Board logo

A suspension measurement favour!
nitram38 - 21/6/10 at 12:38 PM

Some of you know about my hydraulic ram project for raising the rideheight of the MotaLeira.
My car has inboard shocks on cams.
Im interested in how much a 7 will rise up at the front if the front shock is extended by 33mm.
So I'm asking if anyone could try and check it for me?
A friend wants a kit but I'm wondering if 33mm shock extension will be enough?

MikeCapon - 21/6/10 at 02:52 PM

Hi. The only precise measure I have is off a McSorley and the front ratio was 1.8:1 so your 33mm on the shock works out to a bit over 18mm at the wheel.

Hope this helps,

Mike

ETA Oh dear, oh dear. It couldn't have been the drink so I can only put this one down to old age. Correction added in new post.

I need a Terry F*ckwit smiley here.

[Edited on 22/6/10 by MikeCapon]

40inches - 21/6/10 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Hi. The only precise measure I have is off a McSorley and the front ratio was 1.8:1 so your 33mm on the shock works out to a bit over 18mm at the wheel.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Is that correct? Checked my MK front and 3.5inches of shock travel gives 6inches of wheel travel

JF - 21/6/10 at 11:04 PM

Yeah the other way around seems more logical to me aswell. 33mm shock extension being about 60mm at the wheel. If it is indeed 1:1.8

nitram38 - 22/6/10 at 01:49 AM

Just thinking aloud, the ratio is governed from the point the shock meets the wishbone and the distance from the shock mount to the upright centre line. In theory the upright centre line must move through a longer distance than the shock arc. So ride height change must be greater than shock travel.

[Edited on 22/6/2010 by nitram38]

Staple balls - 22/6/10 at 01:56 AM

What you need is some cardboard and some of these.

nitram38 - 22/6/10 at 02:07 AM

Yes I know!
I did have solidworks on my PC and I used to use it.
It would be good if I could get the car actual measurement though, otherwise I will have to get longer rams made.

MikeCapon - 22/6/10 at 08:57 AM

Blimey!! Sorry guys.... Bit of a blonde moment there.

You are all right and I am wrong. 33 X 1.8 = 59.4

Shame I'm too old to go back to school

Cheers,

Mike