Board logo

Correct Flare?
adamswifty - 14/8/15 at 05:41 PM

Hello,

I'm in the process of changing the master cylinder to a fiat one. I bought a draper flare kit, which iv'e got reasonable results with. The question is.... is the single flare in the image ok for male unions or do I need a double/bubble/other flare?

Description
Description

adithorp - 14/8/15 at 05:46 PM

The picture appears to be a double (concave) flare. Probably not right but would need to seen the hole in the master.

adamswifty - 14/8/15 at 06:00 PM

Ok, I just put the pipe into the clamp bar, then just used the v shape flare tool to flare. The instructions refer to it as a single flare, though when looking online I cannot see many references to this type.

rash12 - 14/8/15 at 06:24 PM

looks wrong way round to me

[Edited on 14/8/15 by rash12]

theconrodkid - 14/8/15 at 06:28 PM

what rash said ^^^...have a look down the port in the master,it will be the oposite of what you put on the pipe

adamswifty - 14/8/15 at 06:29 PM

Yeah, its definitely not that type, its essentially just a tapered v, looks like I'll need to change.

rash12 - 14/8/15 at 06:30 PM

craig1410 - 14/8/15 at 06:34 PM

Note that a double flare is not formed purely using the V shaped tool, you need to form a convex single flare using the former first then use the V shaped tool to fold it in on itself. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fmF9mm3hsM

I realise this may not be what you need for your master cylinder but a lot of DIY'ers are not aware how the double flare is formed.

adamswifty - 14/8/15 at 06:45 PM

What has thrown me (apart from a lack of experience!) is the draper manual referred to it as a single. I can find another link to that type (image 4), though as highlighted this isn't the correct type for the master cylinder.
Description
Description

[Edited on 14/8/15 by adamswifty]

[Edited on 14/8/15 by adamswifty]

nickm - 14/8/15 at 07:30 PM

Hi
A male is shaped like a knob end when you make a female you should always make a male knob end first and then convert the knob end to female.
If you get a few inches of copper pipe and join them with connectors you will end up doing one male knob end with one half and with the other a male knob end which is then flared again with the female attachment.
You should never just do a single female flare as you will end up with very thin "lips" which when you tighten the joint they can break off and leak.
I always wrap the joints when first done with a scrap of material and check later that they are dry to prove the joint.
With the connectors the male goes into the female and the male has a male end and the female a female.
Hope this helps

Nick M

adamswifty - 14/8/15 at 08:05 PM

Thanks Nick, will re-flare

40inches - 14/8/15 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nickm
Hi
A male is shaped like a knob end when you make a female you should always make a male knob end first and then convert the knob end to female.
If you get a few inches of copper pipe and join them with connectors you will end up doing one male knob end with one half and with the other a male knob end which is then flared again with the female attachment.
You should never just do a single female flare as you will end up with very thin "lips" which when you tighten the joint they can break off and leak.
I always wrap the joints when first done with a scrap of material and check later that they are dry to prove the joint.
With the connectors the male goes into the female and the male has a male end and the female a female.
Hope this helps

Nick M

Wot he said.

russbost - 15/8/15 at 12:12 PM

You should never use the "V" shaped tool to make a flare without first putting a single flare on the pipe, I'm surprised it hasn't split around the edge!