Board logo

Best finish for gearbox?
ChrisW - 1/12/10 at 12:24 AM

What's the general consensus in terms of finish for a gearbox? It's a cast ali casing, Ford 'BC' FWD box. I've got to strip the box down to fit the slippy diff, so whilst I'm in there I might as well do the bearings, and whilst I have all the parts out to do that I might as well get the thing looking the part.

I've cleaned it up, and obviously it shines nicely in bare ali, but it'll look crap again after a few weeks on the road.

Is it best to powder coat? Paint? Or some other suggestion?

I did think of anodising, but that's a bit over the top I think. I don't want 'bling', just clean and tidy so I'm proud to open the bonnet rather than having a rusty lump of iron in there.

Chris

procomp - 1/12/10 at 12:36 AM

Satin black

stevebubs - 1/12/10 at 12:44 AM

Anodise in Black rather than red/yellow/blue?

Personally, I'd powercoat or similar.

Q: How does clutch fluid react with powdercoat if you get a leak?

Daddylonglegs - 1/12/10 at 06:18 AM

I've gone with Satin Black for the Bellhousing and Silver for the Main case. Looks fine, but ask me again after a few weeks on the road! (If I ever get it on the road that is )

Macbeast - 1/12/10 at 08:32 AM

gearbox paint job
gearbox paint job

Hammerite

scootz - 1/12/10 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Satin black

+1

RazMan - 1/12/10 at 10:01 AM

I would favour powder coat in silver to keep the 'fresh from the factory' look. If you go for a matt (or maybe satin) finish it will attract the dirt like a magnet. Black cars ALWAYS look dirty and a gearbox is a bugger to clean so you want something quite 'slippery' to dirt. Smoothrite is a good alternative.

marc n - 1/12/10 at 10:31 AM

ive just painted my bmw engine and gearbox, did the gearbox 5 wheel silver aerosol and the engine matt black
also painted my hyabusa turbo engine main casings 5 wheel silver with the bolt on housings and casing in gloss black powdercoat and its transformed it no end, will post some pics this evening

ChrisW - 2/12/10 at 07:42 PM

I'm leaning towards powder coat in silver I think. The block is silver hammerite, and I've had the head and inlet manifold done in black powder coat, so should look good.

Thanks guys.

Chris