Board logo

custom hand brake cables
samjc - 12/4/14 at 09:01 AM

Hi all ive had a quick look over the net for custom handbrake cables to suit my kit. I have a volvo 740 rear brake setup and the cables are not long enough to get to my mx5 lever i am using. So far ive email a few places and only cable tech got back to me with a quote of £80 for the pair is this a usual price ? As i have nothing to compare with.

thank you for any help anyone can offer.

owelly - 12/4/14 at 09:21 AM

Not an answer to your question, but, when I was looking for handbrake cables for my Diahatsu calipers I bought a job jot of random cables off Ebay, found one that did the job and used the part number to order another to match for the other side. I still have the box of random cables so if you tell me what size you want and what ends you need, I'll have a look to see if I have something.

samjc - 12/4/14 at 10:14 AM

Haha i was very tempted to do the same but ill get a picture n length for you and let you know. My biggest issue is the 740 cable has no sleeve so the cable has to be straight or it will rub.

owelly - 12/4/14 at 11:50 AM

Would it not be possible to make a bracket to hold an outer cable? It makes routing a bit easier.

ETA a piccy of my brakes showing how I grafted on a cable outer bracket...

[Edited on 12/4/14 by owelly]

plutos3 - 12/4/14 at 04:30 PM

Thers a company called speedy cables thats who made mine

redturner - 12/4/14 at 05:19 PM

Dont know whether they are connected but I always use Speedograph Richfield here in Nottingham.....

CosKev3 - 12/4/14 at 06:12 PM

Take a look at Trailertec, they do different length cables and are a good price