Board logo

Power steering mod
Tazzzzman1 - 23/8/19 at 02:20 PM

I'm wanting to upgrade a Marcos Mantula Spyder with power steering as it's so heavy at low speeds (need forearms like popeye )
I am thinking of using the Corsa C power steering unit/ column with a seperate ECU controller. I was wondering if anypne else had done something similar and used this setup? If so which parts from the Corsa steering column did you use/ save?
Might be a tight squeeze though as not too much space to fit it in.

motorcycle_mayhem - 23/8/19 at 08:07 PM

I have a late 2006 Corsa 1.8 SXi+ (i.e. one of the last of the 'C's, the hot one too).

It's fate is uncertain, having been hit up the rear by a texting idiot. A choice of scrapping/selling it whole, breaking it slowly or taking it on an upcoming trackday (aiming to get it on it's roof..., yes, seriously).

If any of the above preamble sounds something you could work with, drop me a line.

Rich J - 24/8/19 at 04:08 AM

Speak to Roger at Power Steering Solutions - He 's fitted this stuff to all sorts including classic Astons

Power Steering Solutions

lsdweb - 25/8/19 at 09:06 AM

It's a relatively simple job. I've just fitted a corsa column to my Audi TT hillclimb car.

Just make sure you've got the whole column and ecu (it bolts to the column). Then you can buy a controller from the Portuguese chap on Ebay or one from Roger Hicks (Power Steering Solutions). Roger is down the road from me and does a lot of systems!

fregis - 25/8/19 at 06:39 PM

Are two column versions: adjustuble and non adjustble. Also corsa, meriva column have different shapes - choose what fits best in your place.

I don't use any emulator, just connected rpm wire and works. Disadvantage - i can't adjust "helping" strength, always on max. Also sometimes gets error - no speed.

Tazzzzman1 - 27/8/19 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
It's a relatively simple job. I've just fitted a corsa column to my Audi TT hillclimb car.

Just make sure you've got the whole column and ecu (it bolts to the column). Then you can buy a controller from the Portuguese chap on Ebay or one from Roger Hicks (Power Steering Solutions). Roger is down the road from me and does a lot of systems!

Thanks yes I have the complete column and ECU. Only issue I think I may have is space. Will need to strip it down to look at properly over the winter. Might give Roger a call if I get stuck