Board logo

Ford Pinto rocker cover gasket installation
xico_ze54 - 7/5/13 at 10:44 PM

hi all

I'm installing a Ford Pinto rocker cover gasket. it is applied in the dry or it needs some kind of glue/mastic?

other thing I noticed is the new gasket doesn't have the little metalic inserted pins near the holes, that I think prevent the overtighning. is that normal?

cheers
Amadeu

[Edited on 7/5/13 by xico_ze54]

Aaron_n_Sim - 7/5/13 at 10:52 PM

You don't need any sealant but it wouldn't hurt to use a small amount of gasket seal, never seen metal in a pinto rocker gasket & I've changed a lot of them over the yrs

[Edited on 7/5/13 by Aaron_n_Sim]

mookaloid - 7/5/13 at 10:54 PM

I have used a smear of grease on the gasket which works reasonably well - it also means that it comes apart from easily too. I have also used silicone instant gasket with the cork one which gives a really good seal.

Never seen the metal pins that you mention though

Cheers

M

andylancaster3000 - 7/5/13 at 10:55 PM

Yes the better gaskets have the little pins in them. They act as load limiters and prevent you from over compressing the gasket. I tend to bond the gasket to the rocker cover with hylomar. This allows you to remove the cover from time to time without having to replace the gasket on each occasion.

xico_ze54 - 7/5/13 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_n_Sim
You don't need any sealant but it wouldn't hurt to use a small amount of gasket seal, never seen metal in a pinto rocker gasket & I've changed a lot of them over the yrs

[Edited on 7/5/13 by Aaron_n_Sim]

thanks for answer
I saw in almost old Pintos cover gaskets tiny bits of metal (steel?), say mini cylinders before and after the bolt holes. they would measure about 2,5mm ( 3/32" ) in diameter and the same high of cork gasket.

cheers

[Edited on 7/5/13 by xico_ze54]

Thailoz - 8/5/13 at 12:09 AM

I have also seen the gasket with and with out the metal inserts as mentioned .
I used to use a small amount of blue hylomer or grease to keep it in the rocker cover whilst fitting.

DO NOT over tighten just nip it up.

if it leaks you can always go round and nip up a little tighter.

Not Anumber - 8/5/13 at 09:44 AM

The only word of caution is make sure you have the correct gasket. Though the cam covers for the injected and non injected engines are interchangeable between engine they do need the right gasket to suit.