Board logo

Gearlever position
Cornishman - 10/8/11 at 08:26 PM

Hi
Hoping for some feedback on gearlever positioning on a Ron Champion book ex 750 club racer.
Fitted with a x flow and Ford 4 speed box as required.

I am in the procress of converting to speed event spec, and one thing that is apparent is the difference in driving position
required for me compared to the previous owner.
I have removed the fibreglass seat and am considering a two pack moulded seat as has been discussed here before.
However despite the pedal box being pretty much in the right place the gearlever is a fair bit too far out of reach.
I have in the past seen "remote extensions" fitted to specials, particularly those based on pre war cars such as Austin Sevens etc and just recently a similar device/concept has appeared on ebay for a type 9 box in a kit car application.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so are there any tips or advice on a solution?

Thanks

Steve

myke pocock - 10/8/11 at 08:54 PM

Look in my photo archive for a copy of an article I wrote for the Locost Club Owners mag some time ago on a mod I developed. I have the mod in my car on a 4 speed box and it works a treat.

Confused but excited. - 10/8/11 at 08:54 PM

Do a search on here.
There is a very easy fix in someones photo archive, done with a bit of square tube and some welding. I am going to copy it when I get to that stage.

Oops. too late!

[Edited on 10/8/11 by Confused but excited.]

trialsman - 10/8/11 at 10:07 PM

Myke, how can I get a readable copy of that article you wrote? Looks like an answer to my prayers. Russ

slingshot2000 - 10/8/11 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by trialsman
Myke, how can I get a readable copy of that article you wrote? Looks like an answer to my prayers. Russ

Myke, I would love to read that, too!

Regards
Jon

Confused but excited. - 10/8/11 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

Regards
Jon

Clue: "Look in my photo archive for a copy of an article I wrote for the Locost Club Owners mag. . . "

myke pocock - 10/8/11 at 11:25 PM

OK guys,
U2U me your names and addresses and I will copy and send you the article.

trialsman - 11/8/11 at 12:28 AM

U2U sent, Thanks

blakep82 - 11/8/11 at 01:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

Regards
Jon

Clue: "Look in my photo archive for a copy of an article I wrote for the Locost Club Owners mag. . . "

not quite that simple, its tiny as the site resizes it, but click

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/2img004.jpg
and click
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/2img002.jpg

for them full size

minitici - 11/8/11 at 07:27 AM

Here are some pictures of the remote gearchange on my Austin 7 special.

Just a bit of 3/4" suare tube with a couple of plates on each end.
A bush is welded to the original gear lever stub.
remote linkage
remote linkage

The remote end uses a 1/2" rod end as a pivot.
gear stick
gear stick

myke pocock - 11/8/11 at 08:30 AM

With my idea, the use of the Triumph remote it means you have to positively push the gearstick down to be able to get into reverse.

Cornishman - 11/8/11 at 11:11 PM

Thanks for replys.
That clarifies it for me, I was thinking of building a remote stick, like I have experienced on other vehicles
but just wanted to see if others have or had similar issues?
Now I know its common I feel happier going to the trouble of making something!!

Steve