Board logo

Steering wheel wobble
smart51 - 26/2/09 at 10:01 AM

I went out in my car for the first time in a while at the weekend. I noticed some steering wheel wobble at all road speeds, perhaps a total of 5° of the wheel.

What are the causes of wheel wobble? At the wheel nuts are tight and the tyre condition and pressures are fine.

Paul TigerB6 - 26/2/09 at 10:04 AM

Have you had the wheels balanced - and if so are the weights all still there?? Are the hub nuts properly tightened (jack up and try wobbling the wheel)??

cd.thomson - 26/2/09 at 10:11 AM

wheel balancing and tracking.

Tracking wobble is normally noticed at 50+mph but is generally the cause of steering wheel judder of about 5 degrees or less.

Mr Whippy - 26/2/09 at 10:21 AM

if the cars been stored a while over the winter the tyres may have 'set' in an odd shape, this most likely if the car was fine before it was put away. All cars or bikes should be stored with the tyres of the ground or turn the wheels regularly.

Getting them very hot will cure this

[Edited on 26/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

paulmw - 26/2/09 at 11:04 AM

My removable boss/wheel isnt a perfect fit so that gives a bit of play

smart51 - 26/2/09 at 11:31 AM

It isn't play. It is a vibration of about 4Hz.

I'll take the wheels to be balanced again at the weekend.

Does tracking cause this? Too much toe in or toe out?

wilkingj - 26/2/09 at 11:44 AM

Also check your wheel nuts are done up properly.
Set them with a Torque wrench.
If you have locking wheelnuts, DONT tighten them with an Air Wrench. It breaks the key, and they the nuts are a Bas*ard to get off.

Guess how I know that!

Also check all steering and suspension joints for any play.

Peteff - 26/2/09 at 12:30 PM

We had similar problems with the Corsa and it was the wheel centres. A set of spigot rings cured it.

smart51 - 27/2/09 at 05:04 PM

I've been out and checked the car. All the joints and things are fine. It turns out there's about 5° of play in the steering rack. Is this a problem? (shortened Sierra quick rack BTW)