Board logo

Heater Valve
myke pocock - 20/1/11 at 09:21 PM

I have finally plumbed in a heater to the Locost to keep 'er indoors happy. However I need a very simple valve to plumb into one hose to turn it on and off. Can anyone suggest one I can get from a scrappy. It needs to be able to operate with a Bowden cable and preferably the valve to turn through 90 degrees to make things simple. Either that or does anyone have one for sale?

AndyRead - 20/1/11 at 09:31 PM

From memory, the old Rover K series engines had a cable operated heater valve by the bulk head.

Should be ten a penny at a scrappy!

BenB - 20/1/11 at 09:34 PM

Proper minis have nice heater valves... cheap if you want to go for NOS option.

ken555 - 20/1/11 at 10:00 PM

The Ford Ka has an electric one, that bypasses the heater matrix when "off" via a solenoid.

Feed it from a variable source and you can control the flow and therefore the heat also.

This means that any flow from the outlet still goes to the bottom hose, not just stopped.

Important on an A series

[Edited on 20-1-11 by ken555]

BenB - 20/1/11 at 10:02 PM

Range rover do a bypass jobby as well.

RazMan - 20/1/11 at 10:22 PM

I used the Ka version with a switch on the dash. Once you figure out where the water is going when the solenoid is activated (it took me a while ) it is a really elegant and easy option.

rusty nuts - 21/1/11 at 07:27 PM

Might help to know what bore pipe you are using? the Rover one would be good if 15mm (IIRC)