Board logo

Front suspension
planetester - 27/5/20 at 04:37 PM

I may be asking for a lot of help in the coming months, has anybody got a decent picture of a locost front suspension, Arms, Pivots, coilovers, track rods that has recently passed the IVA, in the 10 years ive been away lots of things have change, was going to use hoses and shrink sleeving but that has been outlawed.

thanks in advance

coyoteboy - 27/5/20 at 04:42 PM

Hoses and shrink sleeving for what?!

planetester - 27/5/20 at 05:09 PM

Track rod ends

russbost - 27/5/20 at 06:21 PM

Not worth faffing with anything else when this sort of thing is readily available for peanuts

Linky

Deckman001 - 27/5/20 at 09:07 PM

You can just about see the track rod ends covered by what Russ says

Description
Description

Jason

SteveWalker - 27/5/20 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Not worth faffing with anything else when this sort of thing is readily available for peanuts

Linky

But worth looking elsewhere, they are just cable gland shrouds. From memory, 20S is about 26mm ID and are available for just £2.99 for a pair, plus the unneeded glands from Screwfix - Linky There are tables of gland sizes and nut dimensions available for checking online.

Which of course you can pick up within an hour or so as click-and-collect if you have a local store.

[Edited on 27/5/20 by SteveWalker]

planetester - 28/5/20 at 09:16 AM

Thanks, ordered
Looking at the IVA manual section 16(Exterior projections) Fig 5 page 10, does it mean the bottom of the coilovers and adjuster dont need protecting

russbost - 28/5/20 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by planetester
Thanks, ordered
Looking at the IVA manual section 16(Exterior projections) Fig 5 page 10, does it mean the bottom of the coilovers and adjuster dont need protecting

Anything which is enclosed between the A/V section of the upper & lower wishbones is exempt from the sharp edge test

G13BLocost - 28/5/20 at 07:07 PM

What do you mean by outlawed? I had planned on using a few layers of thick heat shrink to smooth out my tierod joints. Anything official on this?

russbost - 28/5/20 at 07:17 PM

Anything protecting a sharp edge must be "durable, serviceable & permanent" heat shrink fails on the serviceable part as when you asjust tracking it will get knackered & to replace you'd need to remove the TRE, hence many folks would just leave it off, whereas with the cable dhrouds you can slide back & re cable tie after adjustment

G13BLocost - 28/5/20 at 07:48 PM

That sucks. Given that it's going all fall off on the trailer ride home...

planetester - 29/5/20 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for the answers, I'm much happier now