Board logo

How to get rid of a Q plate.
gazza285 - 6/2/05 at 01:30 AM

Once you have a Q plate motor on the road is it possible to get rid of the Q and get an age related?

stevebubs - 6/2/05 at 02:56 AM

not strictly legally....and without going through SVA

Marcus - 6/2/05 at 12:11 PM

Not possible without re-registering, proving age of major components, re SVA, different chassis number etc!!

Once you've got a Q, you've got it for the life of the car.

Marcus

andylancaster3000 - 6/2/05 at 01:01 PM

I don't seem to understand what is wrong with a Q plate.. What are the disadvantages of having one?

Andy

David Jenkins - 6/2/05 at 01:12 PM

It's mostly status - bling, I suppose - there are significant advantages to a Q plate, especially at MOT time, as it's 'no visible smoke' instead of a proper emissions test.

David

theconrodkid - 6/2/05 at 01:42 PM

mine,s got a Q plate,cant see it from the drivers seat tho and dosnt worry me

David Jenkins - 6/2/05 at 02:18 PM

Same for me - I wanted a car to drive, and couldn't give a stuff what the reg is...

David

smart51 - 6/2/05 at 02:40 PM

the DVLA web site says that you can get rid of a Q plate if you can prove the age related origins of 2 of the emajor components. (engine, gearbox, both axles, the steering, all the suspension) . I think that they have to come off the same car. An old V5 with engine number may be sufficient.

aweekes1 - 6/2/05 at 03:45 PM

Along the same lines but slightly off topic but if you build a car with all new parts would you get a new registration (05 Reg?)

Peteff - 6/2/05 at 04:28 PM

You are allowed one major reconditioned part, usually the engine, but people have been known to get away with diffs and other parts as well as long as they look new.

DorsetStrider - 6/2/05 at 06:10 PM

ok since we are on the subject..... Does someone want to list the pro's and con's of Q plates? and how to get/avoid getting one?

DarrenW - 9/2/05 at 01:21 PM

yes please

Danozeman - 9/2/05 at 05:03 PM

Whats wrong with a Q? After all it is a kit car..

Snuggs - 9/2/05 at 07:32 PM

The only real problem with a Q plate is that you cant replace it with a personalised plate.

Clive

Marcus - 9/2/05 at 08:53 PM

Didn't I read that the good old DVLA are releasing 'cherished' Q plates?

Marcus

Snuggs - 10/2/05 at 09:06 AM

Q plates were originally reserved to signify a vehicle of indeterminate age and now DVLA are planning to sell them to whoever wants one.
This is a really STUPID move because it means that anyone can avoid the emissions test on the MOT simply by purchasing a Q plate.

flak monkey - 10/2/05 at 11:28 AM

Wont it be only for cars that have a Q plate anyway? Ie you get a Q plate...but you can change it for a different Q if you want to.

David

Jeffers_S13 - 8/6/05 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It's mostly status - bling, I suppose - there are significant advantages to a Q plate, especially at MOT time, as it's 'no visible smoke' instead of a proper emissions test.

David

Is this definately right ? excellent if it is.