Board logo

A(nother) tyre choice question..
MikeCapon - 7/10/12 at 07:40 AM

I know this is a much debated subject but searching has not yielded a clear answer.

The car is a mid engined lightweight (550kg/110hp) runnning for the moment Yoko Neovas (?) The owner is looking for some new rubber for road use with the following priority list, most important to least important..

1. dry grip 2. comfort 3. wet grip 4. tyre life

Oh and the current sizes are a bit wacky: 195/50/15 fronts and 225/45/16 rears

Any offers?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Fizzer - 7/10/12 at 07:54 PM

loads of tyres will give you dry grip, A-021 yoko's will give you wet grip too and are great kit car road tyres. But, if you do a track day you'll kill them.
539's are more robust but lack outright grip
R888's are cheap and great in the dry but REALLY bad in the wet.

designer - 7/10/12 at 08:32 PM

Hi Mike

This is a question that can never be answered simply, too many variables.

But one thing is constant: the lower the tyre profile the harder the ride as tyres are the first level of suspension.

MikeCapon - 8/10/12 at 09:11 AM

Thanks for your replies. Useful stuff.

I'm aware of the profile/harshness issues Derek. In fact this is for a car I'm developing a new suspension (dampers, springs, ride heights etc etc) set up for so the trye performance becomes part and parcel of the whole project.

Equally the availability of the tyres in question in the sizes my customer wants to run will have the final say...

I'll get some pics up next weekend when we have the car in the workshop.

Cheers,

Mike

adithorp - 8/10/12 at 10:00 AM

Toyo R1R might be a good choice. Like an 888 but with more cuts. Not checked size availability though (unfortunatly they're not done in 13"

Oddified - 8/10/12 at 12:40 PM

Got Federal RSR's on my 'toy' at the moment.....very good

Again, not checked availability for the rear sizes, but i know they do 195/50/15.

Ian