Board logo

English axle casing
Cornishman - 14/3/12 at 07:33 PM

Following on from the topic earlier on this forum regarding live axle straightening and deliberate mods to camber and toe in I'd like to ask for some more advice.

I have been experimenting with welding and measuring the axle I inherited in the car. It was fairly bad to start with and after some welding I can improve it, but not enough.

The original builder caused a lot of problems removing the exisiting and fitting the new brackets and caused a lot of distortion. I have managed to "move" the problem by welding beads on and can nearly get 0 camber and 0 toe but the flange on the O/S is badly out?
I now think that it may have had a knock in the past as the halfshaft/bearing assembly does not fit in correctly, gthe flange is that far out!

So now I am going to look for another casing or axle to start from scratch, BUT I am concerned that if I weld on the radius arm brackets without a jig or something to hold everything then my welding will cause similar distortion to the previous axle that I am trying to fix!

Has anyone on here made their own axle or do most people just get the kit supplier to weld on the axle brackets as they presumably have a jig to ensure everything ends up straight and true?

Any advice much appreciated

thanks

Steve

itsawindupuk - 1/1/14 at 02:38 PM

Im curious also as I want to weld on my axle, and advice?