Board logo

DVLA Radically Altered Vehicle Route
John Bonnett - 25/6/23 at 05:20 PM

As some of you will know, I am scratch building a body to fit to a Reliant Kitten chassis. I am hoping to take the DVLA Radically Altered Vehicle route which, if it qualifies for the mandatory 8 points, will retain the identity of the Kitten and i shall be able to choose a name for it. The rules are clear and the build up report seems straightforward. However, it would be really helpful to hear from anyone who has taken this path, to learn from their experience and to know if there is an inspection.

Thank you,

John

Mr Whippy - 26/6/23 at 07:41 AM

Very surprised tbh, unless you've altered the original chassis I'd not have involved the DVLA at all. I thought the whole point in using the Reliant chassis was to avoid all their BS since it was "just" a body swap. Oh well that will be fun for you...hopefully you'll manage to stay away from an IVA.

nick205 - 26/6/23 at 08:19 AM

Hi John,

Can't answer your questions (not been down that road).

Worth talking to the DVLA themselves on the phone (anonymously) to establish what's necessary?

Don't ask me for a number though or department though. If you know your local IVA test centre could you contact them direct?

John Bonnett - 26/6/23 at 08:33 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

Doing nothing is certainly one option providing a full disclosure is made to the Insurers but the RAV route seems straightforward and without doubt the correct way to go.

Unfortunately, all the local DVLA offices were closed some years ago.

rusty nuts - 26/6/23 at 09:21 AM

Might be worth a trip to your local IVA center taking all of your build pictures and having a chat?

Mr Whippy - 26/6/23 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Thank you both for your replies.

Doing nothing is certainly one option providing a full disclosure is made to the Insurers but the RAV route seems straightforward and without doubt the correct way to go.

Unfortunately, all the local DVLA offices were closed some years ago.

Just reminds me of all the hassle with forms and a police visit with my beach buggy which was again a body swap. In the end it was still called a Beetle not a beach buggy as I asked and did that make any difference with the insurance or anything else? nope, just did the usual and sent pictures to them and it was done. So what was gained in involving the DVLA, zero.

nick205 - 26/6/23 at 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Might be worth a trip to your local IVA center taking all of your build pictures and having a chat?

This was what I had in mind.

(aware that local DVLA office are a thing of the past)