have a major impact on a great many individuals who have spent hard earned money and many hours, in some cases years, constructing vehicles , as yet unfinished, using recycled engines and other components that would otherwise have gone for scrap, subsequently creating pollution in the process.

It will also have a dramatic impact on the U.K. specialist and kit car manufactures and there suppliers, whilst not a large industry compared to major motor manufacturers, it is unique to the U.K. keeping a lot of people, a great number of which have specialist skills, fully employed.

The introduction of the S.V.A. test, then the I.V.A. test has insured all vehicles are built to a safe standard, a fact borne out by the low insurance premiums these cars command.

On a day to day basis, there are very few kit cars or classic cars used on the roads, most are reserved for days out or weekends, it is not uncommon for these vehicles to have limited mileage insurance of only 2000 or 3000 miles a year, with the vast majority not covering 1000 a year.

The emissions impact of such a small number of vehicles, doing very low annual mileage really doesn't warrant the very heavy handed controls being considered, I strongly request this element of the proposed new legislation be dropped.

Yours Faithfully.

Well there's the letter if you want to copy it,please do, but whatever you do, please, please write something, please don't be complacent and not do anything, if this legislation goes through, its one more nail in the coffin so to speak, and it will just make it harder and harder for people to build individual road cars in the future
Thanks.

[Edited on 9/2/18 by clive7883]

russbost - 9/2/18 at 06:14 PM

What Clive said ^^^, let's stop bickering & get some letters sent!

PorkChop - 9/2/18 at 07:58 PM

quote:
quote:

This is great info PorkChop - just to be crystal clear, you mention the need to meet Euro 1 for MOT, does this also apply to cars going through IVA? (you need to be able to pass 2002 MOT limits to pass IVA emissions test?)

The key thing to remember about Euro legislation and the MOT is that the test procedures are very different. All Euro tests are conducted on chassis dynos, following a prescribed speed trace (which was the NEDC, and most recently the WLTP), therefore you are in different gears and engine speeds / loads. As we know, the MOT emissions tests are conducted on a vehicle at a standstill over a relatively narrow engine speed range in neutral. You are also required to meet different tailpipe limits.

There seems to be nothing in the proposals that require an engine to be fitted which met any of the Euro standards when fitted to the donor vehicle. It just has to pass the relevant tailpipe emissions when presented for IVA.

The proposals rule out needing to have NEDC or WLTP testing for a kit car undergoing IVA.

In theory, a Pinto could be made to meet the MOT standards. Don't forget, the A series was fitted with EFi and a catalyst; which allowed it meet at least Euro 2 (and possibly Euro 3) emissions standard when fitted to the classic Mini.

sdh2903 - 9/2/18 at 08:19 PM

One point that seems to be getting missed here. The mot limits are not set in stone. They can and will only be made more stringent and then we have an ever moving set of goalposts. This is the big issue. What happens if you spend £xxx getting your engine to meet current standards only for them to tighten up mot regs and your back to square one.

Send a letter/email. I don't think it will change the dft's mind as they are a complete bureaucratic nightmare devoid of all common sense.

But we have to try!

PorkChop - 9/2/18 at 08:31 PM

quote:

Why? I disagree that it is something that needs objecting to. Bear in mind this directly affects me and my build.

PorkChop - 9/2/18 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
One point that seems to be getting missed here. The mot limits are not set in stone. They can and will only be made more stringent and then we have an ever moving set of goalposts. This is the big issue. What happens if you spend £xxx getting your engine to meet current standards only for them to tighten up mot regs and your back to square one.

Send a letter/email. I don't think it will change the dft's mind as they are a complete bureaucratic nightmare devoid of all common sense.

But we have to try!

Quite, they're not set in stone, although it's worth bearing in mind they haven't changed for the last 16 years. That situation is not going to change until the next raft of MOT proposals come in either, whenever that is. This is when you could have something tangible to object to, rather than whys and wherefores as you do currently.

And who is to say that if these IVA proposals didn't go through this year, the DfT isn't going to propose the scenario you describe as 'the big issue' further down the line anyway?

sdh2903 - 9/2/18 at 09:15 PM

But by that point your already in with the masses and won't have any say as a collective community.

I can see you have differing views as everyone will. Yes this isn't a massive step now. But this is the thin end of the wedge.

Sam_68 - 9/2/18 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
...this is the thin end of the wedge.

The thin end of the wedge was when we rolled over and accepted SVA without a fight, back in 1998.

We're trying to close the stable door 20 years after the horse has bolted.

russbost - 10/2/18 at 10:37 AM

quote:
quote:

Why? I disagree that it is something that needs objecting to. Bear in mind this directly affects me and my build.

Fine, so don't send a letter! But don't then complain a few years down the line when they introduce NOx limits to the MoT or similar & someone who's starting a build now will be completely stuffed

I would point out this has no direct effect on me as everything I put in as a manufacturer HAS to pass the CAT test anyway, irrelevant of engine year, but I don't agree we should just roll over without even commenting on it

"The thin end of the wedge was when we rolled over and accepted SVA without a fight, back in 1998." - Really? Disagree entirely, I thought pretty much everyone agreed that overall SVA was a good thing, made a LOT of people clean up their act. IVA, however was a different matter, where else but in a government department could you think that an increase in charges of over 700% for a test that had barely changed could possibly be reasonable - & unfortunately this is the sort of bludgeoning bureaucracy we have to deal with

& I still say let's stop bickering & either take action or don't as each of us sees fit

Sam_68 - 10/2/18 at 12:59 PM

quote:
"The thin end of the wedge was when we rolled over and accepted SVA without a fight, back in 1998." - Really? Disagree entirely, I thought pretty much everyone agreed that overall SVA was a good thing...

Not me - I was writing to the magazines (those being the days before internet was in such commonplace use) saying exactly that it was the thin end of the wedge, for exactly the reasons that have transpired... that it would give an easy mechanism by which the Regs could be progressively tightened and made more obstructive, without the ability for effective resistance, to the point where the industry ceased to be viable.
We were sold a dummy, with SVA - the ultimate outcome was inevitable.

To be fair, my concerns were based mainly on the similar system for homebuilt aircraft, where the UK has a delightfully Catch-22 situation that you're not allowed to build a design unless it has proven successful over so many flight hours, but you're not allowed to fly a prototype to gain those hours - leaving us only able to pick up designs second-hand from other countries.

I firmly believe that you can't have a progressive and innovative engineering industry without some risk, and there was never any evidence that kit or self-built cars were particularly dangerous - just the opposite, from the insurance figures; they were always a very good risk.

Congratulations, though - you've obviously got the system that you wanted: nannied to the point where even the most trivial risk is removed... including environmental risk.

jester - 10/2/18 at 06:03 PM

quote:

Nice one

snippy - 11/2/18 at 11:09 PM

Done my bit and sent an e-mail with my concerns tonight. It potentially affects me running a 4age on webers. Car is almost finished too

russbost - 12/2/18 at 09:55 AM

@Sam_68 "Congratulations, though - you've obviously got the system that you wanted: nannied to the point where even the most trivial risk is removed... including environmental risk." - Where do you come up with this cr*p from Sam? we certainly don't have a system that I like nor wanted, as I pointed out had you bothered to read my post, SVA was one thing, IVA quite another & obviously I want a total nanny system, that's why I designed such a boring middle of the road car!

To get back to NOT bickering & the important item that's actually in hand, there is a very important paragraph in that complete kitcar link above which reads "Peter Bailey, of Chesil Motor Company has spoken to Mike Lowe who told him: “…if the consensus of the opinion is that this will kill the British kit car industry, we are very much open to listening and asking Ministers if we can remove this proposal from the package of proposals.” so it at least sounds as tho' the people in control MIGHT listen to sensible arguments; think about some of the ramifications of this, would a Cobra with a modern fuel injected quiet, tame V8 be the same as one with a bucket sized carb on a big block old school V8? Obviously not, same goes for stuff like Ford GT 40's, D type, SS100 etc etc ALL the old school replica's would either disappear or turn into toned down versions much more like a modern car & quite losing the spirit of the original.

If you read the piece from Complete Kitcar there is much in there concerning engine choice & the reasons for it (I assume Chesil incidentally are still using the old VW lump, was that ever available with injection, management & a CAT?), it warrants reading & the points raised therein are precisely the sort of thing we should be pointing out to the powers concerned

As I've already said, if you agree with the proposals, fine, do nothing, that's your choice, but if you disagree then please write in & try to send something original rather than just a copied template from someone else

jps - 12/2/18 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost there is a very important paragraph in that complete kitcar link above which reads "Peter Bailey, of Chesil Motor Company has spoken to Mike Lowe who told him: “…if the consensus of the opinion is that this will kill the British kit car industry, we are very much open to listening and asking Ministers if we can remove this proposal from the package of proposals.”

I suspect that it'll help a lot if there is representation from manufacturers about this change, I can imagine ministers more interested in changing policy if they think business will suffer. Is there anything this community could do to raise this issue with kit manufacturers, etc?

From a business point of view I think there's a wider point to consider that just "do many of our buyers fit Pintos". I can imagine that short-notice implementation of something like this would be rather off putting for someone thinking of starting a build. Would you start a 12 month project if you knew that the goalposts could be changed at 6 months notice?

jps - 12/2/18 at 11:22 AM

Whoops - double post...

[Edited on 12/2/18 by jps]

Sam_68 - 12/2/18 at 11:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbostWhere do you come up with this cr*p from Sam?

Why, directly from yourself, Russ:

quote:
I thought pretty much everyone agreed that overall SVA was a good thing, made a LOT of people clean up their act. IVA, however was a different matter, where else but in a government department could you think that an increase in charges of over 700% for a test that had barely changed could possibly be reasonable

On the one hand, you are saying that (apart from the cost) IVA is virtually identical to SVA, which 'everyone agreed' was a good thing. On the other, you are now saying that we have a system that you neither like nor wanted.

Which is it - you seem confused?

Sam_68 - 12/2/18 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
I suspect that it'll help a lot if there is representation from manufacturers about this change, I can imagine ministers more interested in changing policy if they think business will suffer. Is there anything this community could do to raise this issue with kit manufacturers, etc?

Of course, it's a particular and specific issue for Chesil: the authenticity of their cars relies upon them being able to fit long-obsolete air-cooled Beetle engines. There will be one or two others, too - Suffolk Sportscars springs to mind - but by and large it's not that big an issue for the manufacturers.

Truth be told, it would probably suit the majority of them quite well to have a system that demanded we buy a complete, 'compliant' drivetrain package from them, instead of hunting ebay for donors.

I am a member of the Niche Vehicle Network, which represents small volume vehicle manufacturers and is a 'statutory consultee' on the latest proposals. They haven't even bothered highlighting this matter with us.

russbost - 12/2/18 at 12:35 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by russbostWhere do you come up with this cr*p from Sam?

Why, directly from yourself, Russ:

quote:
I thought pretty much everyone agreed that overall SVA was a good thing, made a LOT of people clean up their act. IVA, however was a different matter, where else but in a government department could you think that an increase in charges of over 700% for a test that had barely changed could possibly be reasonable

On the one hand, you are saying that (apart from the cost) IVA is virtually identical to SVA, which 'everyone agreed' was a good thing. On the other, you are now saying that we have a system that you neither like nor wanted.

Which is it - you seem confused?

As usual, the pedant pulls individual sentences apart rather than looking at what's actually been said "overall SVA was a good thing" Yes, it was I ran a garage business back in the day & was an MoT tester, you simply would not believe some of the homebuilt kitcars which were brought in to us for MoT when all you needed to do was build the car & MoT it, then apply for registration, locknuts missing from track rod ends, loose steering rack, non-working or leaking brakes/brake hoses, hoses, wiring etc. chaffing anything from fan belt to handbrake cables, handbrake cable shortened by tying knots in it; one car actually had the column fall off the rack whilst on the ramp, he hadn't fitted a pinch bolt!!! - the standard was utterly appalling, a normal MoT at the time took around half an hour, one of these could take 2 hours, have a 4 page failure on a red ticket (remember those, prohibited driving the vehicle away?). So YES, resoundingly, something needed to be done & the CONCEPT of the SVA was a good idea, it's implementation was, as usual for a government department, utterly useless as it had to cover everything from a one off kitcar to things like hearses/ambulances/imports etc etc one size does NOT fit all & all the rubbish about sharp edges etc. was far too heavy handed & didn't apply any rules of common sense, the big problem with IVA is indeed the cost & has decimated the (already dying/damaged) industry

For anyone that doesn't want to object to this, fine, ignore it, but please leave those that want to discuss what should be done & how to do it, in peace to do so

Sam, if you want to make childish pedantic comments to me or anyone else then I suggest you do it by U2U rather than distracting from what many people feel to be a serious subject. I will no longer respond to any comment made by yourself or others which is "off topic" let's keep discussion to the subject in hand

I am hardly surprised that the Niche Vehicle Network haven't taken any notice as they are primarily manufacturers of brand new vehicles using modern technology such as carbon fibre, hybrid & electric motors, they are hardly likely to be interested in something affecting old technology are they? (please don't bother to answer that)

Sam_68 - 12/2/18 at 01:07 PM

quote:
As usual, the pedant pulls individual sentences apart rather than looking at what's actually been said

On the contrary, Russ; I deliberately quoted your sentence in full, because the only criticism you raised against IVA was the cost: you specifically stated that otherwise, it had (quoting your own words) "barely changed" from IVA which 'pretty much everyone agreed was a good thing'.

If you don't like being quoted on what you say, instead of what you think you mean, then try saying what you mean with more care.

I'm sure we would all like IVA to be cheaper, but the reality is that it probably doesn't cover its costs even at the current rate, and if you want to see how that would play out, you only need to look at the German TUV or Australian ADR systems (the latter, you effectively have to employ a consultant engineer to oversee your build).

Your own position on this seems to be very confused, to say the least, so please don't present yourself as in some way representing the wider car building community.

quote:
I am hardly surprised that the Niche Vehicle Network haven't taken any notice as they are primarily manufacturers of brand new vehicles using modern technology such as carbon fibre, hybrid & electric motors, they are hardly likely to be interested in something affecting old technology are they? (please don't bother to answer that)

The Niche Vehicle Network are not manufacturers of anything. They are a body that consists of, and represents, numerous manufacturers within the specialist car industry.

Their leading and most active members are companies like Westfield, Ariel, Morgan, Ginetta and the like, but there is nothing to stop you yourself or Furore joining them, if you are really interested in making representations on behalf of the industry.

snapper - 13/2/18 at 07:09 AM

No you not think that the cliff edge proposed in the consultation is the main issue, disadvantage for those who are currently building.
There is not enough time for those people to change to a newer engine and the cost would be high.
Those who are building must respond to the consultation and I would hope those who have been lucky enough to have already completed theirs would support the others not so luck especially if you have a Pinto engine for instance because you would have failed.

Let’s start a list of who has responded
1.me

russbost - 13/2/18 at 11:12 AM

This info is from the thread on Pistonheads

"I have now had confirmation via the assistant to my local MP that the new rules - if they come into force - will not be retrospective. They will apply to cars registered later in 2018 at a date to be confirmed. Anyone building a car with an engine that won’t comply with current emissions legislation needs to get it registered and IVA’d as soon as possible as a contingency against Government madness...."

To add to the list Paul started

1.Snapper
2.Russbost

I would add, that if you are concerned about these proposals, but can't find time/be bothered to write in yourself, you can ask Adam Wilkins at Complete Kitcar to add your name to the group submission they are making - adam@performancepublishing.co.uk

CTLeeds - 13/2/18 at 03:00 PM

I've sent an email with my concerns even though I think my 1997 BMW engined Rush should pass when I get to test stage.

I think the manner in which they are planning to rush through the changes is entirely unfair to builders that have already started with an engine that will struggle to pass the proposed new limits on emissions. I suggested (being as they love paperwork) that new builders embarking on a project from the proposed date of the new limits download and complete a declaration to DVSA that ties them to the new legislation going forward. Existing builders could complete a declaration that ties them to a completion date two years (or something) from the proposed date.

I understand that the government have to take action on air quality and kit builders can't be exempt from that but introducing changes that are fair, proportionate and give an appropriate lead time for projects to be completed is surely the way forward.

On a side note I thought I saw on the document that the Niche Vehicle Network was on the list of consultees. I mentioned them in my email as I suspect they are more concerned with the shifting of turnkey cars rather than kit builders and therefore could offer false representation in my opinion.

Chris

joneh - 13/2/18 at 03:18 PM

quote:
This info is from the thread on Pistonheads

"I have now had confirmation via the assistant to my local MP that the new rules - if they come into force - will not be retrospective. They will apply to cars registered later in 2018 at a date to be confirmed. Anyone building a car with an engine that won’t comply with current emissions legislation needs to get it registered and IVA’d as soon as possible as a contingency against Government madness...."

To add to the list Paul started

1.Snapper
2.Russbost

I would add, that if you are concerned about these proposals, but can't find time/be bothered to write in yourself, you can ask Adam Wilkins at Complete Kitcar to add your name to the group submission they are making - adam@performancepublishing.co.uk

I've responded in full to the questionnaire with a plea to either not change the emmision regulations or give us more time to complete...

clive7883 - 13/2/18 at 03:45 PM

I have replied via an email, also sent a hard copy by post, a friend has also responded by post,
so that's 2 more..

Hoylegj - 18/2/18 at 05:04 PM

Everyone should be responding online to the consultation and asking for Cars that go via BIVA to be exempt. Otherwise even cats and fuel injection may not get you through as time goes on and the standards become even harder. remember they are going to be linked it to emissions rules at the test date I.e. Therefore Amateur biulds will find this harder and harder as time goes on

so please respond to the consultation ask for BIVA exemption

[Edited on 18/2/18 by Hoylegj]

Peter Perfect - 18/2/18 at 09:34 PM

I've responded, if the proposals go ahead my build stops

For the attention of

Robert Lloyd-Smith
33 Horseferry Road
London SW1P 4DR

Dear Sirs,

proposal document called ‘Road Vehicles – Improving air quality and safety’.

The following are my response to sections 4.10 - 4.13 of the above document, and Questions 8 and 10

Q8. Do you agree with the introduction of WLTP in IVA, for light vehicles built after 1 July 2018? Answer: No

Q10. Are you content with our proposal to require kit cars to meet the latest MOT standards, removing the current rule where vehicles are tested to MOT standards according to the age of their engine? Answer: No

I am building, and have been for many years a Ronart W152, and whilst it is not a strict replica, it is a homage to the golden era of British motor racing, as it is on lines of a1950 grand prix car. As such there is a need to have an earlier style engine to retain the character and style of the car. It has been designed for jaguar XJ6 series 1,2 or 3, 4.2 litre straight 6 engine with period triple carburettors, Such an engine arrangement would be impossible to meet the current mot and proposed emission criteria controls. The build commenced having only after the engine obtain the historic age verification to allow emissions to be tested on an age related basis.

It could be said that the alternative would be to modify the chassis, mechanics, rear axle, electrics and body panels to accommodate a more modern engine. As well as incurring unimaginable expense, such a change would detract from the vehicle, the whole design, the original character of the car, and therefore its sale-ability. As it would no longer reflect the period the car is paying homage to. the car not been worth a fraction on the current market resale price in excess of £40,000.

If an alternative solution is not possible as a modern jaguar straight 6 cylinder engine and axle are not available, and if they were would it increase the build cost astronomically, and as explained above have detrimental effect on the resale values?

I Would there be existing builder who after expending many hundreds if not thousands of hours and personal expense into the build would effectively have a project that would be uneconomical to continue as my projected build completion date is may years beyond the proposed implementation date.

On a wider view

Small scale manufacturers of specialist and kit cars do not form a big industry, but are unique within Europe and in fact in the world, having produced thousands of specialist cars over the last 50 years, and have become established as the world centre for this type of car.

The introduction of SVA and then IVA allowed the kit car industry to produce vehicles to a recognized safe standard – a fact borne out by the low insurance premiums that we as owners enjoy.

The introduction of the proposal would be the death of yet another small industry, and one that is unique in this country. It is another sign of the Government not supporting small industries and removing the possibility of home build engineers, Rather favouring mass production and requiring everyone to be the same.- not good.

It is important to economic growth that this industry to continues both for manufactures, the supply chain suppliers and the builders , but these current proposals could be, and many are sure will be the death of many small firms. This is not an excessive expectation, but a reality. As many have individually explained, it is the proposed change to MoT emissions standards for kit cars that would be very damaging to our cars… the older style of engines perhaps being vital to the core appeal of the model, and/or the potential costs of fitting compliant engines being so expensive as to cause sales to fall to unsustainable levels.

Many builders and manufactures have small workshops and not a vast workforce, but all have many times that number indirectly employed who have specialist skills and rely on our continued, and regular, work.

The proposal could be seen as a personal vendetta to the kit car industry and the builders as, if the old engines are in classic cars and the cars are restored, the proposals don’t apply. But if we refurbish the old engines and these are done to the same standard as applied by the classic car owner, for use in a kit car ,they do apply and have to meet current mot emission standards.

As you will notice, on a day-to-day basis there are very few classic cars on the roads and even less Kit cars, all often reserved for special occasions, days out and perhaps limited touring during the summer months.

It is not uncommon for these cars to have limited mileage insurance, typically 2000-6000 miles per year, with many not covering more than 1000 miles annually. The emissions impact by this small ‘fleet’ of cars is also tiny and does not warrant the heavy-handed controls that are being considered.

I hope that you now have a better picture of our industry and its precarious position if this legislation became enacted.

I strongly request that this part of the proposed new legislation be dropped.

Regards

Hoylegj - 18/2/18 at 10:05 PM

The way I read it as the years pass the rules for emissions will get tighter. By that time all cars will be electric or hydrogen. If we have to make.out builds meet those standards we will struggle to build anything. Your choice, respond to the consultation or not. Personally I enjoy this hobby/sport and have responded to try and keep options open for others that follow us

CTLeeds - 20/2/18 at 06:38 PM

Just had a reply to my email...

"Thank you for your recent response to our consultation on Road vehicles - Improving air quality and safety.

I can confirm that we have received your comments and that your response will be carefully considered as part of the consultation".

The results of the consultation will be published alongside the consultation documents, at:

Yours sincerely

Robert Lloyd Smith

Mr Robert Lloyd Smith | International Vehicle Standards, Department for Transport

stig mills - 21/2/18 at 06:09 PM

If the proposals are adopted;

1. Kits that use donors made in the last 25 years will not be affected.

2. Kit cars that are currently registered will not be affected if the proposals are adopted.

3. New car MOT standards as ref in the proposal means BET (basic emission test). To comply a CAT will be needed.

4. The majority of kits manufactured today use post 1995 engines and therefore comply with BET.

5. Kits currently under construction with carbs may struggle to pass but with a CAT it may be possible.

6. Kits that use engines over 25 years old may struggle to pass but with a CAT it may be possible.

7. Currently a kit with a post 1995 engine goes through a far more strict test than one with a 60's engine but that may change.

russbost - 21/2/18 at 07:56 PM

"3. New car MOT standards as ref in the proposal means BET (basic emission test). To comply a CAT will be needed." - yes, but what will MoT emission standards be in, say, 3 years time - no one knows, agree to this at your peril!

PorkChop - 21/2/18 at 09:48 PM

Well, they haven't changed for almost 16 years, when OBD / Euro 3 came in, beginning in 2000. Some food for thought and for people to draw their own conclusions - the Euro standard has just entered it's sixth iteration since then (Euro 3, 4, 5, 5b, 6b, 6c and recently 6d Temp).

russbost - 22/2/18 at 08:06 AM

Well, if it hasn't changed in 16 years it obviously isn't going to is it? No, wait, by 2040 (supposedly) ALL new cars will be electric, so what MoT regs do you think we'll have then? Is it not feasible (likely perhaps) that we may have changes a long way b4 that? Why take a chance?

& it still doesn't change the position for the poor sod with a several 1000 £££'s worth of carb'ed V8 sitting in his garage & no way of finishing the car b4 June - wake up & smell the roses!

clive7883 - 22/2/18 at 09:19 AM

I can't believe people are being so lax about this, if this goes through, it will be the start of the end for kit cars, hot rods and even modified road cars, re mapping etc will all eventually be affected !!!

CTLeeds - 22/2/18 at 10:33 AM

I'm not sure that many people are being "lax" about it. I know many that have emailed to make their point. I also know some people are in agreement with the proposed changes going forward. I think the real issue lies in the timescale in which any changes are due to be made, that's the unfair bit as I see it. My car will probably be alright ('97 BMW 2.8 with EFI and CAT) come IVA day but I emailed to make the point on behalf of other people that are building using carbs, no cats etc.

Personally I think it won't happen but that's just my opinion and I'm usually wrong.

stig mills - 22/2/18 at 10:44 AM

MOT emissions are changing on 20th May.

The new rules will allow kit cars built based on donors up to 25 years old to pass.

Those with older engines or carbs will need a CAT and then they may pass.

The levels to achieve are quoted below from the new MOT manual.

"The emissions limits to be met are specified for both the fast and normal idle tests.
At fast idle, CO must be at or less than 0.2%, HC at or less than 200 parts per million
(ppm), and the lambda value(1) must be between 0.97 and 1.03. At normal idle, CO
must be at or less than 0.3%."

chillis - 22/2/18 at 01:07 PM

Not me - I was writing to the magazines (those being the days before internet was in such commonplace use) saying exactly that it was the thin end of the wedge, for exactly the reasons that have transpired... that it would give an easy mechanism by which the Regs could be progressively tightened and made more obstructive, without the ability for effective resistance, to the point where the industry ceased to be viable.
We were sold a dummy, with SVA - the ultimate outcome was inevitable.

To be fair, my concerns were based mainly on the similar system for homebuilt aircraft, where the UK has a delightfully Catch-22 situation that you're not allowed to build a design unless it has proven successful over so many flight hours, but you're not allowed to fly a prototype to gain those hours - leaving us only able to pick up designs second-hand from other countries.

I firmly believe that you can't have a progressive and innovative engineering industry without some risk, and there was never any evidence that kit or self-built cars were particularly dangerous - just the opposite, from the insurance figures; they were always a very good risk.

Congratulations, though - you've obviously got the system that you wanted: nannied to the point where even the most trivial risk is removed... including environmental risk.

Whilst I agree with what you say and there were many of us at the time who felt the same, the reality is if the SVA had been opposed with any degree of vigour then kit cars would have been banned there and then. The government was aware that the EU whole vehicle type approval would outlaw kit cars and they could have just said there's nothing we can do and that would have been it.
By working with the government we were able to get concessions the allowed kit cars to continue at least for a while. Sadly kit cars, modified cars and anything non-mainstream will come under continued pressure as the drive to reduce cars and personal transport is now a major government aim (this is not a pollution related issue though the government will use that to justify anything that is perceived as unpopular.)
Individual and individualised transport has had its day sooner or later we all have to accept that

Sam_68 - 22/2/18 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chillis
...the reality is if the SVA had been opposed with any degree of vigour then kit cars would have been banned there and then.

...Individual and individualised transport has had its day sooner or later we all have to accept that

I don't necessarily disagree, but the best chance we had to resist 'legislative creep' was pre-SVA, when there was a large and vibrant industry, and we could genuinely say that it was worth thousands of jobs and £millions to the economy, as well as (back then) feeding innovation and skills into other sectors of the transport industry.

But as you say, having (rightly or wrongly) meekly accepted SVA, the rest becomes inevitable.

The industry is a mere shadow of its former self, and resistance to what amounts to a very mild rationalisation of the Regs in the form of these latest changes will merely prod the sleeping monster of central Government into realising we're simply not worth the trouble any more, for a relative handful of oily-fingered eccentrics, and the plug will be pulled on IVA, period.

NS Dev - 22/2/18 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hoylegj
Everyone should be responding online to the consultation and asking for Cars that go via BIVA to be exempt. Otherwise even cats and fuel injection may not get you through as time goes on and the standards become even harder. remember they are going to be linked it to emissions rules at the test date I.e. Therefore Amateur biulds will find this harder and harder as time goes on

so please respond to the consultation ask for BIVA exemption

[Edited on 18/2/18 by Hoylegj]

Exactly this!! While the consultation refers to "kit cars" in several places. These are not defined in the rest of the IVA system and thus are not a defined entity. While with my "locostbuilders" hat on I know that world is ok as it is exempt from WLTP, with my business (car building in general not necessarily kits) hat on, much of my work could end up not exempt, and that would be a game changing business terminating concept!

I have written in for clarification and to point out that the exemption from WLTP needs to be for all BIVA vehicles

russbost - 22/2/18 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stig mills
MOT emissions are changing on 20th May.

The new rules will allow kit cars built based on donors up to 25 years old to pass.

Those with older engines or carbs will need a CAT and then they may pass.

The levels to achieve are quoted below from the new MOT manual.

"The emissions limits to be met are specified for both the fast and normal idle tests.
At fast idle, CO must be at or less than 0.2%, HC at or less than 200 parts per million
(ppm), and the lambda value(1) must be between 0.97 and 1.03. At normal idle, CO
must be at or less than 0.3%."

Yes, but Stuart, what are the MoT limits going to be in 2020, 2022 etc - the point is we don't know, so, agree with the proposals as they stand & you are agreeing to rules you know nothing of!

Sam_68 - 22/2/18 at 04:03 PM

quote:
...what are the MoT limits going to be in 2020, 2022 etc - the point is we don't know

But it's a safe bet that they will not be so strict as to cause anything that's not ridiculously dirty by the standards of the day to fail.

As Stuart has pointed out, the MOT criteria for 'current' vehicles are easily complied with by anything with fuel injection and a catalyst.

The MOT emissions test will never be a particularity strict standard, compared to that set by emissions testing for type approval - its purpose is to identify vehicles that have fallen into such a poor state that they need to be removed from the roads, so its level will always be set such that only vehicles that are considered completely intolerable and unroadworthy will be failed.

If you enjoy paranoid scaremongering and speculation about what might happen, you need to go to the Niche Vehicle Network symposium and listen to the talk of bringing in proper low-volume testing of emissions so that smaller manufacturers can 'benefit' from the normal CO2-related taxation classes. It would 'only' cost circa £7000 per vehicle type, and a lot of the smaller manufacturers are enthusiastic about the idea, because the low weight of their products actually makes them capable of gaining very attractive tax banding.

No, we don't know what might happen in 2022... but if we resist a rationalisation of the Regs now, it could just as easily be a proper test for CO2 banding of everything in a couple of years, when it becomes obvious how far out of step the kit car market has become with the mainstream. Needless to say, that really would screw self-building - to an almost Australian level of cost and difficulty.

We're getting away lightly with the offer of MOT limits as the testing criteria, so grab it while you can!

russbost - 22/2/18 at 05:56 PM

Well, as usual Sam you are obviously 100% right as I've never, ever known you to be wrong about anything, I suggest you should write in & tell the powers that be what a marvellous idea it all is. They'll be able to put your reply on a pile all of it's own - where it belongs!

Sam_68 - 22/2/18 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Well, as usual Sam you are obviously 100% right as I've never, ever known you to be wrong about anything, I suggest you should write in & tell the powers that be what a marvellous idea it all is. They'll be able to put your reply on a pile all of it's own - where it belongs!

Why thank you, Russ - and I already have; once in a private capacity, once as a member of the NVN.

snapper - 23/2/18 at 04:58 PM

The issue is those in the middle of the build process, they will be hugely disadvantaged and it specifically those people I would like he collective to consider and support them even if it just to give a longer period for them to complete their builds
I cannot see why you could not help your fellow builders!

joneh - 23/2/18 at 05:28 PM

quote:
The issue is those in the middle of the build process, they will be hugely disadvantaged and it specifically those people I would like he collective to consider and support them even if it just to give a longer period for them to complete their builds

That's me. Halfway through refurbing my xflow with twin 40s.

[Edited on 23/2/18 by joneh]

[Edited on 23/2/18 by joneh]

Sam_68 - 23/2/18 at 06:02 PM

quote:

I don't think anyone disputes that, or would fail to support transitional arrangements.

That could be as simple as registering your 'in progress' build with the DVLA, giving them details of the type of car you are building (assigning it a chassis number), the engine it is fitted with, and the reason you need an exemption. You could then take as long as you like with the build, and when it comes to IVA it would be tested under the old rules.

I am certain that the handful of manufacturers whose products are genuinely reliant on archaic engines (Chesil and Suffolk Sports Cars are the two that immediately spring to mind) will be seeking similar transitional arrangements to give them time to redevelop their products for more modern engines

russbost - 23/2/18 at 06:47 PM

"Originally posted by snapper
I cannot see why you could not help your fellow builders!"

Sam "I don't think anyone disputes that, or would fail to support transitional arrangements"

Sam "We're getting away lightly with the offer of MOT limits as the testing criteria, so grab it while you can!"

Sam "and I already have; once in a private capacity, once as a member of the NVN" in response to "I suggest you should write in & tell the powers that be what a marvellous idea it all is"

Sam "resistance to what amounts to a very mild rationalisation of the Regs in the form of these latest changes will merely prod the sleeping monster of central Government into realising we're simply not worth the trouble any more, for a relative handful of oily-fingered eccentrics, and the plug will be pulled on IVA, period."

Make your mind up Sam - you can't have all of the above statements as being correct! & by your own previous comments & apparent support which you claim to have written in about, you clearly do NOT support any transitional arrangements. Good Grief - you surely cannot possibly have got something wrong????? No doubt you will be able to put me straight as to exactly how the contradictory statements, all from yourself & one swiftly followed by another are in fact not contradictory at all, but in fact compliment one another perfectly!

Also I'd like to see some evidence for "The MOT emissions test will never be a particularity strict standard"

& I'm now really annoyed with myself as I've responded & let you drag the post totally off topic again, I can only hope that people find our bickering sufficiently entertaining to get more people reading the thread! I'm sure they are capable of making their own minds up as to what will or will not help the industry

Sam_68 - 23/2/18 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Make your mind up Sam - you can't have all of the above statements as being correct!

Yes I can. Which of the statements you've quoted are in any way mutually exclusive?

The responses I've sent say that I think the proposed change is an excellent idea, going forward, but that it would be beneficial to have transitional arrangements for those individuals who already have a build in progress, and for those companies whose standard products are currently dependent on archaic engines.

It really is very simple.

There's really no need to get your knickers in a twist - we've even seen poor old Mistrale put his project (into which I'm assuming he has committed many hundreds of hours) up for sale because of this nonsensical scaremongering, when there was really no need to do so.

I am genuinely interested to know how you get to:

quote:
Originally posted by russbost...you clearly do NOT support any transitional arrangements

quote:
...Certainly agree that a period of grace would be nice, but if we don't get it, life goes on...

quote:
...By all means argue for a reasonable transition period, but I have no problem with being asked to comply with minimum levels of roadworthyness for cars of equivalent age in the longer term.

As with the proposed legislation itself, you seem to be reading one thing, but then interpreting it as something completely different, and unnecessarily working yourself into a blue funk in the process.

russbost - 24/2/18 at 10:28 AM

Sam, you say you've written in to support the proposed legislation, yet you say you support the bulk of the rest of us in saying that, AT MINIMUM, we should have a transition period, if you can't see that those 2 statements appear totally contrary, then I can only suggest you go to Specsavers. "will merely prod the sleeping monster of central Government into realising we're simply not worth the trouble" would certainly appear to be a direct suggestion for the rest of us NOT to raise objections

You've said several times that I don't represent the rest of LCB or indeed the industry on objecting to this - I have never suggested so far that I was or am representing anything or anybody other than myself, however, it would appear from response both here & elsewhere that my views are much more in line with most others than yours are, you appear to take a contrary view to just about everyone

I am not as you suggest in a "blue funk" about anything, I just think that agreeing, without any sort of opposition, to legislation that we actually have no way of knowing what it will be in a few years time, is just plain daft. I am really pretty unconcerned at the legislation with regard to it's direct affect on me, but do not see that as a reason to not support others

Having just had the AGM at Essex Kitcar Club, I CAN unequivocally say, that I have the support of everyone who attended the AGM (& several who sent apologies for absence) & that there was not one single person who dissented. We will most certainly be putting the club name behind the bulk objection that Adam at CKC is putting in.

Perhaps you could explain how you think I'm reading one thing & interpreting another?

Maybe it's time you took a holiday Sam, I think you need one! I would imagine the bulk of LCB members would hope it's a long one to somewhere where there's no internet connection ...............

Now for anyone still reading, you still have around 6 days to get an objection to these heavy handed & ill advised proposals, I would remind everyone again that you can reply online, apparently not quite as hard as I thought, people have said all irrelevant Q's can be ignored or simply answer no to them, or write in, as many of us have to

Robert Lloyd-Smith
33 Horseferry Road
London SW1P 4DR

softfeet - 24/2/18 at 12:10 PM

This issue is being discussed on many internet forums, as you might guess.

I have noticed this on the UK Cobra Club Forum. See post number 164 on page 17.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59824&page=17

Response from DfT:

"The proposal was to bring this into force at the same time as the rest of the regulation, likely to be 1 September 2018. However due to the volumes of comments received, many of which advocate a postponement of say 2 years, we will need to re-consider this. In fact the whole element of the proposal which affects kit cars is likely to come under scrutiny given the vast volumes of negative comment, so it may be removed altogether."

NTDWM, I am just a lurker over on the Cobra Forum.

Sam_68 - 24/2/18 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Sam, you say you've written in to support the proposed legislation, yet you say you support the bulk of the rest of us in saying that, AT MINIMUM, we should have a transition period, if you can't see that those 2 statements appear totally contrary, then I can only suggest you go to Specsavers.

Russ, the source of your confusion, as I have said, is that your eyes are reading one thing, and your brain is interpreting another.

YOU have introduced the words 'AT MINIMUM' (in capital letters, no less!). At no time have I used those words or said any such thing.

IF YOU MUST CONTINUE TROLLING, PLEASE DO SO WITHOUT FABRICATING WORDS THAT I HAVE NEVER USED.

What I said, if you read slowly and carefully, using you finger to follow the words, if necessary, is:

"I don't think anyone...would fail to support transitional arrangements"
"a period of grace would be nice, but if we don't get it, life goes on.."
"By all means argue for a reasonable transition period..."

None of those statements suggests that I will only support the legislation if AT MINIMUM there is a transition period.

Supporting those who wish to argue for such an amendment is not the same as being unwilling to accept the legislation without it, except, perhaps to your twisted and irrational logic.

Indeed, I would have thought the second of my quotes above makes it pretty clear even to the most argumentative and obtuse of village idiots that if no transitional period is offered, then I would be pretty relaxed about accepting that outcome.

russbost - 24/2/18 at 05:58 PM

Ah, so we're down to name calling now!

You are truly unbelievable, I'm the Troll??? Really, I suppose coming from the Arch Troll among Trolls I should take that as a compliment! Remind me, how many forums is it you've been banned from?

What I said, if you read slowly and carefully, using you finger to follow the words, if necessary, is:

"you support the bulk of the rest of us in saying that, AT MINIMUM, we should have a transition period" the phrase "AT MINIMUM" refers NOT to anything you've said, but to what the bulk of people on this thread have said - or is your understanding of English so poor that that is completely beyond you?
I would love to see the response you've sent in to the consultation as apparently it both supports the proposals as they are & yet also supports a transitional period (which most certainly is contrary to the proposals)

Anyway, back to the thread, & back on topic, I think the response from Softfeet found on the Cobra forum:-

"The proposal was to bring this into force at the same time as the rest of the regulation, likely to be 1 September 2018. However due to the volumes of comments received, many of which advocate a postponement of say 2 years, we will need to re-consider this. In fact the whole element of the proposal which affects kit cars is likely to come under scrutiny given the vast volumes of negative comment, so it may be removed altogether." is really encouraging as it would definitely imply that the powers that be are actually listening & do take notice of both the volume of objections & what they are objecting to, I would strongly encourage anyone that has any objection to the proposals as they stand to get a response in to the consultation b4 the cut off date of Mar 2nd

Sam_68 - 24/2/18 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Remind me, how many forums is it you've been banned from?

Erm... none? I left PistonHeads back in, ooh, about 2013, of my own volition. If conclusion-jumping was an Olympic sport, you'd be gold medal material.

quote:
"AT MINIMUM" refers NOT to anything you've said, but to what the bulk of people on this thread have said - or is your understanding of English so poor that that is completely beyond you?

I suggest you go back and read each and every post on this thread. There's nothing wrong with my English, but I think you'll find your statistical skills need a little work. Either that, or we're back to what Russthinks was said, after he's added a few WORDS IN CAPITAL LETTERS in his own head.

quote:
I would love to see the response you've sent in to the consultation as apparently it both supports the proposals as they are & yet also supports a transitional period (which most certainly is contrary to the proposals)

I didn't keep a copy, I'm afraid, but it was pretty much exactly, word for word, what I said above: that "I think the proposed change is an excellent idea, going forward, but that it would be beneficial to have transitional arrangements for those individuals who already have a build in progress, and for those companies whose standard products are currently dependent on archaic engines."

There was a bit more about why I think it's a good idea (it removes the encouragement for individual builders to use old, high-emissions engines as a 'dodge' to make MOT tests and performance tuning easier; it sets a regime that's in line with acceptable standards of performance for other newly registered cars, without being too stringent or requiring too complex or costly a testing process, it maintains the social acceptability of the industry in the eyes of those who see overall emissions reduction as a global priority), but nothing that changed the basic gist of the above.

If you're not a Troll, then the only assumption I can make is that you're somewhere on the autistic spectrum (and that's not intended as an insult, merely a statement of fact). Do you really see everything anyone says in such black-and-white terms? Can you not get you head around the idea that:

quote:
...Certainly agree that a period of grace would be nice, but if we don't get it, life goes on...

Means NEITHER
"...you clearly do NOT support any transitional arrangements"
NOR
"We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them the consultation process and at the IVA test centre. We shall fight them in the corridors of the Department of Transport, and the House of Commons. We shall NEVER surrender!"

It means that normal, ordinary people, who don't live on Planet Russ, are capable of saying, "yeah, a period of grace sounds like a good idea - why not let's suggest it and see if they're willing to be flexible on that point?".

sdh2903 - 24/2/18 at 07:49 PM

Jesus guys. Get a room for f**k sake.

Edwardo - 24/2/18 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by softfeet
This issue is being discussed on many internet forums, as you might guess.

I have noticed this on the UK Cobra Club Forum. See post number 164 on page 17.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59824&page=17

Response from DfT:

"The proposal was to bring this into force at the same time as the rest of the regulation, likely to be 1 September 2018. However due to the volumes of comments received, many of which advocate a postponement of say 2 years, we will need to re-consider this. In fact the whole element of the proposal which affects kit cars is likely to come under scrutiny given the vast volumes of negative comment, so it may be removed altogether."

NTDWM, I am just a lurker over on the Cobra Forum.

Thanks for posting this softfeet - This is a positive development!

Postponement would be great - but fingers crossed they do remove it altogether!

ianclark1275 - 27/2/18 at 01:07 AM

Ive logged on for the first time in ages to see what all the fuss was about the emissions regulations

it appears that the Locostbuilders forum is alive and well, and Ive not contributed for 86 months and by the time I reached the end of the comments I had an understanding of the new rules and had already sent my online reply in regarding some grace period for the older carb engine builds still in progress (my dads) - thanks

i bought the carbs for his engine in 2004....

so we are technically 14 years and counting.

donor Mk11 escort shell was thrown in a skip that's how long ago it was

the chassis was finished about 10 years ago

what we need is something like crowd building

I have driven it in the street and we have all the remaining parts, so its just time and moving boxes of washing powder/random boxes stored on top of the car.

it will be a barn find before long

i agree new builds should move with the times, like everything really, its called progress, but, to change the rules during peoples builds is a bit of double standards. Major projects in the UK are not affected by standards changes mid way through as the costs would go up. Id already expect the DFT to know that, maybe not.

what they have done now is potentially put a spike the IVA booking process system that maybe wasnt all that efficent anyway by the sounds of it. so our first application will be even slower....

does anyone go down to the restoration club in washington on here?

that was the ony place i did any work on classic cars as you always had a deadline to meet on the hire of the facilitys/bay

maybe thats an option..

thanks

IC

Sam_68 - 27/2/18 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ianclark1275
... to change the rules during peoples builds is a bit of double standards. Major projects in the UK are not affected by standards changes mid way through as the costs would go up. Id already expect the DFT to know that, maybe not.

It's not a difficult problem for them to fix, though, if they want to.

The Building Regulations are typically updated every 2 or 3 years, and nobody gets in a tizzy about it, for the simple reason that anything that has passed the basic design stage continues to be built to the old regs.

It's a bit different, because with buildings (at least complicated ones) you need to get plans approved before you start to build, so you've some evidence of a design approval date... but all it would take with IVA is that builders of ongoing projects register with their IVA test centre now, providing some evidence of their build (the same receipts for major components that they'll need when applying for a registration, maybe), and they could then continue to build to the old regs for as long as it takes.

russbost - 27/2/18 at 09:01 AM

I'll still go with the fact that we have a decent chance of either removing or, at minimum, amending the proposals; as posted above:-

Note, it says VAST volumes of NEGATIVE comments, PLEASE keep them going in guys we still have a few days, encourage any local clubs you are members of to also add their concerns, the more individual objections the more likely this is to be squashed

Ok, it's still only going to be a stay of execution as they are intent on outlawing diesels by 2030 & petrol by 2040, but we might as well enjoy our vehicles as long as we are able to

I'll post the address again as I'm sure many people haven't read the whole thread

Robert Lloyd-Smith
33 Horseferry Road
London SW1P 4DR

WesBrooks - 27/2/18 at 02:33 PM

My response to him mailed today, guaranteed delivery for tomorrow. I appreciate my centiment won't match everyones here, particually those who want to build the simplest car possible. Biggest thing for me is they've made consessions for the vehicle converter people but none for kits.

Dear Robert Lloyd­Smith

Road Vehicles: Improving air quality and safety

I am writing to raise questions about the draft report that proposes changes to the emissions testing for IVA and submit a formal objection to the neglect these proposals appear to show to the kit car industry in comparison to mult­stage build based SMEs and vintage/classic rebuilds.

The report proposes an exemption for multi­stage build SMEs acknowledging the cost implications of these changes with receipts proving vehicle purchase before the implementation date. There is however no similar exemption for kit car builders whose projects are typically on far longer time scales and on tighter budgets.

The kit car industry has been a development ground for many well known originally British manufacturers who started off as kit car manufacturers such as TVR, Lotus, and Ginetta. Without significant safe guarding the industry is likely to suffer significantly, directly effecting a large number of supporting SMEs over the country and the death of the industry would have negligible difference to total UK emissions.

In direct relation to the text of the document it does not clearly address the four different routes to vehicle registration for the builders:

1. All parts new, heading for a new registration. This does allow for a number of major components to be re­used if they are fully refurbished.
2. If enough parts are re­used from the original vehicle then an age related registration is granted.
3. If too few of the parts come from a single donor then a Q plate is issued.

I believe the MOT testing to be related to the age of the registration plate number (when there is not a specific entry in the MOT guide book) whereas new MOT regulations relating to emissions do not tend to be retrospectively applied to a generation of vehicles to the point where they’d be forced off the road. So current MOT standards could be interpreted as the MOT tests that the donor vehicle would have been subjected to if still on the road.

The proposal seems to focus on the use of older engines (perhaps targeting carburettor and / or pre catalytic converter) but is ambiguous to what is actually meant by “date of registration” in relation to age related registrations.

In addition, “We are proposing that for kit cars, compliance with the MOT emissions standards current at the date of registration will be required” leaves amateur builders in an impossible situation where we are needing to double guess what the government is going to do over the period of time it would take to go from design to IVA test. This proposal itself demonstrated the short time scale between proposals being released to the general public and the proposals being implemented. Few kit car builds fit within a year!

It does appear that the kit car industry is being unfairly targeted here in comparison to the vintage rebuild or multi­stage build industries. The comparatively small number of vehicles within this market would suggest that directly targeting this section is not going to result in an insignificant change in the total UK emissions.

While I personally believe that the days for carburettors on new builds has past and kit car builders should consider moving over to more modern EFI engines, forcing ambiguous changes on us like this and in such as short time frame without offering similar concessions as offered to other sub­ sections is wholly inappropriate.

Perhaps vehicle excise duty is a far fairer way to tackle this issue?

[Edited on 28/2/18 by WesBrooks]

WesBrooks - 27/2/18 at 03:46 PM

Spot the obvious mistake! Four routes mentioned. I was going to discuss the use the same registration route if you bypassed the IVA by keeping the same chassis, but scrubbed around it as since it doesn't need an IVA I thought it would confuse matters. Alas forgot to chamge four to three!

Cock up #2. Following sentence should have been significant rather than insignificant:
The comparatively small number of vehicles within this market would suggest that directly targeting this section is not going to result in an insignificant change in the total UK emissions.

Any how, not posting here for a grammatical review, merely sharing what I've sent in. Writing letters like this aren't easy when you've a ten month old intent on slapping your keyboard!

[Edited on 28/2/18 by WesBrooks]

NS Dev - 28/2/18 at 10:59 AM

As I mentioned in my post further up the thread, my issue is slightly different in that my business does not chiefly build "kit cars" as such, but we rebuild and radically modify road cars, to the extent that some are then actually NEW vehicles with all-new parts. These regulation changes could have the effect of meaning that because these are not technically "kit cars" then they would have to go through the full WLTP process.....forget tricky MOT's and multi stage cats, thats easy!! The difficult bit would be funding the potential millions of pounds worth of data acquisition and testing needed to get the WLTP data.

As I stated to Dft in my response, what we ALL need is a clarification of what constitutes a "kit car" and I pushed for this categorisation to mean any vehicle currently eligible for BIVA rather than full IVA.

Hopefully this will be the end result

Then hopefully the rules regarding that category will remain as they are.

WesBrooks - 28/2/18 at 11:12 AM

Problems I was trying to address:

Pace of change.
Lack of clarity.
Inconsistent approach.
No delay in implemtation or concessions for active projects.

Like others have said I think kit cars are being hammered as it's an easy, low fruit target.

jps - 1/3/18 at 12:25 PM

The opportunity to respond on this closes TOMORROW - 11:45 PM. You can email to ivs.consult@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Reading other peoples responses that they then posted on here helped me to write what I sent in by email. So here's my response incase it helps anyone else.

"I am writing in response to the consultation on the proposed changes contained within 'Road vehicles: improving air quality and safety'.

On the whole I would comment that I am very supportive of efforts to improve the environment and to reduce the environmental impact of motor vehicles.

I would like to make specific comment on, and object to, the proposed changes which would apply to 'kit cars' which are subject to the IVA process - specifically that referenced at 4.11 / Question 10 in the consultation document - which would remove the possibility that vehicles presented at IVA can have their emissions standards tested against emissions standards relevant to the year of manufacture of the engine.

I have been building a 'kit car' over a period of several years, as is often the case with this hobby. It is a replica of the Lotus 7 and, as such I am building the car using a relatively low powered petrol engine, running on carburettors, to maintain the character and style of the car on which it is based. Such an engine arrangement would be impossible to meet the current MOT and proposed emission criteria controls. In building my car I am effectively recycling many parts of the 1985 Ford Sierra that I purchased as the 'donor car', which would include reusing the engine from that vehicle in it's original form. The consultation document does not clearly specify a timescale for implementation for the changes, but once implemented the change would most likely mean that it would not be possible for me to pass the IVA test. It would appear from the timescales for other changes that are defined in the document that I could expect this change to be implemented within only a few months, which would not give me enough time to complete my build and present my car for IVA before the change.

I'm well aware that I am not the only person who would be affected by the change in this way and would note that, although a relatively niche hobby, as well as this change being felt at the individual 'builder' level there is a sizeable UK sector which supports amateur car building, both in terms of 'kit' providers, but also many small businesses which provide parts or components (bespoke manifolds for example). This proposed change, especially if introduced quickly, may have some immediate impact on wider industy, such as redundancy of stock or products, but may also undermine longer term confidence in the customers who often enter into building of 'kit cars' with the expectation they may take many months if not years to complete their project. They may be far less willing to do so if there is experience of significant regulatory change being implemented at short notice.

I also note that these changes will remove the potential to 'recycle' engines from older vehicles (as I am) but will not have any form of retrospective application. I think this is correct, as the document notes, the number of older vehicles are reducing on an ongoing basis and even in the production of 'kit cars' many engines are being utilised which will meet the proposed standards. However this highlights the point that, in real terms, the longer term environmental impact of these proposed changes is likely to be insignificant. 'Kit cars', most of which are run at low annual mileages in any event, are less and less likely to be built with 'older engines' into the future. It is also worth considering that the proposal may simply mean that car enthusiasts who wish to use vehicles with 'older' engines may simply restore/maintain 'older' vehicles rather than recycle them into 'kit cars', nullifying the presumed intention to remove older engines from use.

I therefore object to the proposal on several basis:

The proposed change would disproportionately affect vehicle enthusiasts who wish to recycle 'older' engines into 'kit-cars', in comparison to any motorist who is simply using an older vehicle or who runs a 'classic car'. This is inconsistent and 'kit-car' applications should remain allowable as should remain the case for any other 'older' vehicle.

The environmental impact of this change is likely to be minimal, despite significant potential for personal and industry impact.

The change will remove the possibility for 'replica' kit cars which reproduce 'classic' cars (such as those built by http://www.suffolksportscars.com/) to be produced, which will be a disappointing removal of an accessible way for some of the general public to own and enjoy vehicles which are otherwise the domain only of the very wealthy.

I appreciate that there will be a variety of views on this subject and many responses to the consultation. I would therefore request that, if the final decision is that the change to which I object is to implemented, the timescale for implementation should be deferred for at least 2 years to allow completion of current projects and a period of adjustment for the wider industry."

joneh - 3/3/18 at 09:20 AM

Anyone know how long it'll take to analyse our responses?
I have £200 of xflow bearings or an old Mondeo to buy

Peter Perfect - 3/3/18 at 09:33 PM

The governments guidance on consultation principles states

I. Consultation should facilitate scrutiny
Publish any response on the same page on gov.uk as the original consultation, and ensure it is clear when the government has responded to the consultation. Explain the responses that have been received from consultees and how these have informed the policy. State how many responses have been received.

J. Government responses to consultations should be published in a timely fashion
Publish responses within 12 weeks of the consultation or provide an explanation why this is not possible. Where consultation concerns a statutory instrument publish responses before or at the same time as the instrument is laid, except in exceptional circumstances. Allow appropriate time between closing the consultation and implementing policy or legislation.

Kevin - 4/3/18 at 07:03 PM

I have a Locost Xflow ready for IVA application, what is the chance of getting it tested before April, assuming it goes through. How long does it take on average to get a test date. Surely it would be April 2019 to change?

joneh - 4/3/18 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
I have a Locost Xflow ready for IVA application, what is the chance of getting it tested before April, assuming it goes through. How long does it take on average to get a test date. Surely it would be April 2019 to change?

Where did April come from?